1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Went to WallyWorld tonight to pick up some backup shells for a turkey shoot tomorrow. People were out Xmas shopping in droves. What happened to Thanksgiving? Here it is the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving and I’ve already heard “White Christmas” a half dozen times.

I like Christmas but I don’t like missing Thanksgiving the uniquely American holiday. The clown the next street over has had outside Christmas lights up and on since before Halloween.

The Wally World garden center had dozens and dozens of people carting out Christmas decorations, lights, etc . On the drive home I saw a bunch of outdoor lights on homes already. All the businesses had their lights up and burning.

I heard Sears is going to be open Thanksgiving day for the first time in their history. It is just becoming another day leading up to Dec 25. More and more it seems we are losing our American holiday.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

American's have become just a bunch of sheep! Easly fooled!

You can complain all you want, but the chain stores are going to do what the sheep will do and put up with. If everyone stayed home on Thanksgiving Day the stores would get the message. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we have to beat the next door neighbor to the store to get Christmas presents,(because we've been told to) Most are not interested in stopping for a moment and thinking about what we are truly THANKFUL for!!!

I am for one only interested in celebrating each holiday for its reason and on the time set aside for it. The chain stores don't get as much of my money or my patronage as they used too, because I refuse to fall for their games.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Black Friday has become a more anticipated day than Thanksgiving. Some stores are opening their doors at 12:01am on Friday, and you know they'll have lines of people waiting to get in.

Eric

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

People truly have nothing to live for.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I like Christmas but I don’t like missing Thanksgiving the uniquely American holiday."

I find it amazing Thanksgiving is really only one of a handful of uniquely American holidays. Washington's Birthday, Lincoln's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Just to name some are all uniquely Americans holidays.

Thanksgiving is a family day and the biggest family day of all of them. Yet it doesn't have a lot a retail value so it doesn't need the hype of Christmas to help it along. Thanksgiving is a state of mind not a day for commercializing.

So why get testy about the chain stores putting up their decorations a little early. Touting their merchandise a little early. Trying to boost their sale in a dismal economy.

This whole thread sounds like bitter old men sitting around the general store having a bitching session about everything they can find to gripe about. So just remember thanksgiving is a state of mind in your head and heart throw your thought into Friends and Family and be thankful that you are able to see and enjoy it and all that it has to offer. After all for many of us there is no telling how many more we will see. Complaining about other holidays like the Christmas hype won't change the family settings of Thanksgiving.

The way I feel about it what Walmart does or Sears does doesn't affect what I do or what my family and I will do on that day. If it bother you your the one with the problem not the holiday or how and when the Chain stores market them. JMO Have a Happy Thanksgiving all of you and be safe.

Bob Lawless

6. mra

mra TS Member

I was in Walmart Friday and the staff is no longer calling it, Black Friday,
    Walmart is calling it, The Event.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The retail stores are strongly marketing their business. I wish gun clubs would market themselves as strongly as do some stores. I would love a Black Friday doubles marathon. Something like, shoot 50 pair at the regular and then get to shoot the next 50 pair at the same price. That would be a fine sale.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.