1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to all the game shooters!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by john g., Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Expendable Income

Grand attendance down 7-to 10%. Game shooting down,hell crays shooting down in general except for the S.C.T.P in my area.
    Look around alot of shooters{People} out of work.
    And not alot of youth coming in to shooting the Games. Sponsor or mentor 1or 2

John G.

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

4 years ago we had 30+ shooters hang around after trap for games. Now we are lucky to shoot 6 in games!

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

You have both expressed the same as we are seeing in our area. Bringing new shooters into the game is becoming more & more difficult. The media reflection of all gun owners are potential terriests & mental defects doesn't help. Thanks for your input!

Big Jack

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is a new game in town, it's called Sporting Clays. HMB

5. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i prefer shooting "games" over rounds of regular trap-- why? i like finding or building up a game gun to shoot waaay back at the fence- i have my favorite backup loads #6 1 1/4 oz potter loads!! giving someone your reload equation is like telling them where your big deer spot is to hunt!!!!!

the memories i have from back in the '60s when mdl 12s & 870s were in the club rack is what i crave-- old guys shooting loads out of their left pocket ( kinda hidden) rather the regular loads , you could hear the differance!!

those guys today if not gone to heaven, all shoot release triggers or are worried that their ata style shooting will get screwed up

i also see shooters more concerned with when they need to get home cuz the wife has them booked up !! my dad was never too concerned about running somewhere with my mom- nor did i ever hear him say-we better ask your mom if we can buy that so and so item!!!!

health concerns is another big big issue--- back in the '60s , i never heard at our lil club, anyone talking about their doctor visits !!

i have this feeling, that in the last few years--life has spedup for everyone--if you do come to shoot, it'll be a few rounds of trap and then they gotta go to another commitment and cant hang around to do the games

one last thing--- asking someone to stay for games --is it to build the pot for the wolves to feed on??????

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

You got it all wrong boys, young shooters are into AR-15's, Glock and 1911's, action shooting. In their eyes trap is for old farts, guys who can't run and gun. The ranges I go to are busy and they have all the cool toys and they burn ammo. I'm an old fart but I like AR's and handguns more than trap but if I was flush I would shoot more sporting clays, just my 2 cents worth, best to you all.

7. acss

bluedevil-- you are deadon--- in a way trap shooting has missed the market like big old chuches filled with a mature congregation has missed new young members--modern church services are in!!!!! and by the way, i must be the only guy at the club who hasnt shot an AR!!!

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sporties have certainly taken from trap by being more welcoming and friendly toward new shooters, but the economy is affecting all forms of clay shooting. The hocus-pocus the gov't plays with the unemployent figures conceals how bad things really are.

-Gary

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

In Southern Ohio we still have about the same amount of buddy shooters, you spend $3 a buddy and if you win you get $6 back for 2nd you get $3 back.

We shoot Annie Oakleys, 5 from the pole.

Shootoffs are normaly 60+yards, shoot what you brung is the motto.

Sporting Clays has been on a steady rise in Southern Ohio also.

5 Stand is a close second.

I shoot buddies 3 nights a week normally.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I lived in Chicago in 1972 and you could shoot games at a different club each night of the week. Then moved to KC where it was about the same. Now living in FtWorth, never heard of them not only here, but only 2 places in the entire state that I know of. Plus in the DFW area, most if not all trap clubs are private and expensive to join. Went to a 2 day registered shoot this last Spring in FtWorth and not one person greeted us the entire time but the trap boy at the counter where we checked in. Could be Sporties is more friendly, could be Action Shooting is more thrilling. I think it's the economy, high unemployment, low interest rates on retirements, uncertainty and big cost of shells and loading components. Registered target cost is 4 times what it was when I started in 1970...my income is not. Gary, $6 for a win? I remember winning $60.00 in a one tie-all tie during the 70's. In fact, I supported myself for a year with income only from game shooting. But that was back in-the-day. My apartment rent was $250/month including all utilities. Shot was $7/bag. A new Vette was under $5,000.

milt

11. John D.

John D. TS Member

Back in the 90's shot games 2 to 3 times a week. Been away for about 12 years . Been trying to get back but it is hard to find a partner to go with on a regular basis with club being about 55 miles away one way 110 round trip with todays fuel prices.
    But I do love the Annies over straight 16 yard trap shooting.
    All things play into decline, Retired, fix income, health issues, shooting cost,fuel cost and club fees.

12. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I went to a club about 3 times and watch the buddy shoots. It was more or less like I had the plague it was the most unfriendly bunch of guys I have ever seen. Not one person even said boo or even looked approachable. And I was a New Shooter. How are they gonna boost the games if they behave like this. I couldn't get someone to shoot with me even offering to pay.

13. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Come to our Club, Rattlesnake Mountain, Tri-Cities WA.
    We do nothing but Annie's and Buddies once a month starting in Sept.
    We have 40 to a hIgh of 70 shooters. We have fun!

Starts Sept 30th.

Bill

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Same for Melba Idaho- we shoot nothing but games twice a month and get good crowds that will double right after registered shooting and hunting season end. You just have to know where to go

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

DDS, despite how offensive you initially come off (LOL), I will be happy to do a buddy shoot with you once my shoulder heals up :)

However, I do reserve the right to walk off when they let the idiots pull out the 2-1/4 oz, 3" shells (I'm ugly enough without Ljutic metal sticking out of my face).

Anyway, stop dorking around on TS.com and get back to bank 6. I'm expecting big a big 'caps score out of you today!

-Gary

16. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

"You just have to know where to go"

Lou, I just Mapquested FtWorth to Melba. 1620 miles from my house to your G.C. 24 hours driving time. What time is the first shot fired?...I don't want to be late.

LOL

PS, It might be less miles from my place to yours versus driving this state trying to find a games shoot in TX.

milt

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Mette56: We used to shoot a buddy all elbow to elbow on the lineand we would win 30 to 60 dollars.

We also shot 100 bird buddy calcuttas that's fun get's money into it.

We shoot 60 bird buddy calcuttas in Kentucky about 120 miles one way for me.

They are shot 10 birds at a time and the 10s shoot off from a predetermined place over a voice call. I have seen each 10 bird worth more than $600.00

Plus 1st 2nd 3rd 4th place in calcutta.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Gun and ammo sales are at an all time high and trap shooting is dying. Honestly I don't know if is can be saved.

The kids I coach at SCTP all...and I mean every one of them...move on to Sporting Clays and rarely come back to the trap fields. Why? It bores the hell out of them and they don't want to hang out with unfriendly old fat white guys. I've literally been told that same story over and over.

These kids love their shotguns and they love breaking flying targets. But they aren't coming to shoot trap of their own volition.

We don't see a whole lot of them move to 3 gun or action pistol because the equipment is more specialized and the minimum investment is a lot higher than an 1100 or 391.

19. plaw

plaw Active Member

Just got back from my local club monthly ata shoot. we had 1 sgd. of singles and 6 shooters for handi. and 4 shooters for doubles. we use to run 6 to 7 sgds for singles and handicap and 2 sgds for doubles.

20. acss

i think you guys are missing the question slightly-- of the shooters who are trapshooting and coming to the club-- why are they NOT sticking around for the games after regular rounds are over? before, it seemed like everyone hung around to see the fun backup lonrange shooting!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.