1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what does tunning a barell mean and i$ it worth it

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by need to shoot more, Aug 13, 2013.

1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hello All,
    I raised a question on another thread with no response so here we are. I shoot a KX-5 which I owned for about two years now.I shoot it very well but still drop a bird or two or three that I should not. Yes stopping the gun and shooting over the birds I can see my mistakes. What can Wilkerson,Wright or the other guys do for me amd how will they do it and finially about what co$t?

Thank You,
    Jim Z

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you want to buy targets, Walmart is a lot cheaper.

Your KX-5 will still stop and shoot over the birds after you spend all that money.

HM

3. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

There are four basic items which can be done to a barrel. Whether or not they will help your gun will depend on testing done by you or one of the specialty shops. They are :

Screw in chokes ( Briley, Wright, etc...)
    Porting ( Magna Port )
    Lengthened forcing cones
    Back boring ( Wilkerson )

Here is an article which appeared in Target Shotgun Sports on Barrel tuning :

http://shotgunreport.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/barrel-modifications-2/

As to the cost, it will depend on the shop of your choice, but you could probably have all of the above mentioned items done to a barrel and be under 3k.

None of these items will probably help with your particular model or add any bird to your average , but I tried to answer your question.

Lou

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jim, any of the good barrel tuners can make a bad barrel shoot better. They can not make a good barrel shoot better; however, they can make it shoot differently.

The first thing you have to decide is whether there is something wrong with the patterns your barrel/choke(s) throws. Shooting enough patterns and counting enough holes will tell you that.

If you decide your patterns can use some improvement, call the smiths you are interested in and talk to them. They each have a different approach.

If you have a fixed choke barrel and want it to remain so, your only choice is to have barrel work done. That means reconfiguring the choke at a minimum, and more than likely the forcing cone. Recutting the choke means they will have to enlarge the bore to even things out. Cost is between $300 and $350 depending on who does the work.

If you have choke tubes, the first thing I would try is changing tubes. Try a Wright's IM tube and see what happens. He uses the old Herb Orr/Winchester profile and it is effective. You might also try Brileys, but I was never happy with the patterns out of my 12 ga. However, the Brileys pattern great out of my 20 ga. Go figure.

For what it is worth, I prefer fixed chokes. I've had Wilkinson and Allor barrels. IMO, Allor does a much better job, especially on finish.

5. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

If you are consistently missing 1-2 tgts./100 and you are positively sure your gun fits, then yes. See a good barrel-smith. I vote for Wilkinson for OU's and Allor for autos - have had both done and both are excellent.

If.........your gun fits and you've had it checked by a prof. gunfitter, then if you look only at the tgt., your eyes are going to that spot, then the pellets will follow right where you were looking. I've been thru this and thought my shooter was a good fit - wrong. The pattern board for POI/POA is one thing, and a place to start, but it isn't the end.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I may be a simpleton on this but I don't believe any of the barrel mods will make your KX5 shoot better than it does right now. I would think the people that made your gun know how to make a good shotgun barrel.

Spend your money on ammo and targets and you will have a better chance of making those one or two bird loss calls go away.

7. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Tuning a barrel = lowering the value!

8. jimsw

jimsw Member

Let me understand. You are dropping 1 or 2 targets per 100. So you are averaging 98 to 99, right? So what is the problem?

Believe me you don't have a gun problem and no amount of barrel work is going to help you pick up 1 or 2 birds. If it did then you telling us your average would be about 100? If you can do that you are headed for the record book.

Spend the money on a clinic with someone like Phil Kiner or Harlan Campbell. They will pick up your mistakes in the basics. Trapshooting is not a technical game.

To quote Frank Little, "When something goes wrong the answer is in the basics".

Good luck.

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

My thoughts on "Tuning a Barrel" are mixed. The term actually makes me slightly ill. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors applied to this practice, by shooters discussing it, than actual facts. I have patterned guns and loads until I nearly lost my mind, counting pellet holes in paper while going through Gunsmithing school, and came up with my own conclusions.

