1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What hunting boots should I buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Porcupine, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I made the mistake of letting my son wear my (10+ year-old) hunting boots and he told me he really, really likes them (hint, hint). Well, I WAS thinking of asking 'Santa' for new (warmer, gore-tex) boots, anyway, so what do I (I mean Santa) buy? If I can hang onto this next pair for ten years, then it will most likely be the last boots I'll ever own so I may as well get quality boots. How about LL Bean boots; are they as good as they say? Other brands? Thanks.

LA in MA

2. 7771

7771 Active Member

Danner Pronghorn

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I will tell you that I will NEVER buy Rocky Boots.

I had a pair that lasted just about a year and that was with them only being used for hunting and a bit of snow plowing on the tractor. The soles, on both left and right boots, cracked right through. There were also chunks of the sole that looked like they were almost cut out of the rubber.

I took them back to the store where I bought them. It is a very highly reputable store. They could not give me a replacement because they had had several of these boots fail. They did send the boots back to Rocky who refused to do anything. No replacement, no refund, either full or partial, no discount towards purchase of another pair,nothing at all. Their response was basically Tough S*** Sucker.

I bought a pair of Irish Setter 1,000 gram Thinuslate/Goretex boots. They were much, much more comfortable right out of the box than the Rocky boots ever were. The Irish Setters are still my best loved boots.

In heavy cold weather I do have another pair of Arctic Pak Felt Liner boots that are darn good too. Only problem is that it has to be really cold outside or my feet become too warm. I can not recall the brand since I bought these maybe ten years ago. I will have to look to see who made them.

4. skeezix

skeezix Member

Lowa Sheephunters

http://www.schnees.com/product/Lowa-Sheephunter-Schnees/lowa-boots

john

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

The Danner Pronghorns. Great boats. Make sure they fit with a nice pair of socks before you buy.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I would stay away from leather boots. They take too long to break-in. Their too hard to maintain and they look like dog doodo after awhile. Gortex and thinsulate a must though. Dave T.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What do you use them for? That will tell you what kind of boots to buy. Upland hunting boots are different from mountain boots, for example. Upland boots have a wider sole for walking on flat ground where a mountain boot has a narrower sole for fitting into smaller spaces like crevices.

If you do mostly upland hunting go with Russell South 40 Birdshooters. If you decide to go with another boot, make sure it has a mocassin toe. They simply wear better.

I have had them all, Danner, Rocky, Browning etc. The Russells are the very best. However, if you hunt is very wet locales, I would go with a Goretex boot which leaves out the Russells. I have found Danners to be very comfortable but a bit cold even with insulation. They fit so snuggly that they seem to not let the insulation work very well.

A word about cost. $300 -$400 is not too much to spend if you spend 30 days or more afieled. They will last almost forever and you will never be sorryt that you went with the best you could find.

8. FIB

FIB Member

Another vote for the Danner Pronghorns.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Pyrdek, I'm sorry you had the problem with the Rocky boots. I was a dealer until recently and have never had a problem when returning boots with the original receipt. They have always replaced them without any problem. I also was a Georgia boot dealer and had the same results with them. I always told everyone that bought boots that they had to keep their receipt for warranty purposes. I didn't like it but understood their policy as people tried to bring in boots 3 years old for warranty replacement. Jackie B.

10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack,

I did have the receipt when I took returned them to the store where I bought them. It was just a little bit more than a year from purchase. They were the ones who sent them back to Rocky for repair or evaluation and they were the ones who received the reply from Rocky. I do not hold any animosity towards the store (The Boot Box in Meadville, PA) and have dealt with them on a number of times since then.

The work boots I have on my feet right now are Georgia Boots and they are very comfortable. I use them in the summer and autumn since they are not insulated and are only ankle height. The Irish Setters also came from the Boot Box after there was no satisfaction from Rocky.

