1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What guns does porting hurt value the most

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copper, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

Every time I have went to sell a shot gun the porting question comes up and kills interest for many if ported . How much do dealers of trap guns deduct normally if barrels have been professionally ported .

2. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Original Super Crown K-32, about 50%. Model 21 Winchester Trap, about 50%. Parker trap guns, about 75%. All others, who cares?

3. copper

copper Member

Well every trap gun I have ever sold is first question and not seen as good thing and I have sold maybe 12 over the past years and not the high middle road guns.

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

After market porting is considered altering of the gun. The standard is it's now worth 50% less than if it was all original. If the gun was normally ported then the gun wasn't altered and you wouldn't take the 50% hit. It's not all porting either, re-doing the gun, cutting the stock etc is all considered altering the original gun.

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have sold lots of trap guns in the northwest and nobody has ever expressed an opinion one way or the other for factory ported guns or barrels done professionally,now on here is a different story but I still find most people indifferent,I can't remember the last Browning I sold that was not ported.Jerry

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would not buy a factory ported Browning nor will I shoot next to one. They sound like a cannon

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

This, from all the same people who rushed out and had their guns ported, to the extent that some mfgrs made it standard. Just find something you like and take advantage of this hypocracy!

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Any gun worth more than $100

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I once had a guy offer me a gorgeous Model 12 Trap that was Pigeon Pro-Ported. Price was right but I said thanks but no thanks!!

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I have never nor will I ever pay to have a bbl ported,but I presently own a TMX and an MX 14L combo( all bbls. ported). Porting is not a deterrent when I pruchase a trap gun. By-the-way,Merlyn did not deduct for the porting of either one of these guns.

Steve

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ok. think what you want. You are entitled as you are all experienced shooters and gun buyer/sellers. But I actually like "Seitz" style first, and Pro-Port regular a close second. I would not hesitate in buying a gun that I wanted if it was ported.

My current gun is not, and I like that too.

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

I've had both and while I won't pay to have one ported I won't hesitate to buy one I like if it is ported. My real beef is with the folks who list their guns as "MINT" and or "PRISTINE" and the first sentence after that is that the barrels are ported. Since the gun they are trying to sell never had factory porting their entire ad is a sham.

--- Chip King ---

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

All of them. It just depends if the right buyer comes along, and even if they do not mind, they know they can get the gun for cheaper than the non-ported guns. It's the latest craze that just keeps on going. Jon

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

This is simple I just TIG those pesky holes and reblue!
    Joe

15. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'll not spend my money on porting. But I wouldn't reject a non-collectable gun simply because it's ported.
    Now even Perazzi is offering factory ported barrels.

I owned and shot both ported and non-ported barrels, and shot next to ported shotgun barrels, they don't bother me. What I don't like is next to a ported rifle barrel.

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yep Tigman46 it sure does. Any aftermarket work be it porting, stock work, barrel work (no matter how good) means that the entire gun is no longer MINT or PRISTINE so why advertise it that way.

Mint condition is an expression used in the description of pre-owned goods. Originally, the phrase comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in as it leaves the mint.[1] Over time, the term "mint" began to be used to describe many different items having excellent, like-new quality.

Pristine
    pris┬Ětine/'pris?ten/
    Adjective:
    In its original condition; unspoiled.
    Clean and fresh as if new; spotless.

--- Chip King ---

17. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Here on TS seems to be the only place shooters seem to give a crap. (sometimes lots of it-LOL) Thankfully many open minds also expressed opinions that were at least nuetral. I have a 2 BBL Mono Gun set, one bbl ported (Seitz type) and one bbl not ported. I can tell no difference in recoil or sound from one bbl to other. While I would not spend the money to port, I would not turn down a nice gun because it was ported. Who knows, I may get lucky and find a nice ported gun for sale by one of the Nay Sayers. I'll bet they would not offer a 50% discount just because it's ported. Marc

18. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Porting a gun does not devalue it 50% unless it's a very high end collectable and that's questionable at best. No doubt, some may wish they could talk an owner of $10,000 Perazzi into believing it's value has dropped by half because it has aftermarket porting, think again. In may cases the value is increased because many shooters see porting as an enhancement. But don't tell me my gun is worth less than a ported one, because I know better.

In the world of competitive anything, trap shooting included, serious competitiors are looking for anything that will help them gain one more mph, one tenth of second less, six inches higher or one more target. Function always wins over form, always.

Many of you may look at guns with porting, backboard barrels,long forcing cones, screw in chokes, PFS stocks and any other enhancements that aid comfort and performance as a waste of time and money; others look at the same gun and see it as a well tuned target breaking machine tailored for the job at had and well worth more money than a stocker.

You may be a very good shot, shooting a stock gun and wonder why sometimes you loose a target, is it fatigue, is it pattern, is it barel rise, just what is it.....

And yes, for some reason Brownings porting seems to considerably louder than others.

Surfer

19. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have never seen nor heard of cracking around the porting on barrels ,anyone else?Jerry

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Trapguns with factory porting,cutcombs,back bored etc.increases the value definitly. These are selling points. Have these procedures done to your gun & see what it cost you? Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ported gun barrels devalve or gun