1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what gun for an 11 year old to target shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by romie, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

I have a friend that has a boy that is eleven years old and wants to shoot targets trap or sporting clays.I thought a 391 with a shortened stock.any Ideas
    I think he is adverage size 11 year old.
    MOnty

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A 3901 youth model would be my guess.

ec90t

3. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Monty
    You may want to consider a Remington 1100 with an adjustable stock (Jack West makes a nice one) or a youth stock and just build up the comb with moelskin. That way the youngen can shoot full up 1oz loads and can easily switch over to 1 1/8 oz loads. With a Hasting barrel screw n chokes are also an option that would let him shoot all the clay target games.

Good Shooting

Gavin

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I agree with ec90t, 3901 youth 12 gauge. My 10 year old Brandon, shoots a Walmart 390 with a cole stock that Tron fitted to him. 1oz loads and he's good to go.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

5. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

Monty,
    My son started shooting trap at about 11 and used a 391 12 guage 26" field gun with a reduced length stock. That seem to work pretty well until he started shooting a lot a year later and then I purchased a reduced length 391 30" trap gun, now he out shoots me all the time. I think a 12 guage 391 or Remington 1100 would be a good choice.

Doug

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There are some personal differences here too. I have an 11 yr old grandson that can't mount a model 62 Winchester .22 for starting with shot shells. He needs support to shoot it. On the other hand, there's an 11 yr. old in our club that shoots a Browning XT O/U, has run 100 in short caps and singles, and will humiliate most of us duffers. Your friend's son will likely fit in between those extremes somewhere and, were it me, I'd be looking at the youth model autos also but some test driving at the range just might be quite an eye opener; a couple of years wait could/may be in order or clearly not if he's big for his age....Bob Dodd

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If your 11 year old weighs over 75 lbs, he is good to go. Find a gun that will fit. Several gunmakers make short stocked guns. Beretta makes a dandy trap gun for young shooters. Remmy makes or has made their 1100 with a short stock in the LT 20 ga. If you buy a full size gun and butcher it, it probably won't fit him and will be worth little on the resale end.

DO NOT buy a youth model 870 20 ga. They are BRUTAL and will likely make him want to stay home and play videos.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

a few years ago i lost a shotoff to a 10 or 11 year old boy. his father purchased a used bt99, he shortened the stock and he cut the remaining wood in 1/8 incredments, so as the kid grew, he just added the wood spacer to the gun. he had the barrel shortened to 26 or 28 inches and had a screw in choke added. he did not want the child to fumble around with the shells with a semi automatic etc. he said all the kid had to do was release the lever and put the shell into the gun and let the shells eject after pulling the trigger.. when my grandson is old enough, i plan to do the same thing. suggest keep it as simple as possible for the child. should result in more targets broken, as well as possible safety issues for the child, as well as the shooters on the squad.
    steve balistreri

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My kid, all 70lbs. and 10.5 years old started with a K-80 in 30"O/U. Stock was shortened considerably and he broke his first 25 straight 2 1/2 weeks later. It's surprising how quickly kids adapt to a heavier gun and the reduced recoil matters!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.