The problem with the Rocky boots seem to have been generated when they shifted to China as their source. There were a number of people who reported varying problems with Rocky in that general time slot. I do not know if it is true but someone told me that it had to do with the composition of the "rubber" they were using for the Chinese soles either having too much lead or maybe it was not enough but the end result was cracking of the "rubber"

Incidentally, if you are even in the northwestern corner of PA, you might enjoy a visit to the Boot Box. Not only do they have a tremendous selection of boots of all types and manufacturers, they also feature a truly remarkable collection of both taxidermy and antique fire arms. Did you know that there was once a 10 Ga. LEVER action shotgun or a Colt muzzle loading revolver rifle? Both, and maybe fifty other assorted firearms covering flintlock hand cannons to 1950's firearms are on display. The taxidermy is also fantastic. It includes an arctic ox fending off two wolves, a cougar attacking a deer, and maybe sixty or seventy other assorted taxidermy displays of all different species. They also handle motorcycle leather, western wear and tack, outdoor clothing, work clothing (and in sizes up to 3x or maybe even larger), optics, and assorted other hunting related out of the ordinary items.

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Rocky Boots are not what they were in the past. At one time I had around 12 pair of Rocky's that I wore everyday. I have NO future plans for any Rockies.

I have now switched to Danner and have been very happy so far, only two years into it at this point. One pair of Danners did have a problem and the factory took care of it.

Someday I would like to try a pair or Red Wings or Irish Setters for some "everyday" boots.

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Danners are tough to beat- so many models and they do hold up and can be comfortable for most people from day one

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I second Schnee's. I bought a pair at a silent Pheasants Forever auction and they're so comfortable. They wick moisture too, you can hunt in them all day!

A couple guys in my group wear LL Beans, they seem to like them.

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

anyone have opinions on the Orvis Gokey upland boots? They dropped the price to $250 and they seem to have good reviews...

15. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I still prefer the old Dunham Canadian Duraflex. I got my first pair when I was about 16 and headed for the big woods. They used to come with a bottle of Dow Corning liquid silicone in the box. I realize that gore-tex is a good thing when looking for waterproof but they were waterproof before gore-tex became available. I still have a pair, they are available from the Dunham website or I bought my last pair from a place called Red's Shoe Barn in Dover NH.
    If youre looking for inexpensive there is a place in Martinsburg, Pa called The Cove Shoe Factory that makes boots as a contractor for lots of the companies that market them as their own. They sell what are known as factory seconds there. I buy firefighter boots there and they are typically in very good shape just blemished. They typically sell what they make for just over half of what they cost on the store shelves.
    Good Luck finding what you want!

Kevin McIlwain

16. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Danner Pronghorns , Glenn Allison

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Danner pronghorn, or LL Bean. Rockys suck.

18. Mapper

Mapper Member

Without knowing where those boots are going, a real suggestion is tough. Bean rubber bottoms are good for wet. Russells are good for dry, Danner, White, Irish Setters loggers are good for rough going. Chippawa used to be good, but I have not had much experience with them lately. My USGS buddies who bought Gokeys were disappointed. Birdogs is right, good boots are expensive. Don't buy kangaroo, unless you are hunting from the truck or pool hall. I wore boots to work every day for 43 years and never owned a cheap pair of good boots.

Mike Kennedy, USGS retired

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

cant beat a good pair of danner bird hunting boots. you will never wear them out and they are light weight and comfortable. Get the ones with the ballistic cloth inserts on the sides. Bill in MI

20. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

OK, maybe I should clarify things a bit. My last pair of boots, which my son has 'appropriated', I wore mostly for upland hunting and hiking, but I wore them in all climates, all temperatures, wet, dry, you name it. I want to buy a well-made, well-fitting, all-purpose, waterproof, warm and long-lasting pair of boots which will be used mostly for upland hunting, but will be suitable for any other situation in which I find myself. Hang the cost. I'm a New England Yankee with a little bias toward LL Bean but can be easily convinced to try the Pronghorns. I think those are my two main choices.

My next question is, if I'm going to buy and wear just one pair of hunting boots, what amount of Thinsulate should I look for? 400g? or 800g? I am a great fan of the chemical foot/toe warmers, so would that mean I could get by with less Thinsulate?

Many thanks.

LA in MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kangaroo upland hunting boots
ll bean upland kangaroo boots opinions forum
should i buy georgia boots or irish setters
who makes orvis kangaroo boots

who makes orvis kangaroo leather boots