1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What GPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 007, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007

007 Member

I am looking at a new hand held GPS for Hunting and I don't know which one to buy. I am looking to spend about $200.00. It must also be a Garmin. Any GPS experts out there?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

take your pick

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/

3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

My buddy had a little blue Garmin hand held but I not sure what model it was but it got us out of some places we wouldn't have never got out of with out it.
    ITs funny how things change after you get in to a hunting spot and stay there for hours and then try and find your way out.

I not sure what the model is that he has but I do know he pick it up at a wal-mart and I think it was under $200 bucks. He even used it on trip driving.

I will try and lok and see if I can find out the model and post it for you.
    Sorry they don't make the model my buddy has but it look just about like the new eTrex model that out now.

4. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello 007,

The 1490T model that I have has a pedestrian mode if you want to
    carry it with you. It has a 2 hr battery life when not plugged into
    a power source.

You won't be able to leave it on for days at a time if you are out
    in the woods, you can find your vehicle or camp, if you stay within
    the two hrs of battery life.

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Active Member

Hwy3 is right about the battery life.......... 2 hours top's!

I remember we had to save the tracking and change batterys just about every 2 hours. That's the bad thing about a hand model.

6. dward

dward Member

Etrex Legend HCX. Battery lasts about 27 hours. I've got one and a couple Etrex HCX (yellow) The basic yellow unit does'nt take a card and batteries last about 17 hours. The Legend you can find at Amazon for about $180 and the basic unit goes for about $125.

Garmin has a bunch of new models that I don't know anything about........but I'd recommend a Garmin and whatever you get, make sure it has a high sensitivity receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.