1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does that do???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RidefastShootstraight, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidefastShootstraight

RidefastShootstraight TS Member

Guys, just wondering, when a gun is in MOUNTED position, if the recoil pad rotates horizontally is called " pitch", what if it rotates vertically, what is that called? and what will it do if it is changed? all stocks I have seen have that part relatitively square.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

You're not even close. Stand the gun with the butt-pad flat on the floor and the receiver touching the wall....the distance between the muzzle and the wall is the amount of down-pitch. With the butt-pad flat on the floor....if the muzzle touches the wall first, the distance from receiver to the wall is up-pitch.

Buz

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Guys, just wondering, when a gun is in MOUNTED position, if the recoil pad rotates horizontally is called " pitch", what if it rotates vertically, what is that called? and what will it do if it is changed? all stocks I have seen have that part relatively square."</blockquote>

According to Bob Brister, in his book Shotgunning: The Art and Science, rotating the pad vertically provides "cast". If the toe (bottom) of the pad is rotated away from the center of the shooter's chest, he says it is cast OFF. The purpose is to allow the pad to align correctly into the angled shoulder pocket of the majority of the shooters who are not skinny. He puzzles as to why gun manufacturers continue to build stocks that are vertical in this area when the average shooter is not (cost and convenience being 2 that come immediately to mind). Rotating the pad vertically keeps me from laying the gun over while swinging to track hard angles.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.