1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT HAPPENED HERE?? 4x

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

1) Primer after firing in an 870 was protruded out the back of the shell where usually it is bent in from the firing pin strike and very VERY difficult to eject from the gun. Shot sounded a little louder than the other rounds before and after.

2) Hole in bottom cup of wad. Will this or did this cause problem with pressure or quality of the shot patterting? What would be the bad and good parts of this happening?

3) Wads bent side ways. Does this affect patterning? This was happening alot yesterday with my Claybusters. What caused this and what would it do after leaving the barrel?

4) Wad Wing bent back. I know I loaded these with all of the wings up right but this one after fired somehow got molded backwards and I hit the clay but what caused this?
    [​IMG]

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Items not in exact order as above but you get the idea.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

loose choke tube, partical bbl obstruction?

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

1 Overpressure load or bolt not completely in battery most likely over pressure

2 burn through on the gas cup most likely little if any effect on pressure or pattern because the bottom of the shot cup was not breached.

3 and 4 normal after being shot.

my 2 pennies

---Chip King ---

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The protruded primer may be a sign of excessive pressure or may be head space.

Double check your load data, if you still have any shells left, check the amount and if you can the type of powder.

What is the reloading data? Any substitutions from the published data?

Jason

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

All were loaded with 700X 16.9gr - 17.2gr. Used either Green Duster wad or Claybuster 1oz wad. Rem 209STS primers and 1oz shot #6's. The one with the primer I was almost sure it was a possible overcharged load due to the louder burst it gave and seemed that the back of the primer was pushed out due to the presures. My choke tube stayed tight the whole session and did not see any obstruction. These were all from different rounds fired off not a single round thus the multiple wads.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Usually a protruding primer is a sign of excessive pressure in both shot shell and centerfire metallic cartridges as well.

10. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

You have two choices -

1) reload more carefully

2) at least warn your squad you're using 25,000 PSI loads.

11. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes these were my old Gun Club reloads from when I started reloading a couple of years ago I wasn't expecting them to shoot nicely.

I also went through 200 of my newly reloaded STS's and they were so much more consistant, not to mention they cycled through my new 870 much better than the Gun Clubs.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In the future, I'd suggest cutting them apart and weighing the charges and checking them against the proven safe recipes rather than checking them by shooting. This is especially true when the load is questionable or unknown.

Just Say'n.........

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

#1 - Hot load - you made a bo-bo somewhere. Hope you don't shoot many more like that!

#2 - No big deal

#3 your wad guide was/is missing a finger or two and the wad is snagging the case mouth as you seat it. This will effect performance dramatically right up to the occaisional blooper.

#4 - nothing to worry about.

14. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Wolfram,

I only had one of these boo-boo's the whole day as I am usually checking my drops every 3 loads and not BREWS at the bench until I am done... So I don't expect these to happen anymore. The wad guide fingers could use a fresh set.

Thank you guys for the help. I appreciate it.

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Cratered firing pin mark on the primer is a sure sign of extreme pressure in a rifle metallic case. I have never seen it in a shotgun case before. Difficult extraction is another sign of excessive pressure. I can't believe a shotgun could survive pressure at that level without catastrophic failure. DO NOT shoot any shells if there is any possibility they have similar components. You are extremely lucky with the results of this firing and most likely would not be so lucky if it occurred again.

jim brown

16. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

What did the crimp look like on the excessive pressure shell?

17. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Looked like any other shell.

The sound was louder than the others as stated before but not so much that the guys noticed anything until they saw me trying to shuck the gun open then it eventually came out with a soft pull of the wood. That does puzzle me when some of the steel hulls are tough to extract by normal pulling of the forearm they stay lodged then with the softest pull they come right out. It's the hard yanking that they don't want to come out.

18. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Did I catch a post a few back from you that said you loaded 1 oz. of #6's? Hopefully that was a typo!

Tim

19. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Leads me to believe you may of had a cocked wad or something. If you would have dropped a double load of powder there probably wouldn't have been room to crimp the shell or at least it would have been bulging. Reloading is one of those things you have to give your full attention to and be very careful. It sounds like you were very fortunate not to get injured. If your wad guide fingers are broke then you will have lots of wads catching the shells and not going in straight. I never shoot a shell with a cocked wad or any buldge on it. I cut those apart and start over and it's always caused by a broken wad guide finger, that's why I keep extras around.

20. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

X2fan,

What's wrong with #6 shot? or what is wrong with 1 ounce loads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.