1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What has happened to To Polk Co. t/s club?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ridge Runner, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

I notice in the current issue of Trap and Field that Polk County Trap and skeet club is not mentioned in the schedule for the Florida chain shoot. I then checked the F,T.A web site and see that Polk County has a very limited schedule. Only one shoot in Dec. etc. I admit that is has been several years since I shot there, but I always enjoyed it. What happened ? Thanks.

2. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

I thoght that somsone would have an answer, but I guess I was wrong.

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I used to be a member of the Polk County Skeet and Trap Club. I do not believe enviromental issues were a problem, it was built on a landfill. Polk county is run on voluteer services and to run a gun club with strickly volunteers is difficult. Some of the old standbys in running the place have moved, died, become enfeebled, quit shooting, had health issues, etc. Florida is different, we have an older population and people are not willing to make the time commintmet to help. Also, some of the rules for the Chain Shoot have changed. Is the Chain of shoots still protected? I beieve that it was goood for the clubs to have protected shoots. I know we planned for the chain and always enjoyed our snowbirds coming to camp and shoot with us when I lived there. The Saturday night party was great with free food . I always felt without the protection of the chain the smaller clubs would be hurt and eventuallly cost us shooters. That in turn will eventually hurt clubs like the Siver Dollar since the fewer shooters you have in the area will come back ot haunt you.
    I remember when my old buddy from KY, George Horton, and his wife Shirley, would help to run some of the Chain Shoots at different clubs. George has since passed away. Dean Koulogianes and Wayne Wilcox are no longer involved with Polk County. You cannot believe how much these two men meant to our club.If you look up integrity in the dictionary, you will find Dean's picture. Dean's wife, Diane, could work the counter and keep scorces updated. She was a jewel. Wayne would repair machines at night and our traps threw great targets. Wayne was the best trap mechanic I ever saw. In fact, he helped the Old Skyway Trap Club out with their traps. Raised handicap scorces several targets by repairing all opf their machines.
    I sure miss Winter Haven , it was great place to live and shoot.

Charlie Becknell
    Lexington, KY

4. Saws01

Saws01 TS Member

As a new member in the Polk County Skeet and Trap Club, I can say without a doubt, it is a great club made up of some of the friendliest and helpful people found anywhere. Being new to trap shooting, my son and I were immediately made to feel welcome and have continued to recieve encouragement and guidance from other shooters. This has contributed greatly to making our trap shooting a positive father and son experience - for which I am grateful.

Please Note:
    Polk County Skeet and Trap Club is hosting a registered trap shoot on Sunday, December 9th. Sign-in at 9:00 a.m. Singles start around 10:00, followed by lunch, and then Handicap and Doubles. Come and support trap shooting at the club. Everyone is welcome.

5. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

We (at Polk County) are having Monthly trap shoots. We do have a problem, the problem is the shot from traps 1 & 8 . The shot goes off the property. The board decided trap 2 was also going off the property but have since "changed their minds" about trap 2. Actually Silver Dollar told me (Toni Ehle) in 2003 that if we wanted to have the chain shoot they would not shoot that week to help us. So they realized it hurt our club when they shoot registered at the same time, during chain shoots anyway. You are right about volunteers. It is very hard to put together a large shoot (chains) without committed people willing to to accept the responsibility in different areas to have a chain shoot. I organized the last two chain shoots the club had and had great help in doing so--but as you say those people are no longer around and we don't have people willing to step up and help now. Also during the years 1999-2003 we had several trap shooters on the board that promoted trap now all but 2 board members are skeet shooters and skeet is being in the fore front. I am not complaing I am "just stateing the facts" of why we no longer have chain shoots. Thank you to everyone who supports the trap and try and come to our shoots. T. E.

6. Chipster

Chipster TS Member

I,m a member of Polk Co. Trap&Skeet Club, It,s one of the most enjoyable Clubs to shoot. I shoot a little Trap and Skeet both, very good people to shoot with, and so are the people who run it. A little more volunteer help and they could go back to having the large shoots such as the Chain Shoot. Curtis

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I do wish you well. I loved shooting at Polk County .. Some of the ladies that worked the shoot have since passed away, Dean Floyd, Maxine, and Sue Snodgras. Sue was the friendliest lady you can imagine. Shirley Horton no longer goes to the shoots since George died. So many of the things that made Polk special are gone. When I was there in the 1990's we had a core group that just wanted to help.
    I hope you get it going .

Charlie Becknell

8. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

A good friend of mine shoots at polk co. have been there a few times in the winter and is a great place to shoot and loaf. If my wife would tear herself away from the grandkids it would be my home club in the winter.. good luck and good shooting..........

9. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

10. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry. I'am going to make sure that I get down to shoot there at least once this winter. Again many Thanks.

11. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

Thanks for all reponse to my inquirey. I will try to make it to Polk Co. at least once this winter. nNow I am beginning to understand the problem. Thanks again,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.