1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What events does your club hold?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by doublebird, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doublebird

doublebird Member

I was woundering what type of events your clubs hold for trap shooters? I am working the the board of directors at my club to promote our trap shooting. We currently only have a fall and winter leagueon thursday nights and open practice every tuesday night and sunday. We have a loyal group of trap members but would like to attract new shooters. My club mainly is only promoting its skeet and not trap. What do you guys suggest. I would like to know what type of events your guys like to shoot for fun, for competition, and for money.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to the responses.

DoubleBird

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Naperville offers three leagues - singles, doubles and wobble - 8 weeks each; one night multi yardage handicap shoot; one night turkey shoot; Community Open House; Thursday Night weekly "dove" and three ATA target-only events to register birds... we consistently structure the schedule from year to year.

PM any questions and with best regards,

Jay

3. doublebird

doublebird Member

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the response. All those events sound great. Id like to start a doubles league. Double are a ton of fun. Im thinking that payouts and prizes are the way to get new people interested. We have been working non stop to get our pat traps to throw perfect targets and it showing.

4. ctreay

ctreay Member

If you have the room look at sporting clays, if not 5 stand requires a little less room but you need a hunter type clintel for it to go.

ctreay

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Does not have to be registered or a league to get people interested.

An interesting fun shoot this past summer at Valleyfield (Quebec).

Five man team, 50 target singles event. Women and kids were given 5 targets. Ammo and lunch was included in the cost of the shoot.

Club shooters were asked to go into the community and invite shooters. Went after the hunting crowd.

90 shooters in attendance. The practice field got a good workout throughout the day as a number of new shooters given trap a try for the first time. Skeet and the 5-stand was also open. A huge number of hunting guns seen. Nice awards...

Same club just completed a two man team 200 Trap Target Saturday league @ 16 Yards. Targets could only be shot in October. No more than 100 targets on any one day. Awards were presented on 29 October.

--------------------------

Attended another trap fun shoot at another club in Quebec this year. Singles, 50 targets. Lewis class. Again, shells included in the price of the shoot. A two field club. The wife and I had to wait two hours before we could shoot because they had so many shooters. A first time visit to the club. Could not believe the number of shooters. A large number of hunters, many awards given out. Hot dogs and fries for lunch. Dollar each. Nice they kept the price down.

If you keep it simple, give good value and get the word out to the local community, the interest is their...

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

We have 16s or caps during the winter and always doubles in early spring. We charge $5.00 fee first signup shoot + $3.00 per round of 25 + $1.00 purse or $7.00 for your 50 targets. 250 targets for money payout, may shoot as many as you like all lower scores out as higer scores posted. $5.00 and $1.00 goes into payout kitty. Pay out is first, second highest score - middle two scores and last two lowest scores. All monies returned to shooters with turkey dinner at end of league paid for by club.

7. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

No events.

Nobody wants to volunteer to work them.

Mike K

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Mike... guys who shoot the events work them while not shooting...

Jay

9. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"Mike... guys who shoot the events work them while not shooting..."</I>

Not at this club!

They want to show up, shoot and then hit the bar!

Mike K

10. doublebird

doublebird Member

That seems to be the mindset of our older shooters also. Show up, shoot, go home. We truly have a nice club. Its just ignores the trap game due to little support from shooters. Our skeet shooters will help out anytime its needed. I like all the ideas you guys gave me. Im definately going to get ahold of MGC and talk with those guys. In the 2012 season im going to focus on holding non registered shoots and getting the support of our current members. By 2013 i would like to be holding ata shoots and monthly registered targets. This wont be an overnight adventure but i think it can be done.

Thanks again.

DoubleBird

11. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

We try to do one "special" event / month

Jan - New years day shoot
    Feb - Valentine's shoot
    March 105 shoot (singles, caps, doubles)
    April GOAL Cup
    May - Registered bird Marathons
    JUne - Father's day shoot
    July - Trap/skeet combo shoot
    August - Shoot in conjunction with our Pig Roast
    Sept - Field Day, 105 shoot
    Oct - Inter-club shoot, Balls of Steel
    NOv - Turkey Shoot
    DEC - month off.

All above are open to all and sundry.

We have a dedicated crew, and get it done.

12. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Thursday evening and second Sunday afternoon, Whoopeeee!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.