1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What I know and what I don't

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Juno, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juno

Juno TS Member

You know guys, and I mean women too. I really appreciate you all putting up with me. It's obvious to you all that I don't know a hell of a lot about Trap shooting, though my father was a great shot. I spent many an hour at clubs with him.I used to pull for him and set for him. Thats probably, no, that is the reason I'm here now. I miss the hell out of him and this is a way I guess to kind of stay connected. I read a lot here and am learning a lot, of course most of the time it's about peoples likes and dislikes and their quirky behaviors. But thats great to me. Ya, I get out to the Trap club then and again, some hunting. Though not near as much as I'd like. But you all make up for it! So pat yourselves on the a$$ for just being you!! Thanks.
    Juno

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You are welcome at any club I've ever been to, Juno. Just come on out, express what you have written here, and you will have a dozen friends in an instant. Really. All you have to do is walk in, say those same impressive words or something like them, and they will mob you. Guaranteed.

Neil

3. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

I know what you mean juno. I am a 3rd genereation trapshooter. Every time I step on the field I think of my late grandfather. He loved shooting and he loved us kids. Now I love going to the club and trying to beat my dad at the game! I now have a 16 yr old son that also likes to shoot and is on an sctp team. Stay close to the club and keep the memories closer. good luck shootin.
    dave walp

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Listen to Neil's words. I've made more friends in 20 minutes during a round of skeet or trap and sporting than any week in another society.....breakafew.....Bob Dodd

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Juno.... Neil is spot on in his reply, as is Bob Dodd. In fact, one of the first trapshooters I met when I started shooting registerd trap was Bob Dodd. He and I shot many, many rounds at the Redding Gun Club. If you ever get to Eureka, California, contact me and your first couple rounds of trap are on me. You are welcome to shoot with us anytime...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I feel the same way. Used to shoot all over the country with my dad. He is long since passed away and I miss him. Still wear one of his old shooting buckles that he won at the pre grand shoot at Linn Creek. It came with a $20.00 gold piece originally but he sold the coin and replaced it with an 1893 Silver Dollar lol. It is now the Summer Handicap. Great times were had and are still remembered. Hang in there and you will always have the memories that you are building today.

Thanks for a good post.

Take care my friend, John

7. psfive

psfive Member

My father and I spent countless hours in the field hunting everything. I'll NEVER forget that time! As far as I know in his eighty years he never set foot on a trap field. He would have loved it. My son shoots on a high school team and we hunt when we can. I help coach and do whatever I can to help the kids. My son and I are making the same memories my father and I did. Time spent together shooting. Dad is a long time gone and I miss him daily. However when we are at the club I can see Dad in the guys at the club. What a great place for a father (me) and his son! The knowledge flows freely from the guys at the club to fill in in the blanks between the things that I know. Paul

8. Juno

Juno TS Member

I'm revamping this thread in appreciation to "ALL" fathers here at TS.COM.<br>

"Keep Fighting The Good Fight"<br>Juno

9. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I have been fortunate to have been a member of 3 clubs that were and are very friendly to newcomers. (That is the way it should be). I don't shoot as much as I used to but I still go out to the club nearly every weekend and socialize with the regulars and say hello to the newcomers. The ideal gun club is like "Cheers" "Where everybody knows your name". I go out and shoot a round or 2 or just smoke a cigar and drink coffee, but it is still all good. I have gone through these periods of burnout before over the last 30 years of trapshooting, but I have never not wanted to go out to the club. Just not as interested in shooting. I will get the bug again, as before. Today, I pulled FITASC for a couple of friends and they let me shoot a few targets. I think I may have been bitten again!!

I have met a lot of people through my life and I can say that the quality of people that I have met at Trap Clubs is superior to those that I have met in general!!!

I don't know how "on topic" this post is but what I am trying to say is GET OUT TO THE GUN CLUB AND HAVE SOME FUN!!! If you go out on the line and think about your dad, that is great. I'm sure he is up there and smiling at you and maybe chuckling a bit as you raise your head on a straightaway!!! My dad died when I was 12 and we never shot together. He was an avid Duck Hunter and when I was sitting out in the blind in later years, I would think about him, once in a while. I hunted the same club that he did. I miss my DAD too!!!! I sometimes think how my life would be different if he had lived longer..... I am on the verge of getting maudlin so I think I will stop now. Adult beverages can do that to a person!!!

TO ALL FATHERS OUT THERE, SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN WITH YOUR KIDS. YOU AND THEY WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

Gene

10. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, I've got the flip-side forya...my father introduced me to shooting and for that I should be grateful, but with his mentorship all I learned was that 2nd place was 1st LOSER. It wasn't until after I had disassociated from my family that I learned that shooting is supposed to be fun, and that 'good person' and 'elite shooter' aren't necessarily the same thing. I've spent the last 20 years trying to apologise to nice people I made a 'horses ass' in front of in those first few years. Sometimes it would be nice if the acorn fell a little further from the tree. No disrespect intended to anyone here. Respectfully yours-Graham.

11. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I never got the opportunity to shoot or hunt with my father. He just wasn't into the same things as I was growing up. We never really did much together. No baseball, football, or any of the other things a father and son would enjoy together. He did however support the fact that I enjoyed trapshooting. He would drive me to the club and pick me up at the end of the day every weekend, and I do remember one freezing cold winter day where he sat in the back of the pickup and set and pulled the targets for me to shoot out of the old Trius hand set machine. So I don't get to miss the times we shot or hunted together, or enjoyed a game together in person or on tv. But he did teach me one thing, to spend the time with my own boys doing the things they like to do. To give them some memories to cherish of spending time with their Dad. For that knowledge I am grateful to him. Steve

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i am in somewhat the same boat as 1ljutic1. My dad did not shoot but loved to tell jokes and enjoy talking with all the people at the club. He played golf and I did not. We did go places and mom, dad and I did enjoy family life. I remember the time my dad made a bet with me. First time I get a 25 straight he would buy me a trap gun. Ran 24 and missed the last one. All the people knew what was going on and they immediately jumped up and called it a broken target and I had to shoot it over. Well finally hit that one and had a 25. Dad didn't really care as he was having fun. Still remember that day and it was about 1960. Father's day means a lot but you all need to remember father and mother all the time and not just today. Motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.