Shooting a shotgun with over .040" of constriction will lead to some great smoke when centered on the target. Shooting a choke with .030" of choke will get you that one target, we all wish we had, added to our score occasionally. The quality and consistency of the pattern are way more important than the degree of constriction provided as long as it's adequate. It's not an art form like music, it's just great attention to detail and machining practices. They all seem to give their customers great quality chokes with .030" to .035" of constriction for the 27 yard line. No one can argue with their results by so many happy customers. Do I think it's worth it? YES, and I own several with the first being stamped (C.C. Seitz) who I think perfected the process for others to follow. Duane

10. X1

X1 Well-Known Member

I personally think that a very good mod to a barrel is to have the forcing cone lengthened to around 2.5 inches and polished, causing the pattern density to be increased to around 8%. This mod can usually be done for less then $100 and is in my view a very good cost verses benefit modification to a barrel.I have had it done to a couple barrels and I have been happy with the results.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The FIRST THING you need to determine is, "What kind of patterns does your gun shoot now."

Until you know that, you have no idea whether you need anything done or not.

It's like buying a car, driving it for a while, but never once checking the gas mileage or elapsed time on a drag strip, but then taking it to a mechanic to get better gas mileage and faster times.

You get it back, and you like how it drives, and he says he improved it, but you don't know, really, if the guy actually did anything or not.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Tuning a Bbl is getting it to shoot at your specs, he needs to know just what type of problem you are having before they can do anything.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

jIMZ did not say he was missing one or two or three out of a hundred. Perhaps it is out of 25? I also missed mention of the ammunition being used. It could be a simple change in what he is feeding it might make the difference... Larry

14. 3357

3357 Member

Dropping a bird or two that you shouldnt, is more likely due to brain flatulance rather than a bad barrel. Check between the ears before you tune the pipe.

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Need to Shoot More,

Tom Wilkinson and company "tune" a barrel by changing the profile of the bore. That means the taper in the forcing cone, the diameter of the bore and the choke. I doubt any of us know exactly what they do, but the general principal is that they apply what is marketed as tighter tolerances to the dimensions in the barrel. They also choke the barrels to your specs, depending on what yardage you shoot (singles, doubles, handicap).

Only you can determine if this has value. Neil Winston has done a whole lot of pattern work and my interpretation of what I have read is that tight chokes are what gets you the most pellets in a 30" circle at handicap yardage. So if you have a fixed choke barrel that is too loose, then perhaps one of these barrel "tuners" could tighten up your choke. If you have choke tubes, you may want to just buy a tighter set of chokes to try to get the same effect.

One thing is true, there are a heck of a lot of successful trap shooters who have modified their barrels. YMMV.

16. need to shoot more

Ok Guys I appreciate all of the replies and let me come clean. I am a casual shooter at best was out last night and shot 22,23,23 I dropped 2 of them because of distractions on the line ( my bad ) the others I shot over. I may shoot 100 a week but sometimes a 100 a month with work#1,work#2 ,school and family.

I reload with red dot,rem wads and gun club hulls and cci 209 primers.I have never patterned the gun yet ( please forgive :). I was just curious on the tuning, yes between the ears can be distracting at times.

Thank You,
    Jim Z

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Once you get better than your equipment, then it'll be time for a change!

Curt

18. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Tuning always helps the tuner. Rarely does it actually improve the shooter. Kinda like putting chrome on a Harley....makes you think it goes faster.....m

19. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Jim, as with any form of the shooting sports the more you shoot, the more you focus, the more attention you pay to detail the more proficient you will become.
    I would suggest a couple trips to the pattern board. Not to count how many shot hit where but just to see where your point of impact is. You might find that just a bit of a tweak on the gun will put the point of impact where you are trying to point. I also am not able to do a bunch of shooting but I shoot all I can, I found that changes to the way the gun fits increased my scores a bunch. My gun (competition synthetic 1100) came with a "tuned" barrel but untill I got the shot going where it was supposed to in might just as well have been a piece of pipe. I use Red Dot, FIO primers, green duster wads and Remington hulls, a basic load. Just keep having fun and attempting to place the lead where its supposed to go. The good shooters keep telling me "someday you will get there" Larry

20. need to shoot more

Curt please explain???