1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does this mean on a charge bar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RickA, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

I have a reloading press that I picked up that has a charge bar that says 20ga.
    #2 on it. Can someone explain to me what this meeans. I'm familiar with the current marking system that uses interchangable powder bushing but I don't know what this one means.
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If it's a Mec, they used a different part number system some years ago. They had fixed shot and powder cavities. The newer ones have interchangeable powder bushings. I don't remember exactly what the #2 bar would drop, so you could set it up and weigh the shot and powder drops. Most likely, you should just put it aside and get a newer bar with interchangeable bushings.

3. RickA

RickA Member

Yes it's a Mec and I figured that's what they used to use. I wa just hoping someone would know off hand what the shot drop was.
    Thanks for the info
    Rick

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sorry, I can't help. When I read the title I thought you were asking about a bar that allowed you to charge drinks.

Pat Ireland

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Go to the MEC website and it will have a listing of all those charge bars..I used to use a 16g2h to load field 20s and it threw something like 18gr of herco and an ounce of shot.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rick, a #2 20 Gauge: 2-1/4 dram equiv. 7/8 oz. shot

14.5 grains 700x

19 grains PB

19 grains Alcan 120

24 grains Alcan #5

Thats from a 1966 MEC manual. Hope that helps, Wayne

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You have your answer. TS.com (wayneo)comes through again. 22 minutes!

8. RickA

RickA Member

"Sorry, I can't help. When I read the title I thought you were asking about a bar that allowed you to charge drinks".

Nice Pat, Guess I know how what I will need to do if I'm ever in a shoot off with you, LOL free drinks are on me......
    Thanks a bunch guys I knew someone would know. My reloading books don't go back far enough to cover this info.
    Rick

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thought I'd try a pic of the old Mec manual. Notice $3.50 for each charge bar. Wayne

[​IMG]

10. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Wayneo - You by chance couldn't put the 12 ga. up could you?

Thanks,

Rod

11. 1dudley

1dudley Member

Those wad pressures on wayneo's posting are out of sight.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rick, 2 l/2 dram equiv. is the normal load in a 20 ga. shell. So the 2 l/4 dram equiv. your bar throws should be slower than the normal 7/8 oz. of shot @ l,200 fps.

I second the motion of showing the one for 12 ga. as well, if you can Wayneo??? I have a old 12 ga. bar marked -0- and was told and used it for Red Dot powder back when it was Hercules made. Now its been changed and made by Alliant. Break-em all. Jeff

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Here you guys go. Remember, those wad pressures are for over-powder cards, and fiber wads. Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I found another one from 1964. It has the "0" bars, and shows plastic wads * * IE: Power Piston, Win-Wad, and Flite-Max. Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thank You Wayne, After I could not find the O bar and saw that all wads were the two piece fiber type I knew it was produced after that sheet, because I always loaded the Win. AA wad. Then I saw the next post with that bar in it, was nice to know the other powders it worked with. I thought it was for Red Dot only. I was just a 12 year old kid when I started loading. I watched my father several times and then he watched me a couple of times and then I did all the loading for the both of us. It was a 600 jr. old type and the memories are all still there. All Good. Break-em all. Jeff

16. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Thank you Wayne.

Rod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herco powder and flitemax wads

what does it mean to charge bar