1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens to Unsold New Cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GunDr, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Lets try this...

http://jalopnik.com/5135675/where-are-automakers-stashing-unsold-cars

There are a lot pictures with parked new cars looking for a home. Tried to up load a few...didn't work.

What does happen to a car that may be two yrs old an never sold?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Wholesaled out to lower end car rental companies or put up for auction? Just a guess.

Eric

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

When the dealer buys a vehicle from the manufacturer it is usually financed on the dealer floor plan by the financing arm of the manufacturer (IE: GM and GMAC and GM dealer). The dealer owns that vehicle and pays interest on it until it is sold and then they pay the balance owing. Usually, there are past model incentives, which lower the cost to the dealer and they pass it on to move the unit. Eventually, they sell. I've seen some a couple of years old and brand new on the lot. Things may have changed recently, but I don't think so. Bill Malcolm

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I have bought several new cars and trucks from GM on Employee pricing. I have been offered, in the past 2 yr old new vehicles if wanted for a substantial savings. With full warranty. J.Woolsey

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

distribute them to the less fortunate as part of the "spread the wealth program"!!

tony

6. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Back in the good old days(1929-1969)when my family was involved in the new car business, a car was not manufactured until it was ordered by a dealer. We had a demonstrator, usually one with most available options, and maybe two or three new ones on the lot. Customers would do a test drive then order what ever model, color, etc. they wanted. It took 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I remember some of the early 60's Chrysler products that were horribly ugly and seeing them on dealer lots 2 years old but technically new with less than 10 miles. These cars were being dicounted heavily. The factory helped the dealer when they carried over the first year, after that, the dealer ate the loss. I also remember 3 & 4 cars at a dealership order what you want and wait. The Japanese have Zero inventory and "just in time manufacturing". They claim, the inventories are finished goods and are either at the U.S. manufacturing site, the port of importation or the dealerships. They parade their theroies of superior manufacturing but look long enough and you will find why they are shuting plants down. Their cars are doing no better than our's right now.

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

We would order the car at the dealer for factory delivery. Fly to the factory, take delivery, drive to Vandalia an then drive the new car home after the Grand. Freight was not automatically charged and the savings paid for the trip.

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Typically, offered at zero % interest and low pricing. When the dealer that I worked at closed on Jan 8th 2008, we still had a bunch of 06' F series and SUV's. Some even needed the rotors resurfaced because of rust build up. Ford redistributed them to the competitors.

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Someplace in Arizona, there's this huge parking lot in the middle of the desert, miles away from the nearest paved road, filled to the gills with Pontiac Aztecs...

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Aztec, has to be GM's answer to the Edsel--what were they thing of?

Phil

12. james25889

james25889 Member

saw an add yesturdays paper for new 2007 chevrolet silverado z71 $21,500 so i guess they try to sell them until there sold

13. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

If you have the means and desire, now is a great time to buy new.

14. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I juust purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado half ton with extended cab NIB for 18500 with full warranty.

Ed Yanchok

15. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

They are SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!.............Roger

16. oz

oz Active Member

why would they sell them in Mexico???? that's where they come from. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what happens to unsold american cars