1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What duck call is good or the best????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hydra, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I have looked at duck and goose calls in a number of places. I know there are good ones and there are ones that are just trash and then there are those that are just over priced shiny you just look at callers. I'm hunting the Chesapeake Bay in Va. What have you all found that works and are worth buying when hunting ducks and geese?

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I think it is the guy or gal on the other end that makes the difference.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Hydra,the best call for the money Haydel.This is what I use.Cost around $10.00 or $12.00.The one I like the best Cajun squealer.

I have bought many high dollar calls from $75.00 to $150.00.
    I always go back to the cheap Haydel.They are double reed calls.
    They will not stick on you in cold weather.Cabela's has them,Mack's Prairie Wings also.

Bocephas

4. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I was always partial to the Iverson Timberline Duck Call. Michael

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

For Ducks, the best call is usually the one that stays in your pocket. For geese, any quality short reed call (Sean Mann, Foiles, Primos) but they are not easily mastered.

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Years of hunting ducks and geese has taught me ye who doesn't over-call usually gets the ducks.

I bought some of those expensive calls after hearing guys use them in competitions and sold them or they are laying in a drawer somewhere.

I go right back to my $10.00 Faulks (both Duck and Goose) talk to them a little, especially later in the season.

Concealment, decoy spread, decoy movement and a "little bit of talking" will get you more birds than any $150.00 call.

Spend the extra $$ on good shells and you'll have more on your table.

7. John 53

John 53 Member

StonewallRacing has it right for my money. I tried the duck comander and all those that require the lungs of a bull to blow. Try the Faulks C100 and you will be able to call ducks and still breathe well enough to shoot straight.

John

8. rollnblock

rollnblock Member

duck calls are like trap guns. this one might not fit the next person. each call requires a certain amount of air to blow it. try them out and find they one you like best.
    usually single reed is easier to use than double reeds. It seems the more air required the louder the call. you might want a few calls some loud and some soft. also the advantage of more tones, making it seem like more ducks are talking. I keep 4 with me at all times. all of differant volumes. each one has a purpose.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Double reed calls are generally easier to master than single reed. Usually a good single reed will squeal easier than a double reed. It is harder to "overblow" a double reed. The configuration and the diameter of the mouth piece may fit one hunter better than the next. Some calls blow easier or take less air to develope the right sounds. What sounds good indoors, doesn't always work in the timber or on open water. A timber call requires less volumn, but more precise cut off notes. Big water calls require volumn, but the ability to tone it down when birds close-in. Thats probably why I have 147 duck calls. It is most important to call at the right time. Wingtips and tail feathers.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Glynn Scobey calls....inexpensive, easy to use and sound good.

But what I have found to be the best Goose call: 100 lb. bag of corn!

Curt

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

rollnblock must be a real duck hunter and has said it all. I carry a few calls every time to the blind. On my lanyard are a couple of Faulks, Haydel's, an RNT, and two DU join and you get one free ?? brand. The Faulks go back to the mid 60's and the Haydel's the early 90's. I do have favorites 100 Faulk and the Wench in the Haydel. I use whatever is working that day to get the birds in to the decoys, and some days that means leaving them put away. Just fine one you can blow well and buy two of the same and have them voiced differently.
    Head Down and Keep Swinging once the birds are on a string. Wayne

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have a Duck commander "ole Raspy" I use along with my Faulks.

Like the other posters say different calls at different situations. We hunt mainly in marsh/open water areas and some fields here in WI.

Don't overblow, don't overcall is more important than the actual call.

SW

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

My dad bought me a duck call back in the 70's that has a brass reed and beautiful wood. It is marked with the intials E.D. Any idea who made this call?
    Once you get it tuned it sounds great.

14. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Hoosier Daddy, yeah your right what you said about yourself but it was a good one HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

grnberetcj, the corn is a excellent idea but it does attract one other item, those damn pests called GAME WARDEN'S. They can ruin all hunts with paper work.

15. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

My favorite is an old double reed Yentzen. Easy to blow, never hangs up.......Roger

16. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Funny how you go from one call to another.Started out on a PS OLT.Then went to Yentzen,Carlson,and Hadel.

Takes a bushel basket of balls to blow a PS OLT.

MR Ducks.

Bocephas

17. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

My favorite duck call is a Faulks WA-33A.It has good rasp and you can get good volume over open water.

Dr. Honk

18. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Give Buck Gardner a phone call or look him up on the web buckgardner.com Ask him about his "Double Nasty II". $25 double reed duck call, they don't come any better for the money. Tell him Ernie from Canada sent you..

19. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

My father who would be 114 if alive, thought the duck call was the greatest conservation device ever invented. He could call ducks using his hand like a trumpet. He would occasionally revert to a PS Olt. D Winter

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My son had a Mallardtone call that had a softer reed, It was the Hen model.

I would take him to the Wildlife sanctuary here and leave him for a few hours, and he would talk to the ducks. He was 14 and loved it.

You would not believe how good that made him.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how good isfaulks duck call c100

trap shooting over chesapeake bay waters