1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

--What has happened to Smith & Wesson?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ras, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ras

ras TS Member

I was looking for a gun for CCW last week and my local shop had several to choose from. I liked a Smith & Wesson 637 airweight, but with only 5 shots I thought it would be good to have the lazar sights (to make every shot count). They told me I could save a little by ordering a new one with the lazar grips already on it. That sounded good so that is what I did. I went to the store on Monday, and it was in. We filled out the papers, I got a new box of shells (Magtech) and paid for everything. We then went into the shooting range (our local gun shop has a real nice indoor range) so they could show me how to use the lazar. I was very surprised when every 3rd or 4th shell didn’t go off. On top of that about 25% of the ones that did go off put key holes in the target. We then tried some hornady ammo and it did the same thing.

The gun shop called the rep. and he said to send it in. Now I have only owned the gun about 1 hour and the idea of patchen up my brand new gun does not sound right. I want to start over with a new gun that works, but the rep. tells me that’s too bad, send it in. I called the head office and talked with two more company people and they tell me the same thing. Well so much for customer satisfaction! What in the world has happened to the quality that Smith & Wesson used to be known for? How could a gun with 2 major problems get through their quality inspections and what has happened to customer service?

If anybody would like this gun for a sales “DEMO” give me a call. I would just like to replace it with a similar gun made by a more reputable company.

Ralph Stanton
    Savannah, Mo
    816-262-0097

Smith & Wesson people I talked with:

Randy 816-407-1896

Paul Gazda 800-331-0852

Kate 413-781-8300

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In the old days each gun was carefully made and each and every part was hand fitted. Who knows what they are doing now. HMB

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I had a sigma .40, you couldnt hit the back wall of the range with it, it was terrible, didnt matter what ammo was used either, you cant expect alot these days for $300 but it would be nice to have confidence in your weapon. needless to say it went down the road. I bought a super redhawk in .454 casull, this is by far the best handgun I've ever owned, and I've had a ton of them, it's the most accurate, pleasant shooting large caliber handgun I've ever shot, and half the price of a S&W .460 or .500. Wish I would have bought it along time ago.

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is nothing new... I bought a 39 a number of years ago and had it come apart in my hand after about 75 rounds. Threw the ejector right out of the ejection port. Smith quality has not been that good for years.

TB

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

This is nothing new... I bought a 39 a number of years ago and had it come apart in my hand after about 75 rounds. Threw the ejector right out of the ejection port. Smith quality has not been that good for years.

TB

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

TB

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sigmas were a POS.... you could slide a credit card between the slide and the frame. No wonder it would not shoot.

TB

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I had similar experiences years ago with SW. I had a FFL and I couldnt get enough guns to sell. I finally got a K22 for a customer who waited for about 6 mo. The more he looked at it the sicker he got . Scratches and gouge marks under the finish. He took it and sold it to someone else. Finish got so poor I all but quit selling them.

A friend of mine had similar problems with Colt. He had a Python that had a gorgeous finish but sprayed lead in all directions. Sending it back produced about a 50% improvement at best.

I hate so say that quality control in America is dead but it could sure use an infusion of ....I Care.

Regards Gerald

9. Bavaria-Grade

Bavaria-Grade Member

Years ago I got in a model 57 smith and wesson for a customer. I was the one that broke the seal on the box. That gun looked like it had been tied to the back of a car and drug down the road. What a piece of crap that gun turned out to be.

10. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

In my opinion the older S&W pistols are better than the new ones with the integral lock. I think the older pinned and recessed models were some of the finest made. Maybe you would like an older model 19 with a 2 1/2" barrel ras. I wish you were in the Chicagoland area, I would let you try a few of my older Smiths to see what you would prefer. S&W should give you a replacement pistol, it is the least they could do to try to keep you for a customer. Good luck, Rodbuster.

11. ras

ras TS Member

Thanks for all the input.

Ralph

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

You might run a mock up of an article in your paper and see if they understand that the firearm that they let out of their factory is dangerous to the consumer.

13. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why their stock went from $22.00 to $10.00 recently. Sad to say I still own it.

Bob

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I won't argue with the complaints about S&W but did you try any other ammo with the gun, something quality like Remington or Winchester? I've had lot's of problems with magtech and I'm sure they'll be dozens of posts saying it's great ammo but that's not been my experience.

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i got a 637 also opened the box looked at the gun and the barrel was loose i called S&W and told them the barrel was loose the guy said you mean the scroud and i said NO the BARREL he said that imposiable i said there no powder burns on cylinder so it was not test fired isent it back they returned it in 10 days was tight but still had not been shot i shot it was ok took the empty case that came with the gun and the one i fired didnt look the same to me but i am no expert i bought a ruger 454 C took it out shot it 6 times could not get the empty cases out sent it back returned new cylinder just shot my S&W 460 today 125yds one shot off hand 4 pt buck didnt run the two guys that was with me called it luck but luck will taste GOOD rick

16. Doug H

Doug H TS Member

I usually draw the short straw however I got a S&W Airweight this year and have no problems. I think the shooting is going to be like trapshooting. I am not the best shot but its not the gun's fault. Sorry to hear of your problem.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At this point and time buying anything is a crapshoot, All my problems have been resolved from S&W. They may just send you a new gun, but not until they get the old one. As far as a sigma aint good for anything beyound 5 yards if you can get a good group at ten feet your doing well.

18. Mark Spears

Mark Spears Member

Ralph,
    For what it is worth,
    I bought a P.C. 357 and after about 50 rounds, it started doing the same thing.
    Remove the grip and tighten the screw that puts pressure on the hammer spring.

If it loosens up again put a little lock-tite on it.

Mark

19. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

As far as I'm concerned, Smith can keep their new stuff with the MIM parts, 2 pc. barrels, and the crappy internal locks. Not to mention the lack of fit and finish. They aren't currently making anything that interests me.

All of my Smiths are older pinned barrel, forged parts, with that sweet Smith polished blue.... when they put care into their revolvers. I'd recommend seeking out the older Smiths.

JMHO of course.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My Python, bought in the morning, couldn't keep from keyholing at 10 feet and I got 1/2 of wholesale back for it the same afternoon (Bill's ripoff Gun Shop in Minneapolis) and thought it a cheap lesson when the remaining few bucks got me a used Model 66 stamped Novato PD (at the Frontiersman) and I've never had a more accurate or reliable or generally perfect revolver.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.