1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What game/predators do you hunt.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brayburn, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brayburn

Brayburn TS Member

What game/predators do you hunt and where do you go hunting. Where would you choose to hunt if you wanted book some woodcock and snipe shooting. What type of grouse can you hunt and where. It would be interesting to read any replys about what type of game and predators are hunted in the different states, where would look to book a few days walked up pheasant shooting over pointers or setters. As far as cost is concerned which parts of the states in general terms would show a better value for your dollar for paid hunting day, what would be a rough price range for a guide to take someone out for a turkey hunt. How much fox and coyote hunting is done with shotguns. Where and at what time of year would you look to find and book a varied and good value 4 or 5 week hunting break. Thanks in advance for your input. Philip.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Big game: Deer and bear. I've not been able to get time off for elk season for a long time.

Small game: Squirrels and rabbits.

Upland: Turkey, pheasants, grouse and quail. Want to try chukar, but have not gotten around to it.

Waterfowl: Never tried it.

Varmints: Sage rats (mainly Belding and Richardson ground squirrels), Gray Diggers (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_ground_squirrel">California Ground Squirrels), Rockchucks (Yellow Bellied Marmots), jackrabbits, crows, and other pests.

Predators: Coyotes, and cougar. Mainly coyotes.

Furbearers: Coyotes, bobcats, beaver. (Have not hunted bobcats and beaver as I let my furbearer license lapse.)

-------------

Since you specifically asked about grouse, we have several kinds. Some are protected. I've only hunted Blue and Ruffed. Grouse hunting is not easy, as the birds are not abundant. I used to walk some of the forests with a shotgun to hunt grouse, but since my time for hunting has been reduced, I've been taking a rimfire with me during deer season, because the regulations now say forest grouse can be hunted with "any rimfire firearm". Gun of choice lately has been a suppressed handgun or rifle carried in addition to my deer gun.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/waterfowl/

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/upland_bird/index.asp

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/upland_bird/docs/oregon_game_bird_regs.pdf

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/#big_game_regs

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/docs/2013_big_game_regs.pdf

(Turkey and edible Silver Gray squirrels are found in the Big Game regs.)

Western Oregon deer and elk have open areas and tags are readily available. Western Oregon deer are mainly Blacktails, but some Columbia Whitetails are here too. In most cases the latter are protected, but there are a couple of units they can be hunted in.

Eastern Oregon deer and elk are restricted and tags are rationed, especially to out of staters. Most deer in eastern Oregon are the big Mule Deer.

No rationing for fall bear. Spring bear is rationed.

Some animals are considered destructive pests, like rabbits and coyotes. These can be hunted year 'round. Same for varmints. However, some animals traditionally thought of as varmints are listed as furbearers and have seasons, like raccoons.

Licenses, fees, and non-resident info.

Note that non-residents are required to have a hunters safety license or certificate from their home state.

Weekly Oregon hunting and fishing reports

Maps

Fox hunting - Fox are a furbearer, and have a very limited season in the winter. I've only seen a handful of foxes here.

Coyotes - I do about 50/50 hunting them with a rifle or shotgun in western Oregon. Mostly with a rifle in eastern Oregon.

3. Brayburn

Brayburn TS Member

Thanks Brian. I just looked up some details about ruffed grouse shooting and came across the Pineridge Grouse Camp MN though i didn't find the cost per day price etc. What would be a "ball park idea" of the cost per day for the different types of hunting trips with sleeping and meals included for the smaller types of game with shotguns. Thanks again Philip.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Coyotes and gophers (Richardson Ground Squirrels)...I quit big game 15 years ago because of my bad back. Still keep a couple big game rifles just in case.

Ron Burr

5. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Deer and grouse. Have never paid to hunt anything. Getting so everyone posts their land and leases it though. When I dont have a free place to hunt anymore I will quit. I Can still fish.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Philip, I dunno the costs because I don't hire guides or outfitters, and I have not hunted on private game farms or preserves. The only fee hunting I've done is to purchase pheasant tags specifically for a couple of the state game management areas.

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Crows, eastern Pa. It's a great time and no competition. 295 so far this year!

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Elk and Mule Deer every year. Antelope when I draw a tag. I've carried a wolf tag every year they have been available but have not seen one yet. I've been applying the past few years for Rocky Mountain Bighorn but it's a very tough draw. I shot my once per lifetime moose back in '89. For birds this year I shot lots of ducks, a few geese and pheasants, and went out a couple of times for ruffed and sharptail grouse but didn't get any. Dog training for retriever field trials and hunt tests doesn't leave much time to hunt varmints.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Whitetails, turkeys, yotes, turtles and snakes

The wife and I sit in the cabana every night and when it is warm enough we wear out the turtles and snakes that swim in the pond, good little pop up targets

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the op envisions hunting in the US as a matter of going to some preserve with a lodge and paying $xxx per day to 'hunt'. Those facilities do exist but for the most part the typical american hunter does not go to preserves but he does spend money on things like food and gas and sometimes motels. Land access is variable, in the west there are a lot of public lands that are open for hunting and as you travel east more of the land is privately owned and you need permission to hunt on it. Sometimes there will be a 'tresspass fee' associated with that.

For a guy coming in from out of the country it would be good to hire a guide service for what ever you intend to hunt. I'm sure there are additional legalities that we don't face as US citizens.

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I like to hunt coyotes, mule deer, prarie dogs. Not much upland game here because of the drought. We're getting more pigs all the time, but we're trying to trap them. Have set up some bait places, but that gets expensive. Lots of geese here this winter. Charlie

12. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Gators and wild hogs.... deer cant fight back.

EdH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content

pineridge grouse camp