1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What helped you to be a better shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

What things or techniques made a marked difference in your shooting better scores?

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

As a newbie, placing a round in the chamber really helped : )

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Slow down.

4. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

Rastoff has it right. Slow it down...see the bird...smooth move to the target... slow...steady...squeeze of the trigger. Since I hit my first 25 straight I've hit many more to follow. Just can't seem to hit 100 straight yet...several 98's, but no 100. Speed comes with time/practice. Keep shooting & learn from your shooting. You will soon improve.
    Scott

5. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

The thing that has helped me most of all was a Leo Harrison clinic that I took last year.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

A Dave Shaeffer clinic last month has made my score much more consistent. I'm still not breaking as many as I want to be but I'm happy with where my game is for now. I think taking all of last winter off really set me back a bit but I'm hoping that by the end of this season I'll have my score up to where I expect them to be.

(If the cost of reloading components wasn't so much this would also help a ton.)

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

too many things to mention... hope that helped.
    you can spend $1000 and months trying to figure it out for yourself or you can just spend $150 for 2 hours of professional instruction. either way, it's the same. good luck with it

9. justabitoutside

justabitoutside TS Member

Maturity and a sound mental process combined with a consistant set up.

10. BMC

BMC Member

The first and biggest improvement for me when I started was Phil Kiner's video.
    The next improvement was simply time behind the gun and developing a confident sight picture.

11. scotton

scotton TS Member

I stopped trying so hard, started shooting every shot on purpose, and quit reading advice on the interweb.

Scott

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

First, was gun fit. Then I started watching the best shooters and noticed their routine never changed, (stance, body position, gun mount, timing, etc.). So I developed my own, and it never changes. Wayne

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

slow down, see bird before moving, concentrate on one at a time

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Set-up and timing. Constant set up on every shot. Work on your timing. Smooth works better than speed.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Learning where your gun shoots!I have seen mediocre shooters buy k 80s,Perazzis,and other high dollar guns. 2 years later,they are still mediocre shooters. Most good shooters got there with entry level guns. I shot my best scores with guns under $1000. Shooting is a mind game. High dollar guns don't necessarily make a good shooter. Its your mind that makes a top shooter. Leo did pretty fair with his 1100s. Read "THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING" BY NORMAN VINCENT PEALE". It might help you more than a high dollar lesson.1oldtimer

16. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

other than good coaching the one thing that helped me the most was the lack of recoil! when i got the right combination of gun and ammo, the softer i got it the better i shot, i can still only shoot 100 out of 100 but it is easyer and more regular.

17. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

When I started shooting Trap I asked an experienced what it took to be a good Trap shooter, he said--Strong desire,A whole lot of money and Time....I have found this to be correct.....Smokit

18. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Every thing that Sarge said plus READING every thing I could get my hands on. The best books in my humble opinion are, Trapshooting is a game of opposites, With winning in mind and Mental training for shotgun sports.Also read the articles in trap and field and Shotgun sports.

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

In the end it's the Brain that directs your shooting ability....

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sarge nailed it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

be a better trap shooter