1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened to this Shell?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rtclark21, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

I just started reloading. I use an STS hull, 16.7 grains of Titewad, TGT12S wad, Remington 209P primer, and 1 oz shot. I measure the first 10 shells to ensure a consistent powder drop, then about 1 every 15 rounds just to make sure. I'm using an MEC 600Jr.

I noticed this hull after shooting on Sunday and it looks as if the top of the brass melted down to the base. It didn't shoot any different than the others, so I don't think it was a powder issue. This was the 3rd time the shell was reloaded. Any thoughts?

2. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Did you have trouble inserting the shell into the chamber? I have had that happen with a 90-T that I owned. The chamber was so tight that it would peal back the brass if not resized enough. BRGII

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

It didn't necessarily happen, or the event that caused it, in your press. Anyone that's shot enough has seen similar from all manufacturers. A hangnail/crushed/split-----and many more.

If you saw how fast they were being produced, you'd be surprised that 20% weren't "blems".

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If the shell was cocked slightly in the press , the resizer die could catch the brass and peel it down like that . Happens once in a while .

5. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have this happen to me. I have a 600 also. It does not resize the hull. If you reload used hulls that were not shot out of your gun, the size conforms from the gun they were shot from. When I close my gun the shell crimps down exactly like the shell you show...I'll bet that shell was not shot from your gun before you reloaded it....Ziggy

6. 682b

682b Member

RT, all of the above have answered your shell problem. I would only say that you don't have to check the powder drops as often as you are. Be smooth and consistent with your handle and always slide the powder bar the same way and your loader will drop consistent powder drops +or-.2 that is not enough to worry about. The more you change your rhythm the more chances you will have to make mistakes or have variations in your drops. Smooth is better. Check a couple when you start and whenever you change powder lots and when you change types. Find nice low pressure loads and it won't matter if you have some variations in your drops. Good luck and have fun. JIM

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It looks like the hull may have been damaged as the gun was closed. If the resizing isn't sufficient, or if there is a slightly larger diameter of the case head as compared to the tube, the protruding edge can get caught on the edge of the chamber as the gun is loaded and closed. The resizer could also catch the forward edge of the case head and push it down like yours was. The brass on the STS hulls seems to be rather thin, so it might be hard to notice anything when it occurs. One thing that may aggravate the issue is that when the finished shell has a slightly larger diameter around the crimp, it may not "fall" into the chamber and might hang a slight amount before you close the action. That might cause the hull to be forced to the top as the action is closed and hang up on the brass. That would require that you are shooting a break open gun. An Auto or pump might not have that problem. You didn't say what kind of gun you were shooting. It certainly wasn't melted, since the plastic was intact. The heat required to melt the brass head would most certainly melt tube before the metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.