1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What I did with the Spolar from Gunbroker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by andybull, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybull

andybull Active Member

A few months ago I decided to make a gun room in my retirement home. Well I put some cabinets together, added lights, outlets, a safe and figured I was almost done. That was until I purchased a Spolar on Gunbroker that someone on TS.com posted it was for sale.

I didn't want to take up anymore counter space so I removed the 7.5 HP compressor from the room and purchased a work bench from Sam's Club. I had leftover flooring materials from a home I built in the mountains. Off I went to the mountain home only to find out the area and my steep driveway was snowed under, so after parking my truck a distance away my wife and I hiked to the home to check it out and do a lumber inventory. After slipping and sliding we got to the house, looked everything over and came to the realization that I would have to wait until late spring to return an get the wood.

I had ants in my pants, I didn't want to wait to work in the gun room, but didn't want to spend money on lumber I knew I had. I came up with an idea to trailer my Kubota RTV to the mountain, park the truck a few blocks away from the home, offload the Kubota, hitch the trailer to it, load the wood, return to the truck, hitch the trailer back on the pick up, then leave the Kubota in the garage and then return the day after with the empty trailer in order to take the Kubota back home (this can only happen when you are retired and have nothing better to do ;-)).

Well now that I had all the lumber in my garage, I had to build an overhead storage bracing from the floor joists in order to keep the wood out of the way.
    Now I'm ready to work I think. I knew the bench was 6" too long so I set up the saw and cut the 1.75" inch thick counter. Now the steel frame was too long which I knew would be, so I set up my horizontal band saw and cut the fame to fit.

I built the shelves, shell drawer and framing behind the bench with the lumber I picked up. I set the Spolar on the left side of the bench and then set the Mec loaders to the right, where I can just move one of them out of the way in order to load with the Mec I choose, without taking up more space. I also wired the outlet behind the bench with individual switches so I can turn the hydraulic pumps on and off as needed without having to plug and unplug the electric cords.

I like to have open counters, so I bought a 3/16" stainless steel plate and made 3 plates with all of the hole patterns needed for the rifle and pistol loading presses and accessories I have, this way I can place them in any of the plates, in any order I want. I didn't want to have the plates mounted on the counter surface, so I routed the counter out and set the plates flush on the counter in case I wanted to work on the bench, the plates weren't in the way.

the first picture is how I had originally configured the room.

DSC_0027.jpg

This is how it is now.

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q85/cptnball/Gun%20Room
    /DSC_0469.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q85/cptnball/Gun%20Room
    /DSC_0471.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I would throw this in.

[​IMG]

2. white rattler

white rattler Member

Nice looking reloading room. Good Job. Trevor Dawe.

3. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Holy crap !!!!!!

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Now you're going to have a bunch of trapshooters voting for the gay marriage thing.

5. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

If you ever need someone to babysit while you're vacationing, let me know. Very smart set up indeed !!!!!!!!
    Rob

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. Nice set-up.

Matt

7. cagusmc

cagusmc TS Member

That's a very nice setup.

8. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Just a observation after seeing a lot of reloading setups on TS. No matter what loaders one shows, there is usually a MEC lerking around in the picture.
    Carey

9. Butler

Butler TS Member

boy: if a neat desk is a sign of a sick mind, you really need help.....very nicely done and a model for everyone, especially me Jim Butler

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Andy...If you don't mind I'd like to ask how you mount the foot control for the hydraulics? I'm presuming its foot control as I didn't notice any other control.

I've been a crane operator all my career so I've got a good idea how I want the angle and location but not sure how I'm going to mount it yet. Would you think a permanent mount would be prefered over a removable one?

Thanks for any input

Bill

11. kd185

kd185 Member

nice step but wow you have to much time on your hands

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

Rey;

I'll let you know....... I think we are auctioning the remaining equipment Jan 18.

Likes-to-shoot;

I'll play around with it next week. I've got a Vertical mill, lathe, Mig, Tig. I'm sure I can fabricate something, although the instructional CD shows the operator leaving it on the floor (you can see it on the floor in the second picture).

Regards,

Andy

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Please tell me about the powder bottles on your MECs.

14. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Great room, great job, great wood on that Krieghoff

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What brand of gun vises are those and what do they cost each? Thanks for any answer.

16. andybull

andybull Active Member

Those Mec bottles are over 20 years old.

Believe it or not, I paid $360.00 for the two piece blank on ebay.

17. andybull

andybull Active Member

I won the gun vises over 25 years ago. The name on the lid is Case Gard, I don't know if they are still being made.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What is wrong? How poorly thought out!!! The safes do not match.

Can you send one of them back to Liberty for a change in paint color? Also, why didn't you have a granite work surface? Fomica is so...well, plebian.

And that Spolar machine in gold clashes with the red other things..and a blue loader, a red loader, and a gold loader...things are just not thought through anymore.

19. superump

superump TS Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET - Great job

20. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Nice work on your room. I can see you my want to spend a lot of time there.
    Nice K-gun. Now just add a TV and you will never go in the rest of the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.