1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What I saw Saturday night at trapshoot.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What I saw was indoor card shooting w/approx 40 cards could be shot, The guns were built especially for card shooting, they were shooting 2 ounces of shot 2 drams of powder, #12 shot, these were a factory loaded shell, boxed 25 shells to the box,they did not have a shot cup, just over the powder card.

If my memory serves me right the boxes said Wagner on them, they were white shell boxes, the one I looked at said #10s.

The guns mostly were custom made for card shooting. Some were bolt action models, some were pump action models, some had scopes on them, and some had short tri-pods mounted on them, The Bbls on most were approx 1 inch diameter stainless steel, one had an Aluminum stock, that was hollowed out like a skeleton stock, and one the Bbl would retract.

Barrels were very long I estimate 36" to 48" long.

One I was told sold for $7,500. And I heard him tell a guy that he won $1250 with it at the last shoot.

He stated that it weighed in excess of 40 lbs, he said try hunting with it.

The cards they were shooting at were 3x5 with a circle and X. These cards were actually riddled w/shot.

The distance I would guess was around approx 40 feet, and they had exhaust fans running. The had a special backstop to collect the shot, and it was an indoor lighted range.

This was at the Snake Road Buddy shoot located near Shenandoah north of Mansfield, Ohio, Richland County.

I did not ask what the entry fee was per individual shoots were.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Wow, I bet that would get the pattern experts going. I wonder how short thier shot string was? LOL

CM

Yes photo's, it would be interesting to see these guns.

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I sold a milling machine to a guy who built these exact type guns about 10 years ago, they shot federal paper hull #9's.. the choke was so tight it would shave a ring of plastic off the wad that you could wear on your little finger.. the guns were fitted with high power scopes and were shot from a bench rest.. some guns were 8 feet long.. the object was to shoot a card with a 1 inch red square in the center.. if you made the red completely disappear you would win or tie someone.. the cards were scored with a lighted magnifying glass.. if any red was left..even dust, the card would be tossed out.. most of the shoots were in old chicken houses

4. DANNY

DANNY Member

Dr. Longshot, I belong to a club that holds this kind of shoot. It is our only means of income.
    I am the one that judges these cards.
    We use the Wagner shells, but the ones we use are 2-3/4 dram 1-1/8 oz. of 9's. The shells are very expensive. I think we are paying about $9.00 per box at this time & we have to go pick them up.
    It is about a 4 1/2 hr. drive one way.
    I personally feel the quaility of this shell is poor, we have alot of miss fires.
    You can see through the hull where the wad pedal is folded down & shot is on the outside of it.
    When the shooters see this they ask for another shell. So we end up with alot of worthless shells.
    I have tried firing several of the miss fired shells through my factory Kreighoff & it sometimes takes 2-3 trigger pulls to get the shell to go off. Wagner more or less says tough sh**t about it.
    Unfortunatly this is the shell that the shooters demand & if you do not use this shell they do not spend their money at our shoot.
    Guess what? No shooters, no bills get paid.

If I ever figure out how to take pictures & post them on this site, I would like for the readers of this site to see some of these exodict guns these guy's have built to shoot this game.

5. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Danny,

If you get the pics I can help you or post them.

Let me know ,
    Scott

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I had a stock Wingmaster with a 30" fixed full choke barrel that was a card shooting mochine. It shot the tightest patterns!. It was just a freak. My brother and I won a bunch of money and meat with that 870. People always accused us of cheating, but we weren't. It was a good turkey gun, too.

I traded it for a Triumph motorcycle that my girlfriend wanted. Dumbest thing I ever did.

7. millerm12

millerm12 Member

im glad to see snake road back up and going.they dumped a bunch of money into there club.ive always liked going there,great jackpot shoots and turkey shoots and always a good bunch of guys to hang out with.never did the turkey shoot but its easy to see its pretty popular with those guys.ive gone there for many years now and its one of my favorite places to go shoot protectors and 60 bird program.if you have never been there i highly recommend it.

8. rayman

rayman Member

Object is to take out the red dot in the center of the target.
    small dot with #9's And 1/4 " dot with #10's.

Ray

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Sounds very cool:) Here are a couple sites I came up with after a quick Google search:

http://cardshootbarrels.com/

http://www.billsaccuracy.com/shotguns.htm

http://www.guncustomizing.com/match.htm

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I can just see the anti's calling these "sniper shotguns".

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The shells were 2 drams of powder, 2 ounces #10 shot the box was marked 2/2/10
    Like I said no shot cup, just over the powder cards.

The next time I go I will take some pictures and post them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.