1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What have Atheists invented?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rpeerless, Jun 24, 2013.

1. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Besides their own religion and 'Jesus envy' phobia, what have atheists invented or discovered that was 'beneficial' to mankind? I was trying to think of a noteable atheist but could not.

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Are you serious?

3. rpeerless

Guess you win or everything else has been scrubbed. There are zero famous Christians in science or technology listed that I have found listed so far, other than Sir Issac Newton.

Never gave much thought to an inventor's religion before; only what they invented, so yeah I'm serious.

The Curie's were 'lapsed' Catholics but are on the atheist list.

Also, the atheists have a list like an organized group and not free flowing individuals who were not committed to any certain belief system.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why would race, color, creed, religion, political position or sexual orientation matter as long as the outcome benefits mankind?

Eric

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

They left Einstein off the list, should have been included. I see Hawking is on the list. He spoke out on the subject not long ago, he doesn't believe in magic.

6. rpeerless

Einstein was raised Jewish remember he left Germany? Although he said he was unsure of his beliefs.

Finally found a Christian website but could not find an all other site.

http://www.tektonics.org/scim/sciencemony.htm

There was a 'nontheist' site. Where does that fit in?

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head: Mendel, Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Bernoulli, Nobel, Newton, and my personal favorite, John Browning. I'm sure there are more.

Ernestine was a Pantheist, not an atheist. He believed in a mother nature type God.

Kip

8. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Reason!!! Unless you believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus too.

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

Peerless,,,Newton about got hiself whacked by the Catholic Church for insisting that the Earth orbited the Sun instead of everything spinning around God's prized creation in the exact center of the Universe. During that same time frame, famous Christians invented The Crusades and Spanish Inquisition.

But I still have faith that our Make-Believe Friend is better than everyone else's.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

cnsane - It was Nicolaus Copernicus who formulated the heliocentric model of the solar system. By the time of Newton's studies, heliocentrism was well accepted.

Galileo built on Copernicus' model, and improved the telescope. His efforts were rewarded by a trial and lifelong house arrest for his defiance of Roman Catholic doctrine.

The inquisition, as formulated by the Roman Catholic Church was meant to put the strayed faithful back on the true Catholic religious track. The official inquisition relied on methods other than torture and/or death. After all, the intent was to have reformed sinners, not dead ones.

The corruption of the inquisition into torture and death was done by the local political powers, especially in Spain, and not officially sanctioned by the powers in Rome.

The Crusades were a combination of economic and military actions. The Muslim powers in the Middle East had placed trade barriers in the area, preventing Europeans from trading easily with the far east. No one on either side, had clean hands.

None of the events you describe are singularities, and they took place within a much wider religious and political history of civilization.

Best, Dennis

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There is a good chance that many of the so called atheists actually did/do believe in a higher power but not so much in the organized religions of man.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Thank God for John Browning.

Bob Falfa

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This thread has the wrong title.

Substitute "Non-Caucasians" and it will be more proper.

HM

14. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"Christians invented The Crusades and Spanish Inquisition."

Good response Dennis!!!! Nice to see someone who has studied history!!

That phrase is as phoney as the phrase, "Separation of Church and State".

As the saying goes, tell a lie often enough and long enough IT becomes the truth. To some anyways!

15. brownk80

brownk80 Member

SKEET!!!

16. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

timberfaller,

The term "Separation of Church and State" is phony only if you stop at the level of the Constitution. Wiki is not the best, but take a look at the above link and the subtitles under "The US Constitution" and below it "The "Separation" principle and the Supreme Court."

The term has become a part of the law of the land, based on SCOTUS rulings, who quoted one of the framers of the Constitution.

All,

The fact that Galileo was found guilty and condemned to house arrest by the Inquisition in Rome is well known. What might not be so well known is that the Catholic Church forgave Galileo after a 13-year investigation into his trial. The "apology" came from Pope John Paul II in 1992. The investigation ended and the apology/acknowledgment came 359 years after the original condemnation!

There is no evidence that Galileo actually said this, but one of my favorite quotes, when my brain has to chose between logic and faith, is "And yet it moves."

Faith has its place, but we have to move beyond bronze-age laws and logic.

Danny