Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what heighth rib should i get

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  slayer 
#1 ·
im new to shooting and just got a browning citori trap and i want to put a higher rib on it but how do i decide what heigth to get
thanks tayler

#2 ·
You may already know this but if you want to put a higher rib on your XT, you will need to have an adjustable comb on the gun. And even with one of Browning's adjustable combs, the height that will remain stable may be a limiting factor in th erib height.

To split hairs, the length of yoru neck might also come into play, With a shorter than average neck length, tom much additional rib height might make it difficult to put your cheek on the comb without loering your gun mount too far.

Your gun mount should involve putting about an inch of the recoil pad above your collarbone.

Rollin

#5 ·
I have bought and sold a number of high rib guns before deciding that I can't shoot them very well. Not sure why. Could be canting, sight picture, etc. Have found that I like to see the end of the barrel in my sight picture, not just the end of the rib. Good idea to borrow one, if you can.
Mark

#8 ·
Camo: lots of people are finding that a taller rib lets them pick up the target faster and see it better. The best and easiest way for you to see how you would like an add on rib for your gun is go to a craft store and buy a few pieces of balsa wood, tape it to your gun. Mount the gun and pick a spot on the wall to swing the gun to as you would a clay target. You can add pin heads if you have to have the beads on it.
They have defferent thicknesses and are inexpensive so you can get a few thicknesses and try several heights to see what works for you to get a position that feels right. If you buy a rib to add on most can be removed with no damage to the gun and there is a market for them so you could sell it to recover most of your money. Some people do well with the ribs some do not but only you can determine if you like it. I had a Citori XT and put an add on rib on it and liked it a lot and shot it better that way. good luck.
randy

#9 ·
camo
dont forget when you add height to the rib you must add the same thickness to your comb .(or you will change point of impact ) after you add a certain amount of height determened by the shooters build / strenght you might have to shorten the stock or you will lose the leverage to swing to smoothly

#11 ·
I'm new and have been shooting about 8 months and just this weekend shot my first 25 straight. I think you should shoot your XT the way it is until you are scoring in the twenties before considering a change. My reasoning is that until you have a baseline to compare against you really can't tell if a change will help you when you do try other guns. This also will give you a chance to meet others who might let you try their guns. My advice is go slow. Joe

#12 ·
Rose Buster has the best suggestion. Taping a piece of wood painted black to your existing is the best and most cost effective way to find if a higher rib works best for you. If you don't have an adjustable comb already installed, you may go the lower cost route of Carry comb or Wrapped Comb to raise the comb height. You may find with a higher comb your scores improving and the gun feels more comfortable. There is a point of no return in terms of height, but only you can determine what works best for you.

Surfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.