1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens to "Tornado" guns????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I put this in shooting related but if its not considered that I apologize....My question is,..with all the destruction and debris tossed miles from these storms you know that alot of guns had to be scattered about too...so how do they handle those recovered that are not just pocketed and stashed by the finders/keepers? If turned over to LE is any attempt to identify the owners for return?..kept in a lost and found until someone proves ownership or just sent off to the melters?...Anybody know first or second hand?? I think lots of folks like myself would like to really know..most states involved except for Illinois seem to be fairly gun friendly

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What happens to

Calvin,

Down here in Southern IL where the tornado demolished Harrisburg, IL, we are very gun friendly. In fact just about everyone hunts and owns guns or both. Sure we still have to obey the laws the turds up North have made but it is really night and day between what you hear and read in the media and reality in at least this Southern part of the state. Every town around me has a High School shooting team. Most business' both support and sponsor the shooting teams and make big deals out of the hunting seasons even offering guns as prizes for largest deer. That said, I am sure there was potentially a lot of guns either destroyed or scattered around after that tornado ran thru Harrisburg and other areas including neighboring Indiana. I'm not sure how that would be handled especially since they often find debris scattered up to several miles from its origin. I guess if they are able to track some by the serial #'s back to their owners that would be a start. I don't see how they could LEGALLY just detstroy someone else's property as you stated with the smelter. I often wondered the exact same thing. My gun safe is in my storm shelter area so whereever my safe goes, I'm going with it. :)

3. CalvinMD

What happens to

Thanks GRN..Md is sort of the same way..the rural areas are more gun friendly on a local level but we are at the mercy of the big populated murder capitols like Baltimore and the boneheaded liberal dems in Annapolis...It is an interesting question though don't you think??

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What happens to

I would definately be interested in hearing how they deal with that situation. You also have hurricanes and floods that could also result in scattered firearms.

5. CalvinMD

What happens to

I know around here the local govt would put no effort whatsoever to get the property back to the legal owners

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

What happens to

That is something I never thought of but an interesting question! We had a big one hit about six miles south of my home five years ago. We ended up with debri in my front yard but no guns. I guess I never gave that a thought. We have no registration in Indiana so I don't know how you would ever find the owner.

Steve

7. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

What happens to

Saw some mention about the ATF being involved in the Joplin disaster. Seems you might have to prove your ownership or you do not get it back.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

What happens to

I live Close to Joplin and have been close to a number of tornados over the years, lived in Pierce City when that one hit. Anaway, with that much destruction, they generally move it with bulldozers. In Pierce City, they piled it on the softball fields and it was later loaded into trucks and shipped off. You can only go thru just so much debris by hand when there are hundreds of tons of it. John

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What happens to

I found an old barrel and receiver of a .20 ga Excel single shot sticking up out of a ditch just east of Franklin, IL a couple of days after a twister tore up the town back in '84. The wood was stripped from it and the barrel was bent. I took it to the sheriff's office.

I couldn't get to the police station because it was on a street that was covered with soy beans from a 100,000 bushel steel silo that the storm tore up. A very surreal scene.

10. tnshooter111

tnshooter111 TS Member

What happens to

In 1999 my parents and one set of grandparents where hit by a tornado in Tn. The storm killed my sister and destroyed everything we had. After the storm my sister was missing and while searching for her people robbed us blind (guns included). We lost most every gun we had.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What happens to

Quote: <i>"I don't see how they could LEGALLY just detstroy someone else's property as you stated with the smelter."</i>

It would not surprise me on iota. Government will do whatever they want to do, and let the courts sort it out later. If they have to pay restitution, fines or a judgement, the bureaucrats and politicians don't care, because it's not their money they're wasting.

Can I back this up with an example? Sure. Look no further than the illegal and unconstitutional gun confiscations by the New Orleans jackbooted thugs and their helpers. They did not care that the guns they were seizing were legally owned by law abiding citizens and were not being used for criminal activity. Nor did it matter that they were stripping these citizens of their right to self-defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.