1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What ear muffs don't interfere with gun stock?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

What ear muffs don

I have recently been looking into getting a pair of ear muffs for shooting. I will wear foam plugs inside this muffs. My question is...every pair I have tried, the gun stock makes contact with while mounting or shooting. Is there a pair out there that is designed better?

Matt

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

When I mount the gun the muff hits. I feel like this may move it around on ear, not providing maximum protection. I can fix it from scratching the stock.

Matt

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is a Pelson shotgun muff that I have found that works. It is tapered towards the bottom.

Don

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I wear my Pro Ears high against the base of my ear with my earlobe tucked inside. They don't make contact that way. They are still so comfortable I forget I have them on.

5. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

yeah but only on one side ! :)

I use a plug on one side and the electronic muff s on the other

Just slide one side up

regards

6. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - I hate to say it but I found a really easy solution in the last month. I just push the right hand ear muff up until it does not hit my stock any more. It still seals my ears off and cuts out the high noise level just fine - and amplefies the discussions around me just fine. I have even noticed that my right ear lobe is sometimes sticking out the bottom of the right muff - but it does not bother any thing. Just my simple solution that works for me. By the way, I have been wearing my regular hearing aids under the muffs and it does not bother a thing. The beav.

7. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

Don't know about the others, but I found mine don't hit when my head is level.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

9. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Matt, Like yourself I wear foam plugs under my muffs, and have always been satisfied with my "Peltor Shotgunner" muffs. YMMV. Cheers-Graham.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I wear the Peltors too and hardly ever hear the muff hitting the comb. I don't mind the noise if made on mounting my gun, however, if I hear it rattling against the comb during a move,, I soon hear another unpleasant sound too,, LOST!! Hap

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Matt,

I have worn plugs ( or foam inserts) under muffs for years..I never notice that they bump and they don't bother me in the least. It may take a little time getting used to but hearing in your old age may have some advantages. I have heard the stock bumping excuse but I believe you can overcome this with time. If surgeons can do heart , eye , brain , etc surgery with gloves on, surely we can learn to shoot with hearing muffs.

Charlie

12. willing

willing Member

I've been trying other peoples muffs for years and have the same problem as you. Just recenly a friend got a pair of Caldwell from Midway. They have two kinds ,one with a tapered bottom. I tried them and they have very little interference or none. And they are inexpensive, around $25.00. Its worth a try. They work fine for me.

Bill

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Peltor Shotgunner Muffs. They are about the closest to clearing the stocks as any I have tried. I just wear the right cup a little higher to clear the stock and put a small strip of plastic "flocking" tape on the bottom of that ear cup, just in case. It's a tape we used for getting rid of squeaks and rattles in a dashboard of a car. It won't hurt the stock if it hits. They are about $20 bucks or less if you shop around. Browning sells a set that are identical for another ten bucks. It's worth a try. If you ever get to DC, Eastern MD, Northern VA, SE PA, or Delaware, you can try a pair of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ear gun stock

ear muffs hitting gun stock

ear muffs rifle stock

ear protection hits rifle

ears stock forum

shooting ear muffs hit gun stock

shotgun stock ear muff interferance

trap shooters muffs hitting the stock