1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does the bead do for you ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by new zealand trapper, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new zealand trapper

new zealand trapper TS Member

Guy at gun club told me you dont need a bead its just a waste of time ! i thought about this for a while and said hell i will take the whole damm rib off my k 80 trap special and shoot 25 tgts from 22 meters and see what happens ! Well bugger me i smoked the lot with what i thought was the uglyist gun i have ever mounted ! it looked so wrong when i mounted it! i had to try not to laugh each time . Problem is now i cant see the point in having a big white bead in front of me let alone a rib , it was a case of call pull and shoot tgt no thinking or anything . i guess we all need a bead to make it fell right but once the gun fits you can throw it away ?Do you think this is right or was it just a case of shit luck ! Cheers

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oh, Hell, run 200 straight and get back to us...

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do what ever works. HMB

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My bead broke off of my BT99 a couple of years ago. Still gone. Guess I don't miss it.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

NZT.........Were you shooting off the rear rib ramp or the barrel?

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Gives me something to look at when I pull trigger and an excuse for missing the target.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just use them as a reference point for gun fit. I don't understand people that remove them though.

Jb

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

To me a gun with a white bead is a must but just because I like the looks of it. When I shoot it may as well be gone because I dont see it. shotgun is meant to be pointed, not aimed

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

You break the bird with the bead!!..Show me any all American that shoots a gun with no bead...SMOKIT

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

It provides you a frame of reference so your peripheral vision can determine the correct lead.

There is not one shooter near the top in ANY clay target sport that shoots w/ out a bead.

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

What Cubancigar said.

12. BigM-Perazzi

Skeets, Faulds has been known to remove his beads....

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

BigM-Pman,

Can't be as skeet_man has evidently closely surveyed every top shooter in every sport and he knows for sure! Just ask him and he'll tell ya.

Do my guns have beads???? I'll have to go look--since I shoot with profound meritocracy I'll bet they fell off at some point.

I've been wondering what that pronounced fuzzy black thing was in my sight picture as I pull the trigger. Maybe if I get rid of that I'll be better able to see skeet's beads.

Guy B.

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Mary Meadows shot a Remington M31 with no bead and is in the Hall of Fame. D Winter

15. skeet_man

BigM- I stand corrected. According to Wikipedia, Richard suffered from a weak left eye as a youth, so vision problems may have contributed to his choice.

Can anyone think of any other current top shooter in any clay target sport?

Guy B- I do keep track of most of the top shooters in all of the clay target disciplines (skeet, trap, sporting clays, FITASC, and all of the ISSF events), probably more so than most.

Far more top shooters are using Hiviz or similar sights on their guns than are using no beads, that would seem to counter the "no bead" proponents.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The only thing a bead does is show me that's not the end I put in the shells:0)

Ajax

17. BigM-Perazzi

Amazing the number of Hiviz sights top shooters receiving endorsement $$'s...

Anything used as a reference will work, toothpick, ladybug, hell, I've even shot with a dragonfly out there!

18. skeet_man

Not sure if anyone would consider me a "top shooter", but I did have the 9th highest HOA average, 9th highest 12ga average, and 4th highest 410 average in NSSA last year (Open teams, not concurrent). I've been using a Hiviz Comp-Sight since 2004 or 2005, and haven't received anything from Hiviz for its use.

LP Giambrone also uses the same sight, and is not listed as a Hiviz Prostaff member, so I'd be surprised if he got anything either.

19. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

The problem with shotgunning is not the front bead....its always the rear sight.

20. skeet_man

BigM- I stand corrected. According to Wikipedia, Richard suffered from a weak left eye as a youth, so vision problems may have contributed to his choice.

Can anyone think of any other current top shooter in any clay target sport?

Guy B- I do keep track of most of the top shooters in all of the clay target disciplines (skeet, trap, sporting clays, FITASC, and all of the ISSF events), probably more so than most.

Far more top shooters are using Hiviz or similar sights on their guns than are using no beads, that would seem to counter the "no bead" proponents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.