1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What gun for the wife ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadvail, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadvail

leadvail Member

My wife just started shooting and is using a field pump . I'am thinking a entry level BT99 Micro for her would do better .Or should I go full size and get it fitted for her ? Any spouses or ladies with suggestions would be greatly appreciated .Thanks Bob

2. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

How big is your wife? Mine is 5'2"", 105 lbs. She uses a BT Golden Clays for Singles and handicap, and a XT for doubles. The XT has a custom stock to fit her. I do have a Browning Gold Ladies Sporting Clays that my wife used to use for sale if you are interested. Remove the x's from the email address if you want to contact me. Bob K

3. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

My wife has tried about 10 different guns this year and the one that fits her best is the Remington 1100. She just broke her first 25 in the handicap yesterday with the new gun! It has very little recoil and fits her perfectly.

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

1100. If small statured, recoil sensitive and not strong upper body strength -
    an LT-20 1100. Preferably an older, DuPont era, 1970s or 1980s gun. If newer, pattern to ensure it shoots straight.

Best shotgun in existence for 70% of the shooting population - novice or AA-27.

5. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Funny how I was writing as Plott Hound was posting simultaneously!

6. wadshot

wadshot TS Member

iF SHES PRETTY ILL GIVE YOU A BROWNING XT COMBO. IF NOT I GOT A OLD MOSSBURG I WOULD BE WILLING TO GIVE FOR HER IF SHES A GOOD COOK.

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I have a 30" XT which I love - I shoot singles, caps & doubles with it.

8. leadvail

leadvail Member

Shes pretty . All deals considered . Ha,Ha Bob S

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If she only wants to shoot HC and singles, then a TM-1 is really great. Not heavy, very well-balanced, and shoots great patterns. It's a break-open, so she might like it. I shoot one, and I have a friend (Mary) who is about your wife's size that also shoots one, and another friend, Liz, that shoots one. I know a lot of guys who like them, too.

10. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

My wife is a 5'6", 120 # senior citizen. She loves her 1100, can shoot it all day long. She's tried recoil operated autos and O/Us, and she'd quit if she had to shoot one of them.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My wife has only been shooting for about a year. I thought she'd like a nice 11-87 that was cutdown and fitted to her, she hated it, to mechanical, to many things moved when she shot it. She tried a friends BT99 and told me that's what she'd rather have. She loves it and is improving everytime. I had it fitted with a Gray-coil reduction unit, then had Briley tubes installed and had Briley lengthen the forcing cones. She's 60 years old,5'5" and about 120lb's and had never shot a gun until she started trap shooting last year.

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Get her a gun that does not shoot husbands.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

An 1100 TB would work very well.

My wife is 5 feet 8 inches and average weight. She broke her first target with an 1100 TB and loves it to pieces. No complaints about recoil. Be sure that you have a nice shooting jacket or vest for her and good hearing protection.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

leadvail

You might be on the right track with the BT-99 Micro. I would try to find a range that has a good selection of guns for rent. Let her try some of the more popular ones and see how they feel to her. See if you can network with your friends and let her try out some of theirs. Maybe a local gun shop will let her try one or two out. Whatever she tries, it MUST fit her well. Otherwise it will not be a good experience. The TM-1, as Devi had mentioned is also a great choice, if you can find a nice one. A little well done fitting can go a long way. Poor fitting can ruin it. I would have recommended the 1100 also. It seems to take some of the sting out of the recoil and is easy to get used to for a beginner. I have several guns available to me and the 1100 is one of the most pleasurable to shoot and my favorite, once you get past all of the Rube Goldberg stuff going on inside upon each firing.

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Two of my favorites are the Beretta 3901 RL and the BT99 Micro 30". Borrow one at a local range and you will see why. If you are near Omaha, I will let you use one of mine. IMHO Omaha

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I just skipped to the end of the whole thread. 1100 is the answer. End. Out. Jake

17. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

"Rube Goldberg" stuff going on inside an 1100????

I never noticed. Just look for the target, call pull, look at the target, shoot and voila, the bird is smoked and the action is opened for you.

Wanna hear Rube Goldberg stuff happening inside a firearm? Shoot an AR-15 with the stock contacting part of a set of earphones - every shot sounds like

"BOING" with a mushy sound because of the spring and buffer inside the stock

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Started with a 1100 Trap for my wife (she's a lefty), quickly developed a flinch so we added the Timney release trigger which she took to like a duck to water.

After a few trials with a breakdown type gun, we have settled for a Beretta Silver Pigeon, Greg Hissem did the stock work and Allem did the release trigger. She likes it and shoots it well.

Curt _ Delaware

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anything but a jamomatic or pump. The Perazzi TM-1 that someone recommended is a great choice. Many women have face recoil issues so pick something you can add a soft comb-Monte Carlo preferred!!

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

BT99 Plus Micro if you can find one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.