1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened? Reloading for quantity not quality

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Neil Winston, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

A few of us old-time re-loaders were going back over better times again at the club the other day and many recalled how hard we worked for quality, a concept apparently distant not only from the new crop of handle-jammers, but now from many of those taking part in the discussion, regrettably.

Now I'm not talking about the three or four at the table who used to try to load duplex loads on progressive machines. Personally I thought all that laborious layering eights/seven and a halfs/eights and so on in the shot bottle was never going to work in the long run. Sure, the theoretical advantages cannot be questioned - the pellet count of smaller shot, the energy of larger, what could be a handsomer payoff? But in the end we all remembered I had been right. A single partial advance of the turret with, say, no primer, got the layers out of phase and now the seven and a halfs were on the bottom. We'll never forget the reverberations of the crashing of the heavy shot into the smaller ones in front and the way it caused snickers up and down the line.

No, what disappointed me was the number of previously-careful workers who now admit to just - I think this must be what they are doing - pouring the shot from the bag into the bottles and firing up the machine with no concern about getting them properly lined-up for the best pattern performance. I was frankly dismayed that so many would no longer take the time to get things right, like this:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Sure, it takes a bit of patience to get them all lined up like that, straight up and down in the bottle, but a few hours spent at the reloader pays off on the line believe me, with patterns so even and shot strings so short your averages will skyrocket and your reputation as a marksman with them. I, at least, am glad I haven't been seduced by the siren-song of "efficiency" and still hold to the old standards of quality we all once observed.

Neil

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Were you using those specially prepared shells when you shot that 69 on Sunday? HMB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I don't like the looks of that pellet dead center...better take that one out, the shell that goes in will surely miss...

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

My P/W automaticly does that for me...

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

HMB you made me choke on my coffee. Too funny!

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Dammit Neil, how long have you been withholding this from us.

No wonder I still have some misses. It's because my lead isn't lined up.

Thanks for setting me and the lead straight.

Hauxfan!

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Neil...
    I understand this "new crowd" of handle jammers has even started to fill their shot hoppers without first conducting the usual, customary and ordinary pellet inspections we all grew up doing. Imagine just pouring shot out of the bag without first running it through the shot inspection tray to see that each pellet has been properly formed and sized, is burr free, and falls within the aceptable range of weight for it's size. Geeezzz....it's hard to imagine how they break anything with such careless habits..!! I doubt any will admit it, but they're probably also not weight checking their primers so they can sort them by the amount of composition in each... in order to achieve uniform velocities from their loads.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Neil--------You do have a sense of humor. I'll be darned.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Neil....I am not fooled. I know what really happens. YOU pour the shot into the bottle and you have Kyra arrange them in perfect fashion. The old "Uncle" from Penna. is not easily fooled !!!..............Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. sharktown

sharktown Member

That was way too funny - laughing so hard I'm crying!!!

Sharktown

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I used to load mine like this but..........I can fit 5 to 6 more pellets in a load if I offset each row by 1/2 pellet.

tony

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Neil: As a clinical therapist I can definitely diagnosis you "An anal retentive disorder". Do you have difficulty parting with the reloaded shot? Have you named any of them? Is each wad labeled for return to you? This is a serious condition and should not be taken lightly... You and Malcolm are similar... he has a record of EVERY shell he has reloaded ever ... dated and timed. Just an awsome feat, but why? Fred

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

LOL! Guilty as charged!

I used to make Annie loads by setting my PW to drop 3/4 oz of #6s over 39.5 grains of Blue dot then scooping up 5/8s oz of #4s on top when the handle returned to the up position, using Fed Gold Medal or Fiocci hulls.

Kinda slow too load but deadly at both ends of a 3 inch Mod 12!

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ahab: A pot shooting buddy of mine would load each shell with his wife's vibrator/dildo to settle all of the shot and powder and other secret ingredients [buffering agent]. The funniest thing I ever saw. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.