1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What fixed choke is right for singles and Handicap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ML, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ML

ML Member

I have and older TM1 with a .042 choke. Thinking about opening it up a little.
    What would be the best size for shooting Singles and Handicaps? Thinking of opening it to around .030. I value posters opinion, what would be best. Fellows please give me your imput.

Thanks in Advance

M.L.
    Oklahoma

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you plan on keeping the gun, do whatever you think is best for you.

If there is the slightest chance that you'll sell the gun on down the road, you'll take a big hit on resale value.

ss

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Let's survey this thread as well, shall we? Let's use the same criteria as we did for the 1oz or 11/8oz shot used from the 16 yard line question. Please answer the following questions ONLY:

1) Choke used for shooting 16 yard targets? (Measured in thousands if possible))

2) Average score over your last 1000 registered targets?

3) Total number of registered targets shot? (Approximately)

4) Total number years shooting registered trap?

Let's see if we can draw some direct, hard evidence as to which choke is more effective over the long run.

Here's mine:

1) I shoot a .035" choke for 16 yard targets

2) My singles average is .976% over the last 1000 registered shingle.

3) I have approximately 150,000 registered targets shot.

4) I have been shooting registered targets for 35 years.

Hopefully, the conclusions to this survey will tell the story in facts, not personal conjecture.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Its just my opinion but you already have the right choke for singles and handicap. To open up that choke would ruin the barrel. IMO. Wayne

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I would also be very curious as per Dan's survey and questions to you before I would respond! I also agree about hurting the value unless done right by one of the top barrel men! If you have hopes or drive to become a good all around very good shooter, (27 yd line goal) I would not go down to .030! You would definitely hurt the value of the gun to some guys if you go down that far! Anyway, where are you on your career and where do you plan to get to?! Tom Rhoads

6. G-12

G-12 TS Member

M.L. why not consider getting another TM1 barrel with choke tubes and keeping the original barrel stock? Ben

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere...new TrapshooterUSA magazine...that Stu Wright? or a gunsmith named Orre? said that about 33 - 35 thousandths was the perfect choke for all trap games. Perhaps this might be worth considering. Just offering this info. Regards, Ed

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Why not look at the All Americans averages that shoot full choke. They will tell you what they shoot, it's not a big secret.

Every new shooter tries to re-invent the wheel. If you feel your tight for singles shoot 8's,
    Learn to center targets.

9. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

For both? what yrd line are you on? My best guess....30-32. I went to a .015 for singles last year, Worked very well. I shoot from the 27yd line and for that I use .034. I shot singles for many years with my .034 and never did any better than a 97ave. Shot my bunker gun one day for kicks with a .015 and ran the next 748 targets. Change is not always bad! Good luck.......

Aaron Holguin

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

ML a lot depends on who is doing the choke opening, if it were me I would send it to Tom Wilkenson and tell him what you want to accomplish as far as hdcp and sgls, I think you will end up with a .035 choke in TM-1, as the bore on them is about .724 the much later Perazzis is .740

My TM-1 of years ago was .044 full choke and I used it on 16s and Hdcp, I never touched the choke. It was also a .724 bore.

Most factory Seitz guns are near .035 and some of the best Ljutics are .035 which is .740 bore and .705 choke but they have chokes of .700-.705-.710 thru their .740 bore. w/fixed chokes and their choke tubes come in these dimensions.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Motowheelguy. How did you change chokes? New tubes? different bbls? Who did the .015?

>.030 to <.034 is (IS) adequate for handicap. Tom Seitz was a fanatic on .735/.033

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You guys are talking about inches, most targets are missed by feet.

13. ML

ML Member

I would like to thank each and everyone that has replied to my thread. I shot trap for several years when I was younger but had to quit for about 25 years. Before I quit shooting I was very successful and won my fair share. Made it to the 25 yard line before the advent of voice releases. My last 500 bird marathon I shot 497 but that was when I was young. I shot this old TM1 like a rifle back in those days. The .042 choke would shoot an 18 inch pattern at 40 yards. I could handle it when I was young but not now. I also have a Wilkinson choked TM1 with a .034 choke and I still miss. I was thinking that a more open choke might help me break more targets. I would like to shoot as well as I did when I was young. I will leave the old TM1 alone and get a trapgun that has choke tubes. Maybe after trying several tubes I will find the proper tube.
    I hope you fellows continue to post on this thread as I enjoy the words of Wisdom.

Regards

M.L.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

ML, I am a firm believer in not messing with a choke (or barrel for that matter) that gives good results.

That being said, if you are unhappy with the results you are getting and are going to make a change, then experts like Phil Kiner and other top dawgs believe the best all around choke for singles ans 27 yard handicap is in the .032" to .034" range. Bear in mind they are talking about Perazzi or Krieghoff factory chokes or Wilkinson, Allor or Eyster chokes/barrels, otherwise that dimension goes out the window.

Have you patterned your gun to see what you are actually getting?

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is your gun ML so make it shoot how you want. I wouldn't go to 0.030" of constriction though, 0.035" would be about right with todays ammo.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Any choke is right for singles and handicap, as long as it's full.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If your a quick shooter Wilkinson would make you a .025 tube for singles and a .035 for handicap. If your not that quick, leave the full choke alone and apply all your brain power to being on the target when you trip the trigger.

Keep it simple.

18. 1DIRT

1DIRT Member

Most targets are missed by 8 inches, the 8 inches between your ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.