1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Goes Around !!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Robert Long, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Long

Robert Long Member

Adios Amigos

Do you remember when Puerto Rico was raising heck about the US Navy using that nothing little island just off the coast of Puerto Rico for bombing practices, which the Navy had used for the past 75 years?

Demonstrations were held; Hollywood left wingers, Al Sharpton, and his fellow demagogues went down there to demonstrate to get the Navy out?

I am sure it infuriated you just as it did me at the time. Well, here is our revenge. Always be careful what you ask for, you just may get it!

One of the many headaches that the U.S. Has had was the Puerto Rican island of Vieques. In the waning years of the Clinton Administration protesters demand that the US Navy abandon bombing and naval gunfire exercises that had taken place on the largely uninhabited island for nearly seventy years.

In 2002, the bombing exercises were transferred to an Air Force bombing range in central Florida not far from Jacksonville and Pensacola Naval Air Stations. In January, many of the protesters were back in Puerto Rico, celebrating the final bombing exercise on Vieques and waved Puerto Rican flags and placards that read "U. S. Navy, get out of Puerto Rico."

The following February,

Rumsfeld announced that the U. S. Navy would close the Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puerto Rico in 2004, eliminating 1200 civilian jobs as well as 700 military positions. This naval facility is estimated to have put nearly $300 million annually into the loca l economy.

The next day a stunned Governor Sila Calderon, held a news conference in San Juan protesting the base closure as a serious blow to the Commonwealth's fragile economy. The governor stated that "The people of Puerto Rico don't now or never did have an interest in closing the Vieques bombing range or the Roosevelt Roads naval base. We are interested in both staying in Puerto Rico.

When asked, the Commander-in-Chief, Western Atlantic Command, said, "Without Vieques, I see no further need for the facility at Roosevelt Roads. None."

So, Yankee go home? Fine. But we'll take our DOLLARS with us. Hasta la vista, baby!

On February 21, the Secretary of Defense also announced that starting this year, the U.S. European Command would begin moving most, if not all, of its active combat and support units from bases in Germany to others being established in Poland, The Czech Republic, Hungary and Turkey to "better position them for rapid deployment to likely hot spots in those parts of the world."

Immediately the business and government leaders in the German states of Hesse, Rinelandand Wurttemburg, protested the loss of nearly $6 billion US revenue each year from the bases and manpower to be displaced. A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry speculated that the move may be "what the Americans call 'payback' for the actions of this government in opposing Military action in Iraq."

"Does anyone know the German translation for: "Hasta la vista, baby?" I think "Aufwiedersehen, linesmen" is a good translation.

Oh, isn't it nice to see a government with guts and a good memory???

Also, here are some statistics and conclusions about a different subject.

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of 2,112 deaths, when this was written) that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington D. C. Is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. (...and that was while handguns were outlawed!!)

That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in the U. S. Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, than you are in Iraq.

PASS THIS ON 'cuz you can be sure that CNN, NBC, ABC and CBS won't!
    Conclusion: Just maybe the U.S. Should pull

Out of Washington, D.C. !!!!

Rob

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The firearm death rate in Washington D. C. Is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. (...and that was while handguns were outlawed!!)

Nonsense. And this nonsense is repeated over and over, and people still don't get it.

Do the math.

The firearm death rate in Washington D. C. Is 80.6 per 100,000 PER YEAR. With a population just under 500,000, that works out to a total of about 400 firearm deaths PER YEAR in the population of 500,000 in the city (not sure I even believe that number.)

The 2112 deaths in Iraq over 22 months among 160,000 soldiers, if you do the maht, works out to a rate of 720 deaths per 100,000 PER YEAR. Or in terms of a population the size of DC it would equate to 3,600 in Iraq, compared to 400 in DC.

Not even comparable.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

So you have better than half the chance of geting killed in civilized D.C. than in Iraq?

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Thanks timb99. I can now feel almpost 50% safer in DC than in a frickin war zone.

5. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Well, I believe the Puertorican people where hoping to pressure the gov. of the U.S. into sumitting them into statehood, like alaska and Hawawii. I served with many of them and some of those gave their life for this country. If they are good enough to be drafted and die then they should be citizens. I didn't assocciate with them,for language and racial barriers, even though their blood is red...Mike

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Mike, the people of Puerto Rico have voted against statehood at least 3 times in my lifetime.

Buz

7. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Robert Long says "Isn't it nice to see a government with guts and a good memory?" Do any of you think Scary Kerry or Gore the bore or Osama Hussein Obama or the Hillerybilly would have the guts to do this? I hope GW Bush was behind this.I believe he would.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    timb99, so.... you're saying Congress is more dangerous than the Taliban?

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Math geniuses, you guys ain't....

3600 vs. 400 works out to a 9 to 1 ratio. Not 50% More like 11%

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just goes to show you, Timb99, how people can misuse/scew statistics. Politicians and Lawyers...

I do like the lessons that were taught by the closings of the bases.

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

With the deployment techniques available today, we should consider closing many more of these dollar drains. If our money was withdrawn from the economies of many of these foreign governments, who could support them? Bin Laden? They fail to support us, time to pull out!

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.