1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Earl Scripture

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gbt2, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbt2

gbt2 Member

Anyone know what became of Earl Scripture? Word had it that 3 or 4 years ago their was a clemency hearing to appeal his lifetime suspension, and things looked like they were going in his favor.

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

This picture was taken at the 2007 NC HOF banquet. Paul Rollins was inducted into the NC HOF and Earl said a few words in Paul's behalf.

FRedmon

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Dang, Earl sure cleans up nice! ;)

Hauxfan!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looks the same as he did when I last saw him ( 1985)I always liked Earl regardless of his shortcomings

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl has been my friend for over 35 years and I see him a couple of times each year. He had some problems and no longer shoots ATA targets. He often gives me shooting tips. I wish things would have worked out better for him and us.

Pat Ireland

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recognize him without his stetson.

7. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

This not a reflection on anyone in particular but I have been around trapshooting for 40 years and I have met a lot more shady characters than Earl. He's upfront and you know where he's coming from. I would trust him a lot more than many I have met and they still strut around like they are God's gift to trapshooting.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did the blonde come with Earl?

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He could sell a gun to a person without arms and could put you out in a custer in a heart beat. One hell of a man in his time. I agree with Bluedevil completely. I was at Indiana gun club years ago and I bought a shotgun. That was the days before I used plastic so I went to the truck to get my checkbook and realized I left it at home. He offered to let me take the gun and pay him later because it was 120 miles home. People who trust other people are generally trustworthy and he was in my opinion. I just like Pat wish things would have turned out better for him.

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Earl scored at the SC State shoot several years back for our handicap squad (27 yd shooters) and was seated a good 10 yards beyond the 27 and when we finished he asked to look at my Kolar and while still sitting down called for a target and broke it shooting from the hip at about the 37 yard line equivelent. Needless to say I was impressed. I think he's paid his dues with the ATA. But until they let Pete Rose into the Baseball HOF, Earl probably wont get into the Trapshooting HOF. He's an accomplished shooter and an interesting fella' to talk with.

Dave

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I seem to recall that Earl was given a chance to turn things around with the ATA with a few restrictions, but made the choice not to ... I do remember a thread on TS.Com where some of the details were mentioned but can't remember just how long ago it was ... Anybody ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I like Earl, and think more of him than several big and former big wigs in the ATA and other places.

I would love to shoot with him again.

13. bgf

bgf Active Member

If he is a cigar smoker he can't be all bad.

Bernie

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Great character with poor judgement. Too Bad.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barry, I agree, but I don't think Earl is all alone in that department either! Hap

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

So many people skills, so much talent. He could have been the greatest spokesman for our sport. Still, too bad.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Earl get arrested a few years back in Florida for spousal abuse? This might disqualify a person from ever owning a firearm again.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Earl scores at Hog Heaven a few times a year. He still has a million stories about shooting and shooters. Great to just sit down and talk to.

Don

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bill...no ones talking. I've never heard the complete story either. Been hard to separate truth from rumors.

20. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Perhaps the saddest part of this entire fiasco is that Earl had some of the best natural ability and instincts you could ever hope for and did not need to do the things he did to "post" good scores. He was just plain tough. AND, he ran a fantastic shoot wherever he was. He was always interested in making sure the help was taken care of and that the shooters had the best targets anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
did earl scripture play baseball

earl scripture

earl scripture trap shooter

earl scripture trapshooter

photo of earl scripture trapshooter