1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What drink for high heat and humidity?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 320090T, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I read on here that water is good but lots flushes you out. What drink do you use to supplement or take the place of water?

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Gatorade or something similar to replace the electrolytes in your body. But you CANNOT drink enough water. If you are urinating a lot then you have enough water intake, but if you are not urinating then you are not drinking enough water. Your urine should be a very light yellow almost clear when you do urinate.

All of you during the Grand need to at the minimum drink a gallon of water per day. Stay clear of soda and beer until at the end of your day. Good luck and stay cool and hydrated.

Bryan

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I drink a lot of unsweetened tea when it gets hot. It keeps me alert throughout the day.

If I'm shooting, I watch my intake closely as I can get a bit jittery if I drink too much.

ss

4. psfive

psfive Member

I read where someone said if you don't have to pee you are not drinking enough water. Paul in Nebraska.

5. setool

setool Member

Bud Select is my refreshment of choice... Cheers !!!

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

My personal favorite is low sodium vegetable juice 8 - 12oz first thing in the morning and at supper time and plenty of water all day long but the sports drinks work well for a quick replenishment as long as you don't have issues with sugar. If you do be careful which sport drink you use.

For the water I usually try to drink 6 - 10 oz at a time and I prefer mine at ambient temperature because drinking cold water when I am hot gives me an instant brain freeze and headache.

As said above stay clear of the fizzy stuff until you have cooled down some afterwards. I still have my morning coffee but won't drink any more till I have cooled down some afterwards either.

--- Chip King ---

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Water.

You should not drink tea in the heat if it has caffeine in it. Anything with caffeine in it should be avoided.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

To piggy back on timb99 comment. The reason for this is because caffeine is a diuretic, which will dehydrate not hydrate you.

Bryan

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

One of my mentors worked outdoors in the heat for a good 60 years doing manual labor. His solution was water with a squirt of lemon in it nothing else.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"But you CANNOT drink enough water."</blockquote>Oh, but you CAN...in fact, you can drink too much water. Clear urine isn't healthy; there should be some color to it.

If your electrolytes and carbs are out of balance, no amount of water is going to do you much good. Salt and potassium are absolutely essential for the body to absorb the water you're feeding it into the blood and tissue. A 5 oz can of V-8 (low sodium or regular, I prefer low sodium) cut 4-to-1 with water at mid morning and another at mid afternoon will replace what you lose and make absorbing water into the blood (that's where it's needed, guys) much easier.

MK

12. Loyac

Loyac Member

Caffeine is sometimes called "theine" when it's in tea. Some cultures advocate the drinking of tea in warmer climates. As you sweat (due to dehydration caused by the caffeine), evaporation cools you down. john

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

WATER....

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Any liquid consumed in an air conditioned area!

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

While caffeine may make you sweat, and temporarily cool you off, you MUST replace those liquids lost to sweat. Drinking more caffeinated tea will only make you sweat more, and dehydrate. It doesn't rehydrate your body.

Drink what you want. I'll stick to water and Gatorade.

16. capulona

capulona TS Member

I play soccer during the summer - Gatorade before activity, water during, then back to Gatorade.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gatorade works well but you should cut it with water because you don't need all of the sugar ... There are Hydration drinks you can buy in packets that are sugar free and it makes it so you can drink more water without feeling bloated or filled up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cool tap water. Bottled water is unncessarily expensive and confers no benefit other than portability. Why waste your hard-earned money?

19. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

To quote Rudyard Kipling from his poem Gunga Din, "When it comes to slaughter, you'll do your work on water, and lick the blommin' boots of 'im that's got it."

Ed Ward

20. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

When I raced mountain bikes I would drink one Powerade to 3 waters before the race, water during the race along with 20oz of CytoMax sportsdrink, then a heavy recovery drink afterwards. Since your not doing that much physicaly Sports nutritionists say to cut Powerade or Gatorade 50/50 with water for most activity. This will keep your electrolites up. You will want plain water now and then. Eat salty foods like power bars and nuts which will make you want to drink and help with electrolites too.

The most important thing to remember is that your body can only absorb about half of what you can sweat out. So you have to start out ahead with your water intake. Have your one cup of coffee, but drink water before and after. Caffiene is a diuretic but since your not pushing it physically I wouldn't worry too much about some. Just not alot.

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.