1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What I have learned about "Shingles".

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Coyote 270, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

What I have learned about "Shingles"

1. if you are over 60, get the dam Shingles Vacine
    2. if you are over 60, get the dam Shingles vacine
    3. if you are over 60, do not, I repeat, Do NOT think you are a better Doctor than the Real Doctors.

I had thought that I had just slept wrong and had a sore neck and shoulder but it was the onset of Shingles. If I wouldnt have been such a "Man" I would have gotten my MetroSexual butt to the Doc last week and all this crap would be over by now.
    Now, the bath with the Epsom Salts and Calimine lotion are my whole world and it sure is helping.
    But, as I said, GET THE SHINGLES VACINE IF YOU ARE OVER 60 and you will, in most cases, not have the luxury of suffering Lifes little experiences.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

What I have learned about

coyote 70: I too refused the singles vaccine last year. (I was 65 at the time). I got the shingles in March of this year. Not pleasant. I was lucky whereas my shingles lasted only 4 months. When I visited my doctor he told me that getting the vaccine is not a guarantee that I would not get the shingles virus. He did say that my chances for not getting shingles would improve 50% compared to not getting the vaccine. I agree it is not pleasant. I have talked to people who have had this condition for over a year! I surely do not envy them. Ed

3. running bear

running bear Member

I didn't get the shot and got the singles in June, still have pain from them

Buck

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had them a few years ago, it felt like someone was twisting a screwdriver in my ear when I tried to lay down and get some rest ... I was lucky and the Doctor caught them on the first day that I had them and they still hung on for several months ... My Father had then for over two years, even though the rash was gone in a few weeks the pain lingered for months after they said he was over them ... They sure ain't for kids ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Just learned about the Shingles vaccine from my Doc. I was mulling it over but you gentlemen have convinced me to make an appointment and "get the damn shot."

Thanks. Sometimes we all need a little reminder boost. I got mine today.

Kenny Ray

6. Hellcat

Hellcat TS Member

You don't need the vacine if your under 60?

7. 3200SK Robinson

3200SK Robinson TS Member

If I remember, many yrs ago my doctor told me they derive from the breakout of the chicken pox and afterwards the virus sometimes settles in the lower back and stays dorment for years until something triggers it (like some traumatic experience you go through) and you have a breakout mostly over the age of 50 but chances of coming out again was slim because the virus had been weaken over the years. Correct me if this is not correct. I did have a breakout on my lower back and right rump for about 2 mo. back in '04 doc gave me some patches laced with medicine and it was VERY uncomfortable. Been ok since.

Richard

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've had shingles twice. The story that you can't get them more than once is "Crap." Both times I got to the Dr within 48 hours and they were cured by taking a prescription medicine. Later, I got the vaccine. We have a club member that's had them between three and four years with much, much pain.

9. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

check that website out, alot of good info.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had them last year and the worst of it was in my crotch and buttock and some on my left side. I thought it was part of another ailment(lichens planus) I was going through and didn't seek medical attention as I was already on medicine. Wrong. Months later it was gone and boy was I glad. I still haven't had the shot as I was told not to worry about it since I had already had the shingles and that I would be highly unlikely to get them again. Jackie B.

11. 3200SK Robinson

3200SK Robinson TS Member

Booger, I stated SLIM of getting them again, didn't state NEVER! I don't go to that doctor anymore he liked to bilk my insurance TOO MUCH!

Good Shooting!
    Richard

12. lowbaselarry

lowbaselarry Member

If you had chicken pox and are over 60 I would encourage you to get the shingles shot. No matter how much it cost. I had some physical problems last year and ended up with the shingles. The actual shingles last 3 to 5 weeks so I am told. If you are one of the lucky ones,as I am, you can end up with postherpedic neuralgia(nerve damage). Initialy, in my case for about three weeks, 5 or 6 times a day a pain would hit that I would consider a 10. It would last for 2 or 3 minutes and was unreal. I've had it for over 16 months and it has become less severe although I still can't stand to have anything touch the back of my head or neck or upper back. I've cut all the collars off my shirts and cut off the material on my right side, higher up. Any wind is uncomfortable especially when it is a cold wind. A full nights sleep is just not possible. I still shoot trap and my scores are a joke. But what the hell, this is what we do. If you are a candidate, get the shot. Not to do so would be doing yourself a great disservice.

Larry Marvier

13. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Larry,

I hope the pain and discomfort ends for you soon. I wish the same to all who have the shingles.

BB

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I got the shingles 10 years ago, and since then, I've got the shot.

I encourage anyone to "get the shot" if you are over 60.

I can also say, if you get the shingles, you aren't going to like it!

Hauxfan!

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Along time ago , my mother had them and she was about 60+ and she suffered too but don`t think that under 60 you can`t get them as my one son in his late 30`s got them. No one else in the family had them as far as I know but this new information of a vaccine has me wondering if I should get it going on 70 . I sure don`t need any more to go wrong in my life . I have always been skeptical of shots , especially the flu shot which I heard you may get the flu after receiving one that I always pass when asked by my Doc

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shingles will also affect your internal organs, we just had a young lady(30's)die from shingles on her brain.

I got them a couple of years ago and I was one of the lucky ones as it was a very mild case. One of our pharmacies gives the shot but told me I didn't need it after having shingles once already. I think I will get one else where after reading some of you have had it multiple time already. Plus I'm lucky enough to have my insurance pay full price for it.

17. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

If you are VA just ask. They will give it to you immediately. Jimmy Borum

18. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Does Medicare and/or Tricare pay for the shingles shot?

BTW, I have had shingles more than a dozen times. The first timeI was about 30 years old. Each time except one the outbreak was on my forehead. Each case was less severe than the previous. The last case was on my trunk. It was very mild. I thought I was had insect bites that itched a little. Coincidentally, I had a dermatologist appointment at that time and he pointed out how the how the outbreak followed the nerve pattern on my trunk. He took a scraping and determined it was Herpes zoster. Since I have outbreaks so often I keep Valtrex on hand.

19. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

GET THE SHOT! Don't wait unti you are 60. Many doctors use 50 as the bench mark. I got the shot at age 60 after a club member got shingles. My wife put off the shot and at age 55 got a bad case of the shingles. DON'T BE STUBBORN... GET THE SHOT AT ANY COST!! Fred

20. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

On the way out to workl one morning I bumped into my truck fender on the right side of my ribs.Didn't think much of it till about 4 days later. Started to get a feeling like I was brused on the inside and thought it was from the bump on the side. I thought strange it was just showing up. Got worse as the next couple of days went on. Started to itch also in the same area and began to burn. Went to the Dr. Took my shirt off and he said you got shingles. Got some medicene and he said as soon as you are over this come back and get a vacine for the shingles. Said the shot only cost about 30.00. He then explained how you get the shingles, usually from a tramitic experience and that is where it will show up. I was lucky that they only lasted a few weeks. But believe me I went an got the shot. Been good everysince. Don't want them damn things again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shing-releev find in stores