1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does TO mean?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi-Mx8, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi-Mx8

Perazzi-Mx8 TS Member

I was at the Missouri Fall Handicap and have noticed on the leaderboards some of the shooters have a special class TO. Does any one know what that stands for?

2. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Probably "Targets Only", at some (larger) shoots you can enter without meeting a minimum target requirement, but to be eligible for purses and trophies would need to shoot from penalty yardage. Or, you can elect to shoot "Targets Only" from your normal yardage or class, and forfeit the right to monies or trophies.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Targets Only

4. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I found out the hard way that it means you shoot for "Targets Only", which means you forfeit any right to purses, trophies, etc., even if you are the high score. However, your targets are registered and count towards your average and total target number. I found this out the hard way this year when I shot in my first big shoot. I still can't explain how I ended up TO.

Dave

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

LFT687 - You probably paid less for the targets taking you out of the competition. You shot registered practice.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Registered practice that put targets toward your target minimums. So at least it won't continue to happen to you. Eventually you will have the minimums needed to shoot your own Class and Yardage. Then no more TO unless you want to shoot TO.

Bob Lawless

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Dave -

It happens at classification. Just a guess, but if they looked at your card which said "20 yards" but you didn't meet the target minimums, they probably told you that you would have to shoot from the 25. If you said you didn't want to do that, then you were marked TO. Might not have been explained to you as such.

I'v also never been anywhere that shooting TO is any cheaper. You still pay the same target fees as everyone else. You are prohibited from playing any options, so from that perspective it would be cheaper but the target fees are the same.

Also keep in mind that if you shoot a handicap event TO you still can get a punch even though you can't win any trophies or money.

Scott

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have been to numerous local registered shoots where the Targets Only option was as much as $10 cheaper than normal.---Matt

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Matt -

Local shoots maybe, but the OP indicated it was a "big shoot". I've never been to a big shoot that had a different price for targets if you were shooting TO. None of the local shoots in our area do this, although none of the local shoots have target minimums that would make TO needed. In our area clubs do have TO shoots and those are usually cheaper (due to no trophies) but I've never seen an event that mixes trophies with TO.

Scott

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott--Agreed i did not catch the "Big Shoot" part. This was at smaller local shoots and no target minimums but yes mixed with trophys and TO's. I honestly think its used in an effort to attract a few more shooters being cheaper prices. I personally have never used it but we did for my son when he first started shooting.---Matt

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

so if it's NOT cheaper to shoot TO, why do it? If you shoot TO you aren't eligible for trophys, so if it is same money just don't enter any options and you can still win a trophy. Never paid attention at EVERY shoot i go to but when i have, TO was cheaper. mark crist

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham Trap T.O. means no options but you are still eligable for class & yardage money as we pay that out from the target fees we collect. It's our decision to do that as a thank you to the shooters.

Eric

13. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Terrell Owens................YUKYUKYUK

14. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

From some shoots, I've been told that TO stands for Targets Only. The reason to do it? Is so you can shoot from assigned class/yardage, and not from any penalty class/yardage. If the shoot charges less for TO, then that means that part of the entry fees/target fees are used as prizes. Like taking $3 or $6 from each paid fee for class or yardage purses. It's a way to get new shooters feet wet and pay less, and build up target totals & confidence. Thanks David

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Absolutely not. TO means time out. If you shoot a poor score, you are required to take a time out, sit on the bench and say awful things to yourself.

Pat Ireland

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

It mean TORONTO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.