1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what happend here???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by daydreamer1, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

went to the range to shoot a few rounds of trap. my shooting buddy loaded some 12 ga rem. sts. with 16 gr of int. clays win. 209 primer. and claybuster waa12l wads. 7/8 oz #8 shot. could not brake to many with this load. no recoil, felt like i was shooting a 410. people watching thought i was shooting a 410. my buddy shot the same shells and turned the clays to dust and sounded like a canon!!my gun is a k 32 with 32in top single factory imp. mod choke and not ported. his gun a browning special sporting edition ,30 in bbl. screw in mod choke.ported bbl. can there be that much differenc in how different guns will handle the same shells? he also thought the shells had more recoil than same shells with 18.3 gr clays.

2. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

how true. but not intrested in score . just how the same shell reacted so different in the 2 guns. and yes we did check with scale and shell were loaded on same reloader. loaded 100 shells at one time and checked on balance scale often.

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Same exact load, same shell, same powder, same primer, same wad, same shot charge, Okay. I presume all the cases were treated the same way prior to loading. No cases picked up from a wet field or rain and not thoroughly dried prior to loading, especially so for one person but not the other?

Now for the questions, same person loading all the shells or did you each load your own? Even using the same press, different people may "short stroke" the press causing different powder fall and/or different wad seating and/or different crimp depth. If the same person loaded all the shells, then what is left is a DIFFERENT GUN.

Next question, how is the firing pin and firing pin spring? Could a light firing pin fall or short pin cause a different primer ignition? Especially possible if a "hard" metal primer is used or if a "mild" primer (pellet strength) is used.
    Any major difference in the amount of unburned powder evident in the two barrels?

4. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

the same person loaded all shell, i just put them in the box. the primer appears to be hit the same ,no lite hits .by the way i gave him shell from the box i was shooting.my gun back from krieghoff appx. 6 mo. ago. his gun in like new condition.both guns had clean bbls. after 25 shells

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I think it was his porting. Ported guns are louder than conventional barrels.
    Also that load is way under spec., actually off the chart. Hodgdon has set a min of 20.7gr of powder @ 1250fps. I couldn't even guess how fast his shells are going. Also that slow speed may have screwed with your timing. What speed are you usually shooting? Makes a big difference. Dave T.

6. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

#1 Intl clays is too slow for such a light load.

#2 STS are a bit large inside at the base taper. WAA12L, are those the grey 7/8 oz wad? They are marginal even with fast powders and a tighter shells like the AA.

You have ventured into the chamber dimension varience area where slight differences in chamber and bore diameter make the difference between a shooter and a pooper. If you measure your chamber or bore, you may find it bigger than the Brng.

I had similar experiences in 28's; new AAHS and old style wads. My Beretta was tighter in the chamber and bore and every round fired fine. My friends Rizz, no wait a Guerrini, pooped on every shot, even with my shells.

get red dot, Nitro 100, 700x, or regular clays (and maybe GUn club or AA hulls) and the problem should go away.

Let me know please

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Only thing I could suggest is to try the chronograph and pattern board. You may find an extremely dense center that if the bird is centered, smoke, just off center chips, more off center. lost. The chrono might, or might not show a significant difference in velocity. Other than that, I am out of thoughts.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

He was hitting the birds and you were not. His barrel is 2 inches shorter and ported which accounts for it sounding much louder than yours. PERCIEVED recoil would probably seem worse with his because of the louder blast and probably more muzzle flash as well. Actual recoil would be very close to the same as yours.

--- Chip King ---

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I had a similar thing happen years ago when I was loading SR 7625. Loud boom, no recoil, targets broke.

After the round an old trapshooter asked me if I used fed. primers. I normally did but I got a deal on 5000 Win.

According to him the powder was burning on its way down the barrel.

I switched back to Fed. with no more problems.

Just a thought I thought Id share.

Regards...Gerald

10. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

As Bruce Em says Clays I/l is too slow for such lite loads . Down here it is ADI AS50 and when I asked ADI for some info on lite loads for the kids I coach they sent me info on Clays . Clays IN/l was giving poofy sounding noises and not breaking targets very well and NOT burning all Powder in a Browning with Cheddite primers and Win AA Sl wads in old style AA cases . Changed powder and great success

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.