1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What effect moving recoil pad to side on POI?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Now I want to know about side to side

I know that raising the comb will raise the POI.

What is the effect on POI of shifting recoil pad to the side. Will it shift POI to the side?:

[​IMG]

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

None..... It may fit you better, therefore keeping you head down on the stock better. The relationship of you eye over the rib and barrel should remain the same. POI will also remain the same.

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

I use a morgan on all of my guns because I tend to raise up on my swing which lowering the pad stops me from doing so.I also find it fits my shoulder pocket better and if not mounted right I get jabed buy the top and bottom wings so my gun is mounted where it should be.with out it I shoot over easy straight a ways all the time.And as said helps to keep my head on the stock

4. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

none as far as POI

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Pattern POI after adjustment just to make sure. Stranger things have happened.

Regards

W&W

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Changing the height/angle/etc of the buttpad MIGHT alter the POI IF such change altered the position of your head/cheek on the stock, resulting in a change in your "sight picture" down the rib. Otherwise, it does not affect POI nor can it be used to create reliable or repeatable changes in POI. For that, you must either raise/lower the comb, or raise/lower the front bead. The reason for adjustable pads is to allow for more comfortable positioning of the pad in the shoulder pocket, help prevent gun canting, and generally make the gun "fit" better, not for POI changes.

Jim R

7. Bushmaster1313

Thanks for all the info

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

That's why you have two beads. If you have a perfect figure eight before and after, you will have the same poi.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Changing the position of the butt pad will change your guns POI. HMB

10. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Changing the position of the butt pad will change the relationship of the check pad to your cheek. It may or may not chenge your POI based on how it may or may not affect your sight picture. Post-2

11. 1st worker

1st worker TS Member

hmb is correct raising or lowering the butt pad will change the point of impact.

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

It can only change the POI if the pad move changes the position of your cheek on the comb and thus the sight line down the rib. If your sight line is the same, then the POI remains the same, no matter where or what direction you move the pad. Moving a comb does change POI because it moves the facial (eye) position relative to the rib, changing the sight line down the rib. A butt pad cannot, in itself, do that.

Jim R

13. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Jim is correct. If the gun has a fixed rib, then the distance or drop between the top of the comb, the top of the rib, and the front bead has not changed so the POI stays the same. All that was done was to create a "monte carlo" style stock which raises the head and neck but not the sighting plane of the eye and front bead.

14. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

Trying to make it more clear:
    If you shoot with the recoil pad partially above your shoulder and drop the pad to fit your shoulder but otherwise keep the exact same relationship between the beads and comb to cheek it shouldn't change your poi; however if that does change it will effect your poi. So pattern to be sure. It doesn't seem to matter for me. I use the morgan pad and since my shoulder seperation it really keeps my mount consistant and more comfortable.

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hunter, I would have thought that using a Morgan pad would have been what lead to the shoulder separation, not treated it.

Neil

16. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

there is only one way to change the "poi": it is moveing your "sighting" eye higher or lower. nothing else matters.

17. Bushmaster1313

Same question for moving recoil pad side to side

18. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

The rear sight on a shotgun is your eye. As long as you keep the same cheek weld on the comb of the stock, moving only the recoil pad in any direction will not change POI. Simply put, to alter POI on a shotgun with a fixed front sight you alter the comb, which changes the relationship of your eye to the front bead, just like a rifle.

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

POI NEVER changes. What most people don't understand is the gun shoots to a single spot(unless something radical is done to the gun ie,bending the bbl,changing the harmonics,etc.) That spot remains the same as long as the alignment of the rib/beads remains the same for each shot. POI WILL change if moving that pad causes you to see the rib/beads in a different way. Moving the pad may make the same alignment easier to attain each time you put the gun to your shoulder. Suppose you clamp the gun very tightly in a vise. The POI will not change if the pad is slid up,down,left,right.

20. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

And you get the same answer. Unless you move either the rear sight (your eye) or the front sight (front bead), changing the eye/bead/rib alignment, you do not change the POI. Does not matter where you or how you move the buttpad.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poi changes with shotgun recoil pad