1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does the picture tell me?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mad_dawg, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

Everyone likes to "buy right" concerning price and condition. What does this picture say to you concerning the condition and relative amount of wear? What are the visual objective grading criteria?
    [​IMG]

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bottom barrel shot more than top. Fair amount of rounds through both.

Mild galling on the shoulders of the action. Check forend for same.

Lots of old, dry powder residue - suggests gun is not shot often (at least of late) and neither is it cleaned often.

Vertical line on breech face shows primer drag - not necessarily a big deal - depends on the timing of the extractors/ejectors - might want to remove them from the barrels and check the springs and channels.

Cocking rods show some peening on the ends (normal to some degree) - I'd want to know how many rounds through the gun - if a BIG number this is to be expected, if a smaller number things may be a bit 'sticky' inside.

Worth a good stripping and cleaning 1) to evaluate, 2) it could use it anyway.

How do the barrels look?

3. us820

us820 Active Member

Tells me the guy didn't clean the gun much and it's been shot dirty.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

looks pretty much normal, for a trap gun.

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

HSLDS

Are you sure that is primer drag, or could it be shell casing head drag from the bottom barrel shell upon closing?

I seem to see a drag line on the left side of the picture, and I don't believe this could be primer drag.

I'm no expert, just askin'.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bvr trail,

You are correct - I've just always heard it referred to as 'primer drag' - never really thought it through, but more likely the edge of the shell.

Regardless, this is a DT-10 and you would not expect to see it in that gun.

Good call.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Breech looks like the receiver end of a tube gun.

Price right? good fit and lock up on barrels?

If you don't know, let some one who does check it out.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I bet 90% of the markings you saw in this picture can be cleaned out if you know how to do it properly.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Tells me that it's not good to buy something only on a picture. A camera can make guns look better than they are. Some make them look bad when they're perfectly ok.

This shot makes the receiver look like it's warped. Just the lens but not a good enough pic to hang your hat on anything.

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

most important is that he really does have it

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Picture quality is poor always get good pictures and lots of close ups then ask all the right questions is it all original ? altered who did the work ? condition of lock, wood, blueing,bore,barrel tightness and rib check barrels with gun open for side movement barrel to face clearance should be nil no light between barrels and receiver. The regulation of barrels POI gun needs to be shot for this I always like to shoot a gun first before purchase or request a 3 day inspection with permission to shoot it with factory ammo. I would rather buy a used gun than a new one because of the ability to shoot it before buying.. Some new gun dealers will let you shoot a gun before buying and that is great and you must show great care of that gun the dealer deserves that in return.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Lighting is your friend or your enemy. Move the object around and find the angle where the light works best for you. Try, never, to use the flash built in to your camera. They are usually too harsh.