Trapshooters Forum banner

what gun for daughter ?

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Caesar girl pa 
#1 ·
My daughter 22, likes to go shooting trap and sporting clays with me but i dont have a gun that really is a good match. Currently shes shooting my 20 gauge a5 with fixed ic barrel. I would like to get a different gun it has to be youth since shes small. Either o/u or auto no pumps and probably 20 gauge.what would you suggest ?

#4 ·
When my son was young I picked up a Beretta 390 youth-extended in 20 gauge. It has several spacers and pads that gives you a LOP adjustability of over two inches.

It has a 26" barrel - which is much nicer than most of the 22 or 24 inch youth guns.

When he grew up we just added the extenders and now it is a great field gun for him.

#6 ·
I am in the process of finding a gun for my 14 year old daughter. She is small in stature and currently using a BT-99 micro but this gun is hurting her. I am looking at a Beretta A400 Excel 12g (semi-auto) for her. They come in 28, 30, 32 in barrels and have an optional reduced length stock and optional Kick off (recoil reduction system). New gun runs around 1600.00.

I have another daughter that shoots trap, age 16, tall and thin. She has been shooting a Beretta A391 Teknys Gold target 12g for two years. I have nothing but good things to say about this gun. Very soft shooting gun also. Comes with 30" barrel, adjustable comb stock with recoil reduction system, two interchangeable ribs (50/50 & 70/30), and full range of chokes. These are a little harder to find but you may be able to find one. I paid 1800 for a new one two years ago.

I know you were looking 20g but both these 12g are soft shooters. I think either of these shotguns would a good choice for a small stature person.

I too would be interested in hearing other suggestions for this thread. While I think the Beretta would be a good fit for my daughter, she likes O/U. So I haven't sold her on the semi yet.

#7 ·
Do you reload? Recoil sensitivity is about gun fit and shell selection. I reload 3/4 oz 12 gauge shells that recoil like a 28 gauge. Get a gun that has the ability to be fitted to her, with the correct LOP, and is light enough that she can hold it up without leaning back, but heavy enough to absorb recoil. This is where light weight 20 gauge guns cause problems. Recoil is produced by the weight of the gun, and the weight and velocity of the shell payload. Recoil is more easily absorbed by large body mass. If she is serious about trap shooting, have her gain 100 pounds. :) Mark

#8 ·
I bought a browning citori for my now 13 year old daughter, LOP was a little long for her, so I cut an inch off the stock and it fits her good, I went with this gun because it is a 12 gauge with tube sets for all gauges and only 28 inch barrels and only paid $1450.00 found on gunbroker, she shoots it well and loves it, she is also small.................Joe

#9 ·
Visit the site above (Join if you are not already a member.) then scroll down to the "Women Shotgun Shooters" forum. When there, scroll down to my thread titled, "Why shotguns fit or do not fit women, girls and youths."

You will find some useful information and suggestions about choosing a gun for a female.

Rollin (author of "Stock Fitter's Bible")

#10 ·
Well you are going to get several answers But, you said both trap an sporting so that rules out a single barrel for trap doubles and sporting. A good place to start is the Beretta autos like the 391. Another good choice is the Super x 3 Win. or Remington competition. If money is an object you can find a good used 1100 trap gun for a good price. If you have your heart set on an O/U The Berettas are nice light weight guns. My advice is let her try some for herself and see what she likes.

#16 ·
My wife is 5'4 110lbs and she uses a Benelli M2 field Compact 12 gauge, works alright for her. With the Benelli Comfortech stock and a shooting vest, she can pretty much shoot whole day without tiring because the M2 is fairly light.

The only items I would recommend for a small sized female shooter on the shotgun, would be an extended bolt release and an extended bolt handle. It makes it easier for them to manipulate the semi-auto mechanisms. I put on Dave's Metalworks Speedbar on mine and it works well for my wife.

#17 ·
Okie
we have had a number of young athletes use the12 ga 1100 skeet grade as a start with 7\8 loads, either factory(Noblesport or Fiocci) or reloaded.
Very low recoil in the 12 and they break all kinds of targets. A can of CLP is your friend with either the beretta or the Rem autos to keep them cycling on a 200 bird day.
But the best thing I have run into is the Wenig Ladies new American stock. A great tool to get the eye in the right place and have the smaller grip radius many women appreciate. It requires some fitting and has extra wood to get your final shape in the comb and grip, but works very well.
If you are near Wenig I highly recommend a visit to have them fit it.
I believe they will head the same stock up to a beretta. We were able to cut down the stock on the rem to 13 inch inc a thin kickeze pad.
Either gun choice will be a great place to start.
If she loves the sport she may move to an OU but the auto will get you thru the first year or more to see if she really likes it.
Both have good resale if you decide to go to something different.
Have Fun

#18 ·
My daughter got into trap with me But My O/U & 870 ha to muck Kick even with
1oz loads. She's 5'-8" 135 lbs and strong but guns brused Her Shoulder etc.
Got Her a Benelli Super Sport 11 and she loves it.
Light recoil, easy clean and "pretty". Pricy but worth every penny.
I hate autos but love this one.

#19 ·
My older daughter is almost 16 and is 5'1", ~115#. I bought her a Beretta 3901RL five years ago and didn't look back. Started her with 7/8oz hand loads, then up to 1oz. She now is shooing whatever shells are in the bag with no issues. Usually either 1oz Rio's @ 1210, or GC's 1oz or 1 1/8oz depending on what I found cheapest. My 12 year old daughter is the same height but a good 20# lighter and can shoot the same gun without any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.