1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened To North Hollyood Gun Club?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

I keep asking but unable to get a straight answer. What has happened to the North Hollywood Sportmans Club? Good club, great targets but they have had no shoots for several months and I see that none is scheduled for 2011. Mr. Hammonds, our Delegate here in California, what can you tell me? Bob English in Los Angeles.

2. shooter

shooter TS Member

Mr. English is not the only one that would like that information.

3. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Mr. English,

I am not involved in the club politics at any club. If you would like to discuss the issues feel free to contact me anytime. Your question might be better suited by contacting Fred Berson or Gary Bombalicki.

california_ata@yahoo.com
    (951) 258-6059
    James Hammond

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I'd like to know too since the club is just down the road from me. I almost joined once but there was so much instability leadership wise that I held back. I've haven't seen a shoot advertised since late fall.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I shot there a few times and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Then all of a sudden ... no more shoots.

Someone fill us in, please!

6. In plain view

In plain view Member

Mr. Hammond: Why do I have to discuss this with you in a private conversation? For your information I have already asked Gary and Jim Tyner and they have no clue as to what is going on. I have no idea how to get ahold of Fred Berson or I would have asked him directly as he "was" their past president. I would ask you in person but seems you have no interest in showing your presence at Redlands where I primarily shoot. Your our State Delegste and I think "you" should be able to give me some straight answers such as: Is NHSC closed, out of business, not coming back, property sold etc. I'm not interested in b.s. politics. I'm only interested in shooting and North Hollywood was one of my favorite places. I don't think I'm asking too much for some basic information. Bob English

7. shooter

shooter TS Member

To the top.

8. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Mr English

James Hammond is our delegate not the owner/manager/president of the North Hollywood Gun Club. He has no say in their operations, he can only pass on what has been reported to him. He doesn't come to Kingsburg either-no big deal.

Vince McNamara

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well so may questions... it is nice to be so popular. First, Fred Berson, has not been pesident for several years. Gary Bombalicki was president then Lane Frank. Mr. Berson was in charge of NHSC shoots for the first half of 2010... ths shoots were averaging about 20 people then dropped to 15. The poor economy has affected all ATA shooting events. In June, a few people thought that they could do a better job and Berson was replaced by Larry Parsons. That lasted for one shoot. Gary Bombalicki was then appointed to run the ATA shoots. Gary ran two shoots with the same small turn outs. By October the decision was made to cancel the ATA shoots run by the club. That decision was made by the president, Lane Frank, and Gary Bombalicki.

A new presdident, officers and board of directors has been elected for 2011. Our first meeting of the year will be held this Wednesday. I am sure that an ATA calendar of shoots will be discussed.

It is the new board's goal to restore "peace" in the club and it appears that will happen. Remember, North Hollywood is a small club that relies on volunteers to run ATA shoots. We like running ATA events and will do so in the future, but we also want to return to the "club" atmosphere of the past and will run internal events and social events this coming year. We welcome new members and, I think, will restructure our pricing to encourage new membership.

NHSC is currently open Wednesday mornings [Retirement Weds.] and weekends, 8:00 to 1:00. We welcome guests. If you are a member of another club, you can shoot at NHSC member rates, $4.00/round. If you want to get a hold of me, my e-mail address is: fssberson@aol.com. Fred Berson

10. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Bob, and for all of our other past supporters of our NHSC ATA shoots. Jim and I ran over 40 ATA shoots at NHSC up though October of last year. We had a good time doing them and worked hard to see that they were run right and people had a good time. However, it was time for us to make a change and the Club leaders change every year as well. The new leadership has some good ideas and has set some membership goals that we fully support.

The new president will appointing some new chairmen and we assume that will include a new Shoot Director. Whoever this is, we will be glad to assist him in any way we can. We expect that some NHSC ATA dates will be added to calendar in the near future and we look forward to participating.

Gary & Jim

11. radeck

radeck Member

I hope the ATA shoots at North Hollywood come back. I was south of LA late last year visiting family and drove up on a Saturday to register some targets at the scheduled ATA at NHSC. I found the club up that canyon, drove over a dry wash and into an almost empty parking lot, and found out the shoot was cancelled that day. But I did find the Oaktree club for some practice, so all was not lost.

Kind of funny that weekend was, as on my way back north on Sunday I swung by the Palmdale club for their ATA and that turn out was light, so I got some more practice in…

Things didn’t go quite as I thought they would; but I had fun anyways.

12. In plain view

In plain view Member

Finally, I got some straight answers. Sorry Mr. Berson, I assumed you were last years president. I find it difficult to understand why this information wasn't devulged much earlier. I'm disappointed that we have members of NHSC, the CGSTA Officers, Directors and even our Delegate made no effort to keep the shooters informed as to the temporary closure of North Hollywood. By keeping the shooters who have supported NHSC in the dark for months and then hear that the club will be coming back forthwith is puzzling especially when we have this marvelous site (TS.COM) that cost nothing to post information. Our Delegate could have said something in his colume in Trap & Field as well. I'm willing to bet a steak dinner that once NHSC gets close to resumming operations TS.COM will be heavily used. The past is the past, let'move on and get North Hollywood operating again. It's a great place to shoot. Bob English

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Fred and Bob tell it as it is! Two among a group of my favorite and respected people around the So-Cal trapshooting scene along with Gary B. Fred...some of us retired guys like myself travel a lot; therefore, it may seem that we don't support local ATA as much as we "should"...but I sure wish I could be more helpful and supportive. Give me a shout anytimere. that..right now, I'm writing this from a Starbucks in Placerville, California..so, as is often, on the road again.

Regards,

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Bob: NHSC did NOT close down. We only stopped holding ATA events. Some of the information that you want published is not really appropriate for "public" consumption, [family 'dirty laundry' needs to stay in the family]. North Hollywood is one of the oldest [1936] private clubs in California and as such we hold many club activities. Practice shooting clay targets is a major activity along with our fun shoots, interclub, club challenges, and social activities. At one time we held salt water fishing trips... today many of the club members go up to Mammoth Lakes and about 5 members go to Alaska every year. Look for us to start ATA events probably around March IF we can get back on the calendar. Fred

15. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Glad to see that NHSC will be hosting ATA shoots again.

I don't get to shoot at NHSC very often but every time I go I have a good time and a good shoot. And the lunches have been outstanding.

Your Wednesday offer of $4.00 rounds for other club members is enticing I'll try to get a group together before long and give it a try.

Charlie

16. In plain view

In plain view Member

Fred: Maybe my wording was wrong and I apologize but please understand I had no intent to bring to the table any internal conflicts or reopen any wounds. What I was trying to determine if NHSC was still in existance and would ATA shooting be coming back. Now that I know what is going on I can now look forward to supporting this club again. It's just my opinion but I would have thought that a comment here on TS.COM would have sufficed without saying too much. It's just me but when I support something, like NHSC, I hate being kept in the dark. When ATA shooting resumes kindly post here. Let's get MHSC moving ahead again. Bob English

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Bob: 10-4 Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.