1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened to Ed Scherer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coconutjoy, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Can anyone tell me did investigators or family ever find or figured out what happened to Skeet Shooting Champ and Instructor Ed Scherer,is his disappearance still a unsolved case?

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Either he is alive and well in South America (not paying taxes) or someone got away with murder. Most folks that knew him suspect the later.

Jim Skeel

3. Donm

Donm Active Member

If I remember right they found one of his dogs. Canada where he went missing has way too much bush to find someone that is down. With the bears (no not the chicago kind) and wolves his remains would have been gone in a couple of days.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's some truth in Jim Sleel's post. Essentially the world was divided into
    two classes: (1) Ed Scherer (2) Those who were not Ed Scherer.

Oddly, pretty much the same thing happened to Vic Reinders.

5. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I took lessons from Ed Scherer back in the late 1980"s when I was skeet shooting and I learned a lot about the game from him. I considered him a very interesting man and I lived the WW-II stories as he told them. He was a member in good standing of the Greatest Generation and people of his character are disappearing far too quickly. I guess we can only speculate as to what really happened. I do miss him.

Mark Russell

6. finger

finger TS Member

Oh my the conspiracy theories. Facts are this as I know them.

Ed was grouse hunting with his two dogs in Canada.
    remains of one dog were found.
    His shotgun has not been recovered to my knowledge.

If Ed is living in SA he is an old man now. Hope he is enjoying life. We lose veterans of WWII at an accelerated pace. Youngest of them would today be not less than 83 today.

I dumped a pile of deer guts about 50 feet from my barn last fall, just to watch see how long they would be there. The very next morning not a trace could be found except some blood on the leaves. No wolves here. bob

7. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

What happened to Vic? thought he just died, man what a shooter he was and a character from what i have heard and read.

8. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Had the Pleasure of Shooting with Ed in South Florida during one of his Teaching Tours...Great man..Great Sportsman....Can't Help but Believe..That His Sustained Lead ..Caught Up With Him. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

9. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Bluedevil, Vic did and his ashes were spread at the WGC by Gary Schaetzel.

Ed Sherer taught me to shoot skeet and I new him well as a friend. So therefore I can positively say he is deceased because no one with his ego could be alive and not let people know it :)

Rick

10. skeeljc

I thought Ed went missing in northern Wisconsin, not Canada.

Jim Skeel

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

From January, 1996 Sporting Clays magazine

I took sporting clay lessons from Ed in March before he disappeared, and was looking forward to seeing him again the next spring. He certainly did like his brandy Manhattans.

R.I.P., Ed
    mtatom_2008_030343.jpg

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

After reading the article I undertsand Jim Skeel's response. What is the rest of the story?

13. skeeljc

His "hunting buddy" was his girl friend as I heard the story.

Jim Skeel

14. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

I took lessons from him in 1993,very interesting gentleman.He was shall I say very confident in himself,but he was a great teacher for sure and also a great sports fan.Overall great to be around.

15. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I've known a couple of those old WW II fighter pilots and they were cocky but they deserved every bit of respect given. Tip of the ole hat to ya Ed!

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jim, that certainly adds another dimension to the story. I would think a man with that background would not vanish a few feet from his vehicle. Makes me think he wasn't in the woods to begin with. His " hunting buddy" would be a person of interest to the police as the last person to see him. If I was a detective that would be the guy I would want to talk to under the bright lights. If critters ate him, his clothes and gun would be spread out all over. They would have found something. But this is too obvious, the "hunting buddy" must have had a good story.

17. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Ed traveled with lovely Virginia, shown receiving instruction above.
    mtatom_2008_030346.jpg

My favorite quote from the biographical info in "Ed Scherer on Sporting Clays":

"After 13 missions...the war was over, but Scherer didn't return to his native Wisconsin till a year later. After all, wouldn't you stay on Okinawa if you could shoot up to 500 skeet shells a day on skeet targets and date the Red Cross ladies, and the nurses at night? The men had gone stateside and the only thing left in Okinawa were skeet fields with targets and Federal Monarks #8's and women."

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I knew a guy that hired Ed to give him lessons on High 2 skeet targets. Ed asked him to shoot a few. The guy took his stance and was ready to call when Ed started shouting "Unload! Unload!" Ed came around and asked him is that was his stance on all the targets. My friend said it was. Ed said, "Here's your money back. I won't be able to help you."

19. mflora

mflora Member

Took lessons from Ed at Detroit Gun Club in the mid-80s. Watched him shoot many times at the Motor State and World shoots. Never saw him pick up a tab but do still use a signed shooting bag of his that I won.
    Mark

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

As a few of you know, Ed is alive and well, living on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. He doesn't shoot registered NSSA or NSCA birds any more, but shows up to visit at an occasional shoot. He shoots a few Canadas in the early season but doesn't go out in cold weather any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ed scherer

ed scherer disappearance
ed scherer missing
ed scherer seeing the leads
ed scherer skeet
ed scherer skeet shooting
ed shereer
seeing the leads ed sherer