1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what happens when gun break down during ATA event?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bonzai272, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

what happens when your gun breaks down during an ATA event? i vaguely recall reading something in a rulebook of the past about having a certain amount of time to fix it or change guns, but i couldnt find anything like that in the current rulebook. maybe im blind? what happens if you cant fix it in time and/or do not have a back-up gun to use? would the shooter be forced to withdraw and all remaining targets scored lost?

thanks all.

2. tbobaa

tbobaa Member

Soon as you turn around there will be 5 guys telling you that you can use theres and asking release or pull.You have a little time but you dont want to hold everyone up long . If you can get yours fixed you can join back in on next trap .Most clubs will let you make up the ones where your gun failed on another trap.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I slap in another trigger before the squad gets back to me...

4. warren

warren Member

I always take my old 870 as a backup I've never had to switch yet but that old gun will make powder out of them as good as my XT and BT99

warren

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I broke an extractor pin last year on the 99th bird of my singles, I was shooting with a friend of mine and he brought me his gun from post 5 after he shot and I shot the last bird. If he hadnt been there i probably would have just taken the lost target to keep things moving. That happens to be my best round of trap to date. My first and only 97 thus far.

6. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Since nobody has really answered the question, I will.
    You have a reasonable time to fix yours....if it can't be done, you would lose the rest of the targets on the last trap.

I shot two birds in the 2nd hundred of the 200 bird championship event at the MT State shoot last year, and my K-80 breaks. Nobody on the grounds had another for me to go out and finish,( I shoot a release) so I proceeded to use my Dbles gun.
    It kept me from losing the rest of the targets on the first trap. I would have ended with a 2/ out of 25.

I did manage to run the last 98 and won the Singles. With a first shot dbles gun. 10 thousands choke.

Rick in MT

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I recently had this situation happen over the summer... My 90T would not break open after my 15/16 bird. I asked for a few minutes to retrieve my backup 90T and ran to the truck...

The chair and fellow shooters accomodated the brief interuption and we continued...

Turned out a retaining clip fractured, a piece of which got caught in the trigger action, preventing the locking bolt from disengaging...

In those situations, one really doesn't have much time to diagnose let alone repair... don't want to interfere with the harmony of others shooting... I'm thankful the rules allow a "reasonable" amount of time...

Jay

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You have a reasonalble time to fix yours (5 Min). If you can't you pull off your squad get the gun fixed or get a replacement gun and go to the make up trap to finish your round. You don't automatically lose the rest of the targets.

Don

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Never had that problem with my Ljutic....once with my ST-100....got a 3200 loaner from a friend... couldn't hit my a$$ with it....oh, well...

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What BigDon said. you do not lose the targets...

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

bonzai272

The most complete answer is what BigDon said. ric3677 alluded to a worst case scenario. In the worst case scenario a shooter loses whatever targets are left in the subevent he is shooting when the breakdown takes place.

Let's say you are shooting handicap. You've finished two traps (two subevents) and are twenty targets into the third trap when your gun goes south. If you are unable to fix your gun, don't have a back up gun, and can't borrow a gun to finish, you'd lose the last five targets of the third subevent. Your score would be however many targets you broke of the first 75 birds. The last 25 (the fourth subevent) wasn't started so you wouldn't lose those.

Most clubs shoot doubles as two subevents of 25 pair. If your doubles gun broke down after shooting fifteen pair of the first 25 pair, you would have to complete the first 25 pair (the first subevent) or lose the last ten pair. Since you didn't start the second 25 pair (the second subevent) those targets wouldn't be lost.

Is it all clear as mud now?

sissy

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You can also read all about this in the rulebook. Nice part about the electronic version is that you can search for key words.

13. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Yes, thanks for all the help guys, nice answers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.