1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to Bishop's and Fajen?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dollydog, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dollydog

dollydog TS Member

What happened to Bishop

What ever happened to Bishop's and Fajen? What happened to the wood? 30+yrs. ago you could order an inletted piece or piece of wood, several choices of figure or quality. Inletted to fit your shotgun and you and I with minimal talent, a rasp, some sandpaper could create a gun stock that would fit and would be a showpiece, or send it back later and have it checkered with designs of choice. Someone has obviously replaced them, but who?

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Fajen was acquired by Wenig if I recall correctly...

Jay

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Fajen bought Bishop and Wenig then bought Fajen. I believe that Mr. Wenig worked for Fajen but I could be wrong on that.

Eric

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They went out of buisness due to greed-- Bishop began doing volumne AK type stuff- and when that dried up they had lost their customers

Fajen was purchased by investors and began trying to do volumne purchases and leverage their assets-- They purchased Bishop- Fred left because he didnt like the way things were being run - the change to an environment like a junk yard parts place-

Fred moved to his old Bank building and Fajen went under a couple of year or so after-- the remnants of Fajen was moved to Lincoln- and not sure what happened but they never were a going concern after that

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From an article from Google.

"Fajen purchased Bishop and later was purchased itself. After several years the new owners decided custom stockmaking wasn't a business they wanted to be in and Fajen closed. Fred Wenig and several other veterans of Fajen formed their own company."

Eric

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Fajen was bought by John Barrianger who lived in Cleveland, Ohio from Mr. Fajen. In 1992 Mr. Barranger was bought out by Larry Potterfield who ownes Midwest Shooters Supply in Springfield Missouri. Mr Potterfield then bought out Bishop about a year later. Fred Wenig left Fajen shortly after Potterfield bought the company and then started Wenig Custom Gunstocks that is in the current location. Hope this helps with the info asked for.

Dennis DeVault

7. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

Dennis, Larry Potterfield has Midway and it is in Columbia. Bass Pro is headquartered in Springfield, Mo. where I live. Bud Wood

8. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Thanks Bud,

Got the towns confused.

Dennis

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Boyd's Gunstocks has largely replaced what Fajens used to do. Boyds offers semi-finished (inletted) fully fitted (but not finished), and fully finished stocKs, along with standard or custom checkering, etc. Stocks usually
    available for a wide variety of rifles and shotguns, just as Fajen did. Visit them at "www.boydboys.com" I have purchased a couple of their stocks, one to complete a semi-custom Remington 700 I built and the quality was first rate, as good as anything I got from Fajens. A full color catalog is also available I think.

Jim R

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Link above is the right one for Boyds.

Eric

11. dhg

dhg TS Member

TTT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.