1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Nascar? ¦Doggy-style racing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Texshooter, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

What happened to Nascar? ?Doggy-style racing

I haven't watched car racing in a while, yesterday's Daytona 500 had cars running on each others bumper. It just doesn't look right. One web site had a collection of names for it like: ?Racing With The Stars
    ?Tag-Team racing
    ?Auto-Spooning
    ?Synchronized Driving
    ?NASCAR sponsored by eHarmony
    ?Noah's Ark racing
    ?Two Man Pairs Figure Skating racing
    ?Buddy System racing
    ?Shake and Bake
    ?Doggy-style racing
    And "Dragonfly racing" because it looks like two dragonflies mating. Some of you guys are hard core race fans, what do the fans think? AJ

2. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Holy smokes! Did you guys actually watch the race yesterday?

It was probably one of the best races at Daytona in its history. You had a young 20 year old rookie - driving for a historic team (Woods Brothers) that is fighting for its racing life - pull off one of biggest upsets I can remember in any sport in a long time. Great Cinderella story. Trevor Bayne is likely to be a star in the future. He spent all day paying his dues and pushing the veterans in the draft and on the final lap he held off two former series champions for the win. Incredible story of an underdog coming out on top and a great win for the Woods Brothers Racing team. Overall, the race was very competitive and entertaining.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It was indeed a great race and i don't care much for NASCAR. I was amazed at how high the speeds were even after the changes. I would love to see them quit restricting these cars.

Matt

4. wannaz

wannaz Member

I personally don't care for the 2 car drafting, the finish was entertaining. I am happy for the Wood bros., long time overdue for some veteran owners. I myself would like to see them take away the spoilers, and restrictor plates, that ought to show you who the real drivers are eh?

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

The race sure started with a lot of yellow flags and at first I thought it was going to be a really bad race, but then it did get much better. Some longer green flag runs, tons of lead changes, a great story in the winner. I just wish Jr. would've won but he made a good showing.

They took the wings off the cars which was a good move. They looked ridiculous with those things but I think overall it was good to watch in my opinion and I plan to be there next year. The 2 car drafting is made possible because of the new smooth track surface so they can go all the way around nose to tail. It was fun to see who hooked up with who and they could sure fly that way.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

ctreay........if that happened there wouldn't be anyone in the grandstands and then no purse money. NASCAR has evolved from your concept to what it is today. There is still a lot of the technology that goes from the race track to the production car.

Personally my thoughts are asphalt is for getting to the dirt track but I still enjoy watching MASCAR.

I'm a Tony Stewart fan but I found myself rooting for Bayne from the middle of the race on.

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

personally, I think it was a sham, bought and paid for set to recapture the attention of the fans drifting away from Nascar. Loosing young fans? what better way than to have a literally unknown young racecar driver win the biggest race in Nascar? if that race was on the level, than Nascar has got a lot of dead weight in the rest of the race car drivers not performing up to their highest level. I believe it was a planned finish.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Twinbirds

Awwww Geeezz. Talk about throwing out bait in a no fishing area. Really??

Matt

9. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Super to see the --WOOD BROS.#21 WIN,fixed or not??.Way over due.A DECADE WITH OUT A WIN!!!!!!!!.Good place for the Hendrick and R.C.R cars on the sidelines,blown up and bent!!----F-O-R-D.--1-2-3 finnish.
    First-On-Race-Day.
    LOL

Matt ,im hooked !!!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

New pavement....much improved grip on the whole track, especially the corners...witness the 200mph+ lap speeds in the draft...more power makin' it to the pavement...7-8 mph faster than last year before the surface started to chunk...and I still like the non-restrictor track like Atlanta better...but that being said....NASCAR today is a shadow of the "good old days" when the cars were actually based on what you could buy at the dealerships...everything now looks like a '54 Plymouth Savoy coupe....JMHO as a geeezer who's been following NASCAR since 1959....back then you had to read written accounts of the races in Motor Trend 3 months later....

Ron Burr

11. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Very good race. Nice to see the kid win but disappointing for Jr to get taken out so close to the end. Not a big Jr fan but he and his team really need a win to get back on track. I don't think we'll ever see the return of different looking cars (e.g. That fast but ugly Superbird), NASCAR doesn't want to see one or two types dominating all the races; but it was interesting back in the day. Don't know who I'll root for when Martin retires, all the old guys have disappeared. Hope I can remain as interested after that. Drag racing is no longer interesting to me for many of the same reasons. Cookie-cutter cars, big money and the same teams dominate every year. Wish they would start televising the nostalgia racing events, they may find a bigger audience. It would sure be a lot more interesting to watch IMO.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Someone pulled the plug on them. I'd say it was the fans. They were very brand loyal, so companies were lined up to be sponsers. Economy was good and tickets for races were booked several years in advance. It also became a fad, trendyish, a preppy to be a fan. Then O'bamy got elected and the bottom dropped out of the economy. Fans stopped buying tickets to go to races and bought food instead. Just like the shooting sports right now. Numbers are way down at shoots. Things will get better "Right". Break-em all. Jeff

13. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

The real racing starts this coming weekend

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The last good NASCAR seasons as far as I'm concerned was 1969 and 1970, when the Ford 427 and 429 Cobras, Talladegas and Mercury Cyclones took on the Winged Warriors from Mopar.

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Worlds Fastest Trapshooter and his ride...
    [​IMG]

16. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

You'll have a lot of support from us old folks with regard to that post Brian. :)

17. al391

al391 TS Member

I stopped watching NASCAR last year. I thought the "car of tomorrow" was ugly and don't like the idea that without the decals they were all the same. Doing away with the splitter and that rediculus wing brought me back for the opener..................I liked the race and the outcome. Looks like the FR9 engine was the ticket. If I had my wish....I'd like to see 60's style trans am, real poney cars, no tube chassis. That was great racing, Mustangs, Comaro's Challenger's and Javalin's. OH, and those Detroit AFX cars.... Jack

18. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

yup, has all the earmarks of B.S. racing, the US loves the underdog win, the new kid on the block, maybe not enough fuel to finish, more exciting spinouts, new record cautions on new pavement?, and wrecks fabricated from a Hollywood script? If you think that was a real honest performance than Nascar has a bunch of no driving talent pushing their way around the track! oh yeah 80/1 odds, sure it is real.. the sport writers even mention like a Hollywood script mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nascar = WWE.....

Fixed, rigged, etc, etc.

Nascar is almost as boring as listening to a chess match on the radio....almost!!

Curt

20. andybull

andybull Active Member

Love Bug Racing. Go # 42!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.