1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What hulls for reloading?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Looks like we'll be going to contract and closing on the house shortly and i'll FINALLY be able to jump into reloading. Expect to be in the house in 4-6 weeks and hopefully by mid-spring get the reloading equipment up and running.

In the meantime, I'd like to start saving spent hulls but wondering what are suitable for reloading purposes. I'm shooting Federal Top Gun, Estate, Gun Club and STS. I only use the STS for reg. shoots. What should I be saving or tossing?

thanks
    bill

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Save the Remingtons; they are strong enough to be reloaded several times. The others are not.

Morgan

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

ditto.

4. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks, Morgan.

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Billster, I would imagine that any of the hulls you are shooting would be suitable for reloading. Obviously the STS hulls will probably load and last longer but if you search the powder sites for reloading info you'll PROBABLY fing loading info. I've been scrounging Wally World Federals and other "cheap" hulls for sporting clays as with my Sporting Gold, the hulls get kicked so far away it's hard to find them all in the weeds.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Save the STS and Gun Clubs. They load the same using the same wads. I usually shoot hulls until I see that they are getting a little "ragged". I then reload them one more time and use them for sporting clays. Ed

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Estate and Federal are nice to reload once and toss, great for singles. Use a 12SO wad and an ounce, 18 or so of Red Dot.

STS, and Gun club do use the same recipe. AA will take virtually the same also. YOu can swithc AA pattern and Figure 8 back and forth too.

STS, many loads. Gun club I would guess 3-4 and toss. Depends on how much pack rat room you have. I know I have way too many hulls but can't throw them away.

Something wrong with my arm when I try.

HM

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

To maximize your reloading dollars, if possible stick with one-type of hull (straight wall, compression formed, etc...), one type of wad/brand, same with powder so that you can buy in larger quantities to maximize volume discounts.

Good luck,

Jay

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Billster:

There is data for every hull you've listed. I load and shoot them all. There is also some unpublished one ounce data for Estates and Top Guns that I use. The unpublished one ounce loads were provided (and blessed) by Alliant Powder Co.

Exohunter is correct about STS and Gun Clubs. For reloading purposes, they are ballistic equivalents. Any combination of components appropriate for one is appropriate for the other.

Estate shells are manufactured by Federal. Alliant Powder Co., part of the same corporate family as Federal, will tell you Estates and Top Guns are ballistic equivalents. So... Alliant recipes for Top Guns are perfectly acceptable in Estates hulls with a wound paper base wad.

Alliant describes Top Gun and Estates hulls as "Hi Power Plastic Shells with Rolled Paper Base Wad". Appropriate loading data for those hulls are listed there.

If you aren't aware, Gun Clubs, Top Guns, and Estates all have steel heads. The plastic on Estates and Top Guns are inferior to STS, AA, and Gold Medals. While manageable, both factors pose a bit of a nuisance factor when reloading. Since these cheapies are so abundant, I load them once and pitch the empties.

sissy

PS: Estates weren't always made by Federal. There is an older version with a plastic base wad. You aren't likely to run across the old version but if you do, there is no published data for them.

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

i like the above post as well. I use all aa hulls. silver for 7/8 loads,grey for 1 oz and red new or old stlye for 1 1/8 oz though i am fixing to stop loading 1 1/8 except for some handicap maybe then i will use either new or old style aa. i am using cb-4100-12-b wads and they are good for 7/8 or 1 oz. loads, 16.5 grains of red dot. probably going to switch to 700x because acording to the charts for the same fps i can drop about 1.5 less grains per load and get same result.

Bill

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I am really impressed with the STS hulls. I have been running a test to see how many reloads I can get out of one hull and I'm up to about 7 and the hulls still look great, no pinholes in the top and the top is not ragged or burnt yet, no side splits in the hull either. The red AA's don't last as long, the gray version seems to go a bit longer than the reds.

I'm loading one ounce loads and 18grs of clays for about 1200fps. Clays is a pretty clean powder, so that my help the lifespan of the hulls.

Mike

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

STS and gun clubs, load well, plenty in my area.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Free ones are best.

14. Billster

Billster TS Member

This site's a trove of minds. Thanks, guys. Visited the Hodgden site and they list a large variety of hulls for reloading. Will stick with the Rems if I can. Just reading thru your reponses show me how much to learn here with reloading. Crossed my mind while reading - are the hulls cleaned out in anyway before reloading them? Will need to get a book and learn from scratch it seems.

cheers
    bill

15. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Watch out for the STS hulls. After you load them 18 or 20 times you will start to get cracks at the crimp folds. When that happens, I load them one more time and shoot them at doves. I used to put a mark on the brass each time I reloaded a shell but ran out of room for marks on the STS.
    I don't have a lot of room to store stuff so I don't keep the "load them once and toss them" shells.
    Also, the STS don't seem to split like the new AA's

Mike

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Billster,

No need to clean the hulls. Just look at them to make sure there isn't any "stuff" in them before you reload.

Some people do clean their hulls, but I can't imagine why.

17. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Mike: Hope you're a patient man. I did that test, and found my STS's were still shootable after 12-14 reloads (mild 1-oz & 17-gr Clays.) The Gun Clubs will surprise you - try testing those, too. Phil E

18. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Alliant describes Top Gun and Estates hulls as "Hi Power Plastic Shells with Rolled Paper Base Wad". Appropriate loading data for those hulls are listed there."

But that isn't the data they suggest you use if you ask them directly...

an excerpt from an email sent by me to Alliant regarding Top Gun hulls:

"...My problem is that I don't know which Federal data to use. Your 2005 reloading guide lists data for (1)Federal Gold Medal Plastic Target shells, (2)Federal Hi-Power shells with the rolled paper base wad (which
    Top Gun has) and (3)Federal one-piece plastic shells.

Which category of Federal data should I follow for reloading Top Gun hulls?"

and the answer I received from Alliant:

"For the Top Gun hull, I recommend that you use data for the Federal Gold Medal plastic hull. Thanks for your interest in contacting us and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette<br>
    Consumer Service Manager<br>
    Alliant Powder Company"

Morgan

19. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

STS and Gun Club. But you picked the wrong time to reload. Prices for shot, powder and wads are too high.

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I just ran the numbers through this web site's cost calculator and came up with:

Using new shot, a 1/18 oz load costs be $4.04/box

Using my reclaimed shot, a 1 1/8 oz load costs me $3.11/box

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.