1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what grit sand paper

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by letts, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letts

letts TS Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Fitted my first recoil pad using circular sander with 100 grit sand paper, thought it was to aggressive. What grit do you guys use?

I also found it hard to control.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    I've only done one but i used 220 grit on a belt sander to get it real close. Then i used WD-40 with an old 220 worn down to nothing belt on the belt sander and it slicked the pads sides up like new. I then finish sanded it by hand with 800 grit wet down with WD-40.

A friend had told me about the WD-40. It works although the guys who do it for a living may use something better.
  3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Letts, I had a local shooter do a couple of my guns on his upright belt sander with a hanging jig just for recoil pads. If memory serves he used a pretty rought belt 100 or 120 and just left it. Within a couple of weeks I could not see the sanding marks on the sides of the Kick-ezz pads. If you don't like the way yours looks after the 100 grit, just sand it abit by hand with some 150 then 180 or 220 to work it down. I would not go crazy with it. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.