1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What if the Grand was in September?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ATP71, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATP71

ATP71 TS Member

This conversation has taken place many times and it seems to have benefits and downsides. Supporters of the August date always seem to center they're conversation on the kids and vacation times which makes sense. September advocates center there discussion on the August heat, but I was thinking about the shoot year and the Grand in early August as a negative because it ends the year to early. Most states and most clubs compete for a limited number of summer shoot dates, with many state shoots held on the same weekend. Would it make sense to move the Grand to September and free up the whole month of August for shoots throughout the county.

What do you other shooters think? Am I wrong to think the Grand in early August drastically shortens the summer shooting season for many states and clubs?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Where are you going to get the help if it takes place in September? Kids will be in school and therefor not able to act as scorers.

How many Farmers would be excluded from participating at the Grand if you held it during the fall harvest?

Seems to me to be a no brainer on when the Grand is held.

ss

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Are you saying that if you offered temporary employment for several hundred people in an area that has essentially no job opportunities that you would have trouble filling those positions? Kids are not required to run a successful trap shoot and moving the shoot to cooler less humid September with less chance of those strong storms that frequent the midwest during the summer months sure would be nice.

JK

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If the young folks are in school, how could they participate?

Ed Yanchok

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, what of those people required to take their vacation time during summer months? Or teachers in addition to farmers and students, high school or collegiate?

Of course there's always 'just' the retired group...

I like it in August a great decision made years ago.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That idea has been kicked around on numerous occasions and mid-August always becomes the chosen time frame. I agree that more appealing weather conditions would probably draw more entries but I also have to wonder how many junior and sub-juniors would compete and if the kids being in school wouldn't keep some parents from coming.

I remember our gang used to go to the old Pinehurst (North Carolina) Gun Club every April for their Dogwood Open and a welcome break from Pennsylvania's winter weather. Once, I persuaded our son's elementary school principal to give him an excused absence for those four days in return for him bringing back a trash bag-full of the huge pine cones from that area. At age nine, in his first year as an ATA member and shooting a cut-down 20-gauge 1100 with skeet loads, he won the high junior singles champion trophy with a 154 - he was the only kid there!

By the way, at age 29, he still wears that belt buckle.

Ed

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

How about Christmas vacation?????? Solves many problems--school is out---harvest is done----not too hot--- not too likely to have any tornados-- very few annoying bugs--less mud-- and hold it in Donna Tx., that everyone including those from north Tx. could B%%%ch about how far they have to travel-- etc.. chuckle-chuckle Ross Puls

8. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Those of us who work in the tourist industry cannot take off in the summer, how are we going to shoot? Maybe we should rotate it from summer to fall.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The dates are a week later next year. August 8-18 2012

10. philk

philk Member

Most bird seasons open mid Sept.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Are you saying that if you offered temporary employment for several hundred people in an area that has essentially no job opportunities that you would have trouble filling those positions?"

Yep!!! I'd say you'd have a hard time getting enough people to work the jobs required and for the wages being paid. Not saying that's a good thing but reality.

The work issue is just one of many many issues you'd encounter. What about all the shooters you would lose because their schools started again. You would have to shove every school's starting dates back across the Country and then ask them to go to school longer in the spring. How will the non-shooters across the Country recieve that news? Just look at the leaderboard for the last 2 weeks at all the Sub-Junior and Junior shooters. That dosen't even include college shooters and school teachers that shoot.

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Schools in NC and FL are open during the Grand. I know of some promising young shooters who were told by their school principal that they could not take off during the first weeks of school.

I would love to see the Grand start during the 4th of July. Great way to thank our fore fathers for their insight in creating our county and a great way to rember the importance of firearms in maintaing our freedom.

Phil Berkowitz

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My understanding is NC is august 25 unless a waiver to open earlier is granted. The waivers that have been given are currently a subject of a lawsuit...

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If it was in September (cooler) I'd be there.

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

It would still be in IL only in September.

Rock

Jim

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

How about leaving it where it is and ending all discussion on it.

Rock you just keep whimpering and it is going to stay in IL for many years to come.

As far as trap help - give me the kids/students. I have seen some of the unemployed you get and they can't add, don't give a crap and will hurt the shoot.

Don

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

"What If It Was In October"??? Break-em all. Jeff

18. mbbutler

mbbutler TS Member

Many of us in sales positions are unable to take time off during the last month of each calendar quarter. If the Grand was held in September, many on us would not be able to attend.

19. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

The NSSA and the NCSA both heard all of the same arguements about moving their dates. The world skeet shoot was in mid July in San Antonio and that ended the competitive shooting year. They moved it to Oct. and it not only extended the shooting year by 2 1/2 months with dramatic targets increases but also made San Antonio a great place to shoot in the fall.
    The sporting clays was the first of Sept. in San Antonio and people just didn't like the heat. When they moved to late Oct. the entries have increased every year.
    Most people gear up for the biggest shoot of the year in their sport so the later you have it the more shooting the people are going to do. At least that is what has happened in skeet and sporting clays and they both had all of the same problems with people saying it wouldn't work.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just how many shooters do the skeeters and the sporties get at their shoot. The Grand had over 3300 shooters so I think it affects a lot more shooters.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.