1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What I tell my Anti-Gun Acquaintances

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Porcupine, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

In the defense of the lifestyle we have freely chosen as owners of firearms, I believe 'taking the higher road' is a better way to counter the arguments of anti-gunners. What I mean by this is discussing gun ownership using paramters all (or most) Americans understand, even if they don't initially agree. Using this method, it matters less that someone agrees with me as long as they don't disagree with me (it's a very complex issue, we can admit). An example of my 'Higher Road' (a recent blog): "We, as Americans, enjoy living in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, and the majority of Americans know that their Freedoms and their Rights must be protected from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. That's why the Second Amendment exists." This level of discourse de-emphasizes the 'us versus them' mentality and at least tells the fence-sitters, whom at least should be NOT against us, that we are protecting their way of life as well as our own. Most Americans who are ambivalent about 'gun issues' understand this level of argument, and this is why, at least on a national scale, we will win. Just my $0.02.

LA in MA

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Just ask them to please respect your civil rights and stop trying to curtail them.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

I just say, "If I want to own an AK-47, it's none of your damn business! A certain amount of death is the price we pay for living in a FREE COUNTRY."

Works every time. I know I've persuaded a ton of them, because they never argue with me again.

4. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I recently went in to recieve a series of injections in my back. My tee shirt was a second amendment slogan. The doctors first comment was what do I think of a gun band. Didn't know how to react because this guy was about to stick me Twenty six times. I simply said I support my second amendment rights but quickly turned the topic to armed teachers being in the schools. I said I felt it was wrong to have untrained teachers that could be possibly overtaken by some crazy. I felt there should be a two door system at every school. First set of doors installed with a metal detector. With a phone to call to get permission to enter. If you clear the detector and you belong you have a swipe card to enter where you are then checked by a trained armed guard. Someone that possibly has police or military training. Everyone I find out was anti-gun but like my solution. Everything went well with the procedure

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Since I'm retired, I have divested from any anti-gun friends. I have fewer friends but the ones I have are the best. BT100dc

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

A true Friend is one who will lay down His life for YOU. And God says so!!

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A friend will help you move.

A true friend will come over and format you hard drive, if you die!

A true friend will help you hide the body!

A true friend will will be sitting along side of you in a jail cell saying "Damn! That was a lot of fun!"

A true friend will tell his wife that he was at your house helping to fix your reloader.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Many folks that I run into are afraid of firearms and feel they are unsafe ... I tell them that I have $5 million of liability insurance and pay $7.95 per year for the coverage. That demonstrates that firearms are safe. Then we move into the area of the criminal use of firearms and mental illness issues. Bill Malcolm

9. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Oh--that is a cool sign. regards Bob

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That is a good sign

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Here's what I tell them.

Danny

dmarbell_2008_030359.jpg

12. Onceabum