1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what in ed's red could gunk up my .38?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

what in ed

figure equal parts of dextron, kerosene, mineral spirits and acetone. what in this mix could gunk up a gun stored in a hot car for a year? thanks

2. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

You're kidding, right?

Well, I imagine the mixture was meant for short term cleaning, and not, for long term storage under extreme conditions. Correct?

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

The Dextron!!! It's oil with a large dose of hydraulic detergents, the oil breaks down and the detergent turns to sticky stuff. A little more mineral spirits should clean it up.

Chuck

4. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Ed's Red is a very toxic solution which is great for shotgun bore cleaning,especially for removing plastic wadding. But I never leave it in the bore after cleaning. Left in the gun, I'm not surprised that it gunked it up.

Ned

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Ned, are you crazy? Ed's Red is a very toxic solution? Look at the ingredients
    they are at best slightly toxic. If it were very toxic, all the users would be dead. Have you ever used it? Are you still alive? Obviously it is not very toxic or you would be sick or dead. All of the news media tries to scare the hell out of people and most are ignorant of toxicology.

Mike

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Ed says strawberry pop.

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Mike, I don't recommend drinking any of the ingredients in Ed's Red. I think you might find them quite toxic.

jim brown

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I made some of this stuff years ago right off this site! My memory is certainly not what it used to be, but I do recall it is not "equal parts"?! I made it per the original recipe from this site. I still have some in a 2# coffee can and it sure as hell has not poisoned me or "gunked" up that can. I still use out of it several times a year and it is runny and thin as ever! No, I will not drink it but it sure looks good enough to drink! Tom Rhoads

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's equal parts Automatic Transmission Fluid, Rain-X, and regular Tihitian Treat soda pop (using "diet" is what gunks up your gun). Shake hard for fizz if using as bore cleaner.

-Gary

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think the acetone will get you in the end...

As stated, don't drink the stuff...

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

BigM thanks for that link.

Does anybody know what you could use in place of lanolin, maybe mineral oil?

1-lb. of pure lanolin is $17.00 on E-bay without shipping.

Wayne

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Lanolin is optional.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I use Eds red and I do leave it in the bore! That is what the lanolin and the ATF fluid are for. I also use it on my triggers. Never had a single problem. I use it for all my rifles as well. The only thing about eds red is that it won't remove copper fouling from rifle barrels. Once in a while I have to use a solvent to remove copper. Jeff

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Are you guys saying I should stop putting Ed's Red on my breakfast eggs?

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Chuck, Surely you are not serious about Dextron turning to "sticky stuff." Just how often do you change the Dextron in your transmission?

16. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Try "Kroil" oil. It is good stuff, just has a strong industrial smell.

17. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Mike:
    You evidently haven't read the Danger warning on a bottle of Ed's Red. Properly handled, it's great stuff.I wear gloves and a painter's mask, as recommended, and always work in an open area.
    Kroil is also very effective, and I use it often, but with the same precautions.

Ned

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There's no "T" in Dexron.

And I wouldn't drink it either.

19. jwells

jwells Member

would someone post up the original recipe for eds red. i made some years ago and it worked well.

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

jwells-look at BigM-Perazzi post and open the link in it. Thats the original.

I'm still looking for a lanolin substitute. Google has not helped. Might try some mineral oil.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.