1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what health issue made you stop a fav hobby

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

At most of the trap ranges I have visited I would guess the average age is over 60. I have never been to Sparta to see the hundreds of shooters but trap shooting does appear to be a sport for the older generation. It always pleases me to see younger men and teens getting into the sport. Well, as we grow older health issues really can screw up the things we love to do. Me I had to give up years of golf due to back problems. Now with this CPPD in my hands and wrist I am looking at slowing down fishing and shooting the last two outdoor activites that I love.
    My father is now 102 and going strong. My mom passed this last Dec at 102. Everyone that hears that says isn't that wonderful. Not really, it depends on the quality of life. Neither parent is suffering from a major illnes it is just old age that is taking its toll on the body. Taking care of my father really motivated me to work on getting healthy. By golly, if I have those kind of genes I want to be able to enjoy as many years as I can. I have lost 23 lbs ,working out at the gym when I am able. My question is what have you had to give up because of some health problem? Getting old SUCKS

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Prostate cancer

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Very bad back

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Not sure how to answer, I have small children to raise and in my early 40's, so I work out, jog and ride a bike. I just don't want my kids teased because of their old father that can't do things. I think it's better to maintain than to try and get it back. I figure it won't gain me any years on this earth but I want to be as active as I can until it's time to leave.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Right now, a torn rotator cuff. Being operated on the 9th for it. In the past a severe case of A-fib, and before that a nasty case of Vertigo. Bulge.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A bad back is threatening to end my shooting.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cant get my gun up anymore but I keep trying

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@Lou!!

My bad back/neck has curtailed but not stopped me from trying to shoot clay targets or hunting birds. The pain free days of shooting are getting more scarce at a rapid pace though! It's embarrassing to shoot a 99/100 straight one day and an 85 the next.

Hap

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yeah Lou, I have a hard time getting my "gun" up too. Bulge.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Right now gout/arthritis in right wrist is keeping me away from shotguns and handguns. The only shooting I can do without pain is small caliber rifle from the bench. Still gotta count the blessings; lots of my peers are looking at the grass from the bottom side.

11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

____The only sports I had to stop due to age was racing dirt bikes and racket ball. I am a Senior Vet and after Colon Cancer and 4 joint replacements I still enjoy shooting Trap and occasionally shoot a decent score. I think that is one of the really great things about shooting Trap is that many older shooters shoot some really salty scores.....Lloyd Tuggle

12. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I had to give up baseball after shattering an ankle, breaking my fibula, tibia, tearing two ligaments in my right ankle, and tearing a single ligament in my right ankle. All I have left is trapshooting!

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Due to cancer and heart problems and being way out of shape my wife and I stopped down hill skiing a few years ago. We use to take a winter vacation every year to one of the major ski resorts. If I can get my health back we plan to teach our grand kids how to ski and shoot. It wasn't until this past year when I almost died that I finally realized that food would someday kill me if I didn't stop eating so much and start to exercise.

Steve Balistreri

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

cataracts

Todd

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Lyme Disease. Damn near killed me. Here in the Northeast the ticks are brutal. Gave up hunting and most activities in the woods. Even walking across the grass to fill the trap house we pick up ticks. Still don't know why God put them on this earth. Dave T.

16. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Cancer, but I ain't gonna let it get me. No sir !!!!!!!
    Rob

17. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I'm at the computer instead of on the racquetball court because of some pulled muscles in my ribs. I still plan on Shooting at St. Joe VCC on Sunday. Hope I can get my gun up.

Rich (sore) in Indiana

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Whoa there Rich.....I thought for a minute you were gonna tell us you had to give up Synchronized Swimming due to a waxy build up and swimmer's ear!!

Glad you're ok...

Curt (heading to NJ state shoot tomorrow)

19. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Please don't make me laugh, it hurts to bad.

Rich in Indiana

20. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

Leukemia. After 35 years and 3500 hours had to give up flying as I could no longer pass the physical with the medications I was taking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.