1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What grade is this English blank?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Eric Mirosavich, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

What grade is this English inlet?

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were. Seeing as different stock makers grade wood differently, what grade would this stock most likely be?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would not agree--= this is maybe an A grade- well below AA and AAA fancy

It is light years from exhibition

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

For once I agree with Gene . The word exhibition I find is used very loosely.Or either some have higher standards.

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm far from an expert, but in my mind it is not all that great. Although I have not done anything with them yet, I think two blanks I bought from Gordy are much nicer.

5. g7777777

Pocatello-dont confuse apples with truffles

English walnut is more expensive by far than america walnut and old world turkish walnut a huge ling above that

somewhere in between new world english and american is claro

For the money claro can be a very very good buy if you want color and grain

regards

Gene

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

By far that is no fancy grade ... now I aint saying its not pretty but by far is no fancy grade of wood ... its pretty and will look good once its finished but it aint no real expensive fancy grade.

7. g7777777

Gordy I have watched you mislead people on here but until recently I didnt realize you were actually selling them wood

Gordy I was not going to say this but a flat saw is the worst cut( I saw you posted above that it was the best cut)--- any old piece of wood will have some grain showing flat sawed

Also- cutting trees into pieces with chain saws rather than a saw mill wastes a lot of wood

I personally would not buy this piece of wood- as others have said above- for any stock because the labor is all the same so you might as well go with a higher grade of wood

I didnt comment on your thread on that dead tree you cut down - calling in Japanese walnut and those cross cuts- those would not even be suited for gunstocks- that was meerly two tress growing together- there would be no way to lay that out in a grip area to get strength

As far as what you call vault wood--- someone is deluding themselves-- I have much better wood in my basement

Gordy you might think American is good walnut because you have and sell that but we all know that while it may be good- its at the bottom of the walnut ladder

The fact that you dont have high grade turkish or high grade english walnut is because the stuff is expensive- not because it isnt good

Gene

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gene, Please show us some pictures. I love pictures of good wood. If I could figure out how to post, I might show some of mine. Jake

9. g7777777

No Gordy you wouldnt own a piece of Turkish because it is expensive-

Dont try to charge turkish prices for American Walnut

That blank you show- isnt that good- not full figure(maybe 70 percent)- it has white wood- --- then it is too dark at the back --and doesnt straighten out in the grip area-- looks like there are voids and my guess is the other side doesnt look the same--there are a "million one sided blanks" out there-- if this is the best blank you own-- you really dont have any exhibition wood- also- you can cut blanks with chain saws all you want- just keep wasting that wood and telling people what a professional you are

"Most pieces of Turkish are steamed" --- or really?????? apparently the rest of the world doesnt know that

Yes I can tell you used a chainsaw --

Cutting wood in bulk for big gun companies - if you in fact did that - means nothing - unless you want plain wood

If you dont post something on your Website- yes I dont know it exists

I have seen you post things as exhibition or high exhibition ( never heard of such a thing) that I would call standard grades

So yes -- many have called you to task but when you try to push this wood off as a great piece of wood and then attack me for cautioning potential buyers- you are way out of line

Gordy I have been around guns all my life and probably had 5000 "best" guns in my hand

I know American walnut and I know what it is worth

there is a lot of great American walnut out there - and very reasonably priced- dont try to confuse it with the more valuable types of walnut

Gene

10. g7777777

Gordy- you keep stepping in it

Black Walnut is Black Walnut-- some may be denser than others-- but it doesnt always matter what section of the country it is from-- but it is still black walnut

Keep telling people your Black Walnut is as good as English or Turkish - some of them have apparently believed you

And that blank you posted above is still not full figure, still has white wood- still is not layed out correctly- and I still bet the other side isnt the same as this side- and it still has voids and is too dark in the butt

Gene

11. g7777777

Flawless? you have to be shi**** me-- only if you are blind

Gene

12. g7777777

The other side doesnt match and is at best 30-40 percent figured-- just what I thought

this second side is at best a A grade blank not even AA-- and the grip area is layed out as poorly as possible

I dont think you can make this into a stock that wouldnt break

This is a horrible example of how to cut and lay out a gunstock sir

Gene

13. g7777777

Am I being trolled? this guy cant be serious- he must be planning on removing all his posts and pictures

If anyone else sees these pictures -- he is history selling wood - isnt he?

There is no way anyone can believe Gordy is lucid---

Am I being trolled?

Gene

14. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Every Blank that the wood whore posts is exhibition grade........jeez,give it a rest.

You can't be serious.

Dan

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Gene-o has hit the nail on the head again.

16. ole

ole TS Member

Nice straight grain in the wrist. Rest of it about average. In my opinion, about a $400 blank. Gordy, whoever the hell you are, if you want to argue with me, forget it. Got no experience at all. Never seen an exhibition blank. Wouldn't presume to argue with an "expert." All Turkish and Russian "steamed?" My happy ass. Good luck getting all these rubes to buy that.

17. ole

ole TS Member

Not even good grain in the wrist, after re-visiting the photos. Knot holes everywhere one doesn't want the. A $200 blank, IMHO

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I was trying to do the math for laying out "over a million" blanks in 30 years to see how many blanks someone would be doing each day. But I can't quite do it in my head. Anyone help? Jake

19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

20. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Joe - he probably worked seven days a week. If so, that would be 91 blanks a day. Wow, that chain saw is fast